Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Portugal and Russia you can stock up on cheap Brazilians. In the UK they wont get permits unless theyre already well established.

Not entirely true mate, a hell of a lot of South American lads will have or be able to obtain dual nationality, 3 of the starting 11 for Shahktar for example, Bernard, Ferreyra and Marlos have that.

Also the exceptional talent rule will apply as well, it's how Richalison obtained his work permit at 20 having never played in Europe or having only a handful of Brazil under 21 caps to his name - and only cost 11m so wasn't like it was the fee that pushed him over the line

I am fairly interested with how wolves go about what they are doing

Are they using them as a shop window for Jorge Mendes, give them a taste of english football prove they are capible to then sell players on? Like Porto/Benfica did for so many years, or are they actually going to make a big go of doing something and making sure the players stay put?

They have the backing to not have to sell, but it all depends what they are being used for, i heard they were close to getting Adrien Silva from Milan in January too

Based on nothing more than a gut feeling I think a few of the Wolves players will leave this summer for reasonable fees.
To me it looks like Wolves approached Mendes to get enough quality players to get them into the PL
Mendes agreed but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are reasonable buy out clauses or gentleman’s agreements that they can leave if bigger clubs come in.
As you said Wolves have the financial backing to buy better players once they get to the PL or maybe Mendes will source them better players than they have now
From what I’ve read a lot of Championship clubs are not happy about what’s going on at Wolves

Based on nothing more than a gut feeling I think a few of the Wolves players will leave this summer for reasonable fees.
To me it looks like Wolves approached Mendes to get enough quality players to get them into the PL
Mendes agreed but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are reasonable buy out clauses or gentleman’s agreements that they can leave if bigger clubs come in.
As you said Wolves have the financial backing to buy better players once they get to the PL or maybe Mendes will source them better players than they have now
From what I’ve read a lot of Championship clubs are not happy about what’s going on at Wolves

Mate the Chinese company that bought wolves also holds a pretty significant minority stake now in Gestifute - Mendes agency?

Mendez and various other of the gestifute agents have worked in advisory roles for the Wolves owners on deals, he's in balls deep with them and he won't be doing anything to jeopardize a very lucrative long term relationship they will have together.

Chances are they could end up just being a constant funnel of Mendes clients into the league for knock down prices and contracts, with Mendes and the club making a massive profit on when they move them on etc.

Mate the Chinese company that bought wolves also holds a pretty significant minority stake now in Gestifute - Mendes agency?

Mendez and various other of the gestifute agents have worked in advisory roles for the Wolves owners on deals, he's in balls deep with them and he won't be doing anything to jeopardize a very lucrative long term relationship they will have together.

Chances are they could end up just being a constant funnel of Mendes clients into the league for knock down prices and contracts, with Mendes and the club making a massive profit on when they move them on etc.
As I said it was a gut feeling
I didn’t know the Chinese had bought a stake in Mendes company
They obviously done their homework to make sure they get the players they need.
Still if big enough clubs come in for them I can see their better players looking to move

You could say championship clubs are not happy with whats going on at wolves, but i pretty much guess wolves fans dont really care at the moment.
I see it as, if it wasent for Mendes and the chairman, then they would just be championship fodder still, we dont know what there long term intentions are but if the ydo have good long term intentions i could see them taking the league by storm over the next couple of seasons as the "story" of wolves continues. I would say its sour grapes from all other championship clubs probably,

They could of sold Helder Costa last january and last summer if the were looking at the tactic of shop window- sell players on - low sell on fees but nice agent fees

Teams are finding new ways to be ran, dosent always necessarily make it bad

As I said it was a gut feeling
I didn’t know the Chinese had bought a stake in Mendes company
They obviously done their homework to make sure they get the players they need.
Still if big enough clubs come in for them I can see their better players looking to move

I agree with that mate when it comes to 2-3 prem clubs, barca, madrid, milan, juve etc.
But from terms of us trying to get maybe Costa or Neves, they will be told to stay put, wait for a big big boy to come in i reckon

In Portugal and Russia you can stock up on cheap Brazilians. In the UK they wont get permits unless theyre already well established.
People are taking these Brazilian comments far to seriously. The only actual point is we don’t have the players to play his style at the moment.

Wolves are not necessarily about to sell their better players, unless it suits them.
Their owners have a clear aim and roadmap to get there. They are determined to be competing in the champions league as soon as possible, and to remain there.
They have restructured or are in the process of restructuring the club from the playing side to the ground. They have also set up community schemes and are actively promoting the involvement of fans in their ambitions.
Make no mistake their owners have serious intent and vast resources they are committing to their public ambition. So far they are progressing very well.
I believe there is a good chance that in the very near future they will bypass clubs such as ourselves, apparently becalmed in mid table obscurity, and join the elite clubs at the top of the league as Man. City have done.
Which illustrates for why we can't spend years 'stabilising ' at mid table under a poor manager awaiting a new ground because any hope we have may well pass us by.

Wolves are not necessarily about to sell their better players, unless it suits them.
Their owners have a clear aim and roadmap to get there. They are determined to be competing in the champions league as soon as possible, and to remain there.
They have restructured or are in the process of restructuring the club from the playing side to the ground. They have also set up community schemes and are actively promoting the involvement of fans in their ambitions.
Make no mistake their owners have serious intent and vast resources they are committing to their public ambition. So far they are progressing very well.
I believe there is a good chance that in the very near future they will bypass clubs such as ourselves, apparently becalmed in mid table obscurity, and join the elite clubs at the top of the league as Man. City have done.
Which illustrates for why we can't spend years 'stabilising ' at mid table under a poor manager awaiting a new ground because any hope we have may well pass us by.

They haven't got a prayer in hell of doing so mate.

Mendes has hitched his wagon to them for now, it suits both purposes, but none of the players they have been fed would be considered by a top 4-6 side yet, and when they are they will move to them, purely because wolves aren't gonna be paying the wages those others can and they don't have and won't ever have the profile in terms of club, which translates to a massive amount of money for the modern player/agent in terms of commercial deals.

It is one thing entirely buyign your way out the championship etc another entirely buying your way into the CL in this country.

Mendes won't be sending his real top clients/players their, they are already entrenched at clubs such as Real, United, Bayern, PSG, City and the likes, which means they are gonna reach a tricky point soon, of having to deal with other agents for the plkayers who could push them on, whilst the club they are trying to bring the players in for owns part of Mendes agency, that isn't gonna be an easy thing to do.

I am fairly interested with how wolves go about what they are doing

Are they using them as a shop window for Jorge Mendes, give them a taste of english football prove they are capible to then sell players on? Like Porto/Benfica did for so many years, or are they actually going to make a big go of doing something and making sure the players stay put?

They have the backing to not have to sell, but it all depends what they are being used for, i heard they were close to getting Adrien Silva from Milan in January too

They are odds on to stay up next year and 9/4 for a top 10 finish. I’ve never seen odds like that for a team coming up before.

Man. City and Chelsea before them have done just that.
The wealth behind Wolves is every bit as impressive as those two.
It is fine to disregard their ability to achieve this just as we once laughed at the identical pretensions of Chelsea and City.
We ain't laughing now.

Mendes has hitched his wagon to them for now, it suits both purposes, but none of the players they have been fed would be considered by a top 4-6 side yet, and when they are they will move to them, purely because wolves aren't gonna be paying the wages those others can and they don't have and won't ever have the profile in terms of club, which translates to a massive amount of money for the modern player/agent in terms of commercial deals.

It is one thing entirely buyign your way out the championship etc another entirely buying your way into the CL in this country.

Mendes won't be sending his real top clients/players their, they are already entrenched at clubs such as Real, United, Bayern, PSG, City and the likes, which means they are gonna reach a tricky point soon, of having to deal with other agents for the plkayers who could push them on, whilst the club they are trying to bring the players in for owns part of Mendes agency, that isn't gonna be an easy thing to do.

Don't kid yourself mate - these guys have serious wealth and have a clear strategy on where they want to be. Barring some utter meltdown behind the scenes, Wolves are seriously on the up and will be knocking on Champions League doors in the not too distant future.

Thats basically it. We found this in our first summer that lobbing loads of money about doesn't automatically mean you sign Emery, Monchi, Witsel, Mata, Koulibaly, Van Dijk (etc). Most of the PL clubs have huge cash reserves and money alone won't do it. Liverpool have done well, because they've got a likeable coach who fits their approach and been patient. Santo has done well at Wolves but he is nowhere near a big enough name. Our problems in recruitment wouldn't have been solved simply with more money (I think it's doubtful Wolves have access to more cash than us when you consider whats lurking in the background) but with a clearer acceptance of where we fit in the scheme. I hope Wolves fans bleat on about being next to Manchester City, it's a similar mistake we made and will likely see them prioritising targets that are unattainable.

The Mendes link is quite clear. It's a useful output for him to have a team he can send young players who have fallen by the wayside to and probably maintain their wage packet. You look at lads like Neves, or the guy at Milan who's name alludes me and they are young players, who'd had a big pay increase and hadn't delivered and ran the risk of going down the Wright Phillips route where they were moved too quickly and ended up ruining their careers. A club like Wolves presents a nice buffer to this and of course they benefit from it. It's very unlikely that agents though, upset their clients at Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool to let us have a bigger piece of the pie, one of the most successful clubs in English football with 50 odd years of continual top flight performance. It simply won't happen for Wolves.

That being said though, they will still enjoy a massively successful period relative to where they have been the last 40 years. I imagine they will be solid in the Premier League for all the time they provide the use of being an outpost for lads who had struggled to make the big move. If they try to move too much from that, again they may find difficulties.

Whats interesting for us is the discussions re Brands & Fonseca, whether we end up getting them or not is their agents are Rioala + Mendes. You can certainly see Moshiri positioning the club to be very close to 2 of the most influential agents in football and if they come it will again likely have an impact. With the nicest platitudes to Walsh, not only was he not really a DOF but he had no such connections.

I suspect we will agents moving talent to us at a higher level, Brands successfully recruiting from the European, Dutch and South American market and Walsh likely focussing on bringing in younger domestic players for our the future. While people can't abide Walsh I think that system could work very well for us, and each person has a clearly defined role that they are able to do.

Man. City and Chelsea before them have done just that.
The wealth behind Wolves is every bit as impressive as those two.
It is fine to disregard their ability to achieve this just as we once laughed at the identical pretensions of Chelsea and City.
We ain't laughing now.
But that's the whole point. They did that. And SINCE then, UEFA has made damn sure that clubs CAN'T do that from then on with FFP. That wasn't to 'protect' clubs from spending too much, it was to protect the big clubs from the City's and buying success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back