Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want better, but if we are producing players capable of 300+ games in a top 7 side then the academy is doing a good job.

Manchester United had the likes of Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Phil Neville, Darron Gibson, Darren Fletcher as part of title winning squads playing 30+ games a season.

Osman wasn't world class but we've spend £25m on Bolasie and Klaassen and £45m on Sigurdsson and two of them aren't fit to lace his boots and the other is no better.

No what it said was that they were Mr Dependables and wouldn’t get near any other top team in the country. But because they played 300+ games it’s been accepted that they’re good when in reality they weren’t.

Bizarre that you’re using Man United in this comparison, a Utd team that had been under the guidance of the most successful manager ever and it was driven into the players what was expected. Not to mention they were also playing alongside some of the worlds best players. But weirdly enough were all sold because they were not important.

But seeing as this as swung off topic my point stands, our youth team players are not at the level that some people think they are, in particular @Zatara who has this weird obsession that the goalless centre forward is of the second coming

At most I think we should make 5 major signings. More than that and the team may not settle.

The derby showed how we need someone who has quality on the ball in the middle of the park but also gets around the pitch decently. Basically Rooney or Barry of last season with "legs". Otherwise we will always struggle against the better sides.

We also need a left midfielder who is consistent, allowing Sigurdsson to primarily play at number 10. Before Sigg was injured he was playing out there due to lack of a quality option.

We need a left back, indisputably, of a similar quality to Baines.

We need a centre half to partner Keane. Jagielka is 36, Williams is a cart horse and Mori has been injured for a very long time.

Finally we need another forward who presses from the front and links up play.

At most I think we should make 5 major signings. More than that and the team may not settle.

The derby showed how we need someone who has quality on the ball in the middle of the park but also gets around the pitch decently. Basically Rooney or Barry of last season with "legs". Otherwise we will always struggle against the better sides.

We also need a left midfielder who is consistent, allowing Sigurdsson to primarily play at number 10. Before Sigg was injured he was playing out there due to lack of a quality option.

We need a centre half to partner Keane. Jagielka is 36, Williams is a cart horse and Mori has been injured for a very long time.

Agree wit h3 of the 5

Left midfielder we have Onyekuru, Dowell & Lookman all returning. Another left midfielder coming in would clog up one of them getting that spot.

Centre forward position you just described Calvert Lewin

But i agree with the rest mate, no squad players, no potential, 3 prime major signing, preferivbly in the 23-26 age bracket ready to be in there peak

I've never understood the bile directed at Osman on these pages. I always thought he was a fine player - skillful, clever, imaginative, and a decent goalscorer. Never had the build or speed for the era he played in, unfortunately, and would have been held in much higher regard in the 70s and 80s. I also think he would have prospered in a team like Arsenal. One of his biggest problems with us was having the likes of Hibbert and Neville at fullback behind him. Regardless of any qualities they might have had - especially Hibbert - neither could get the ball to Osman quickly enough so, by the time he received it, he was no longer in space and was having to fend off his marker.

Do you suffer from any form of blindness or memory loss?

Osman could rival Davies for passing to the opposition.

I would loan everyone out to the championship next season for them all to gain experience and buy all the players from the relegated clubs

Agree wit h3 of the 5

Left midfielder we have Onyekuru, Dowell & Lookman all returning. Another left midfielder coming in would clog up one of them getting that spot.

But i agree with the rest mate, no squad players, no potential, 3 prime major signing, preferivbly in the 23-26 age bracket ready to be in there peak

Agree with most of that except the DCL remark
DCL is not a CF
A CF scores goals DCL doesn’t

Agree wit h3 of the 5

All 3 of those you mentioned are unproven and inconsistent and Calvert Lewin is a striker who doesn't score goals.

If you want us to have a chance of finishing top 7 and winning a trophy we need better than that.

I'd argue 3 top signings, to avoid gelling issues of this season, a LB, a CB and a left footed winger who can score and assist. That should see us push for top 6, then reassess for 1 or 2 signings in Jan, a forward if Cenk isn't cutting it and a CM that can pass if Rooney or Siggy aren't working out and depending on how the season is going. I'm not gonna go all footie manager and say who to sign cuz honestly I don't know but our left side is weak and our CB partnerships are dodgy. Keane partnered with a younger ball playing defender could work well.

Signing Vardy wouldn't be terrible in its own right, but signing Vardy for £40m and paying him £150k a week (which is effectively what we're talking about) would possibly be the worst piece of business the club has ever done, and there's an awful lot of competition.

Similar with the others really, Jones isn't a terrible player, but nor is he the sort of player who is likely to push us any further forward than we are. He's an improvement on what we have, but then so are about 50% of centre halves in the world. Wilshere's performances at Bournemouth concerned me - is he someone who looks good when surrounded by Sanchez, Ozil, Aubameyang etc but will fade into averageness when tasked with actually pulling the strings himself? If we were paying £100k a week for the Bournemouth Wilshere it would just about sum up the absolute shambles we've become at recruitment.

Spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back