Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
That type of short-termism is exactly why we’re in this position.
It's not though is it?
If Williams and Keane had transferred their form from their previous clubs we'd be flying. The fact is Williams has declined rapidly and Keane has struggled. Smalling is 3 years younger than Williams and vastly more experienced at a higher level.
Him, Keane, Mori and Holgate with a proper defensive coach is a decent base to start from
If tosun and Walcott had been in from the start, and ramirez had offered similar stats from his Malaga stint I'd be confident in suggesting wed have somewhere near, 40 goals between them and dcl
If klaasen had contributed to the same level we'd be challenging top 4 etc.
They buys where the right type of buys, just the wrong players

Why?
This type of thinking really does my head in. I'd love Maldini and Nesta I'm their prime but at the moment anything that improves on what we have is a step in the right direction.
He's better than what we have

Better than what we have? What a ringing endorsement. What we "have" is an ancient jagielka, a centre back who is afraid of the football in Keane, Ashley Williams who I'm convinced gets drunk before matches, Funes Mori who cannot pass a football and a talented but untested Holgate. Chris Smalling must be one hell of a footballer to be better than that lot.

Sigh.

Better than what we have? What a ringing endorsement. What we "have" is an ancient jagielka, a centre back who is afraid of the football in Keane, Ashley Williams who I'm convinced gets drunk before matches, Funes Mori who cannot pass a football and a talented but untested Holgate. Chris Smalling must be one hell of a footballer to be better than that lot.

Sigh.

But he is better? So in terms of logic that makes the team better? No?

Sigh.

So what would you gave us do instead?
By your logic we should sign further crap as going after better than what we gave is a waste of time?

So what would you gave us do instead?
By your logic we should sign further crap as going after better than what we gave is a waste of time?

No, we need to dramatically improve. Buying someone like Smalling, who is presumably on enormous wages and is only a slight improvement on what we have, is pointless in my opinion. The clubs intentions with Keane were sound but he has a been a massive disappointment but a younger player of that mould is the route the club should be looking to go down. Smalling isn't good enough if we want to try and crack the top 6 I don't think.

No, we need to dramatically improve. Buying someone like Smalling, who is presumably on enormous wages and is only a slight improvement on what we have, is pointless in my opinion. The clubs intentions with Keane were sound but he has a been a massive disappointment but a younger player of that mould is the route the club should be looking to go down. Smalling isn't good enough if we want to try and crack the top 6 I don't think.
But we can't just dramatically improve.
Were likely to finish 8th/9th at best, so no European football to offer, Who outside our own fans would deem that a go to destination for any top players?
Also we tried that with witsel, mata etc and got laughed at.
If smallings on 80k then that's par with Williams, even if we boosted that to 100k, if we get shot of Williams then that's an improvement for a minimal wage increase and realistically a decent fee in today's market.
We can't just go to top clubs and demand their best players, unfortunately we're still in the benjani, Barry, Bellamy etc stage of city's development.
Untill we get that first cup win, or consolidate our status as best of the rest/consistent top 4 players were only going to be able to attract gambles, and next tier down players or mercenaries

Would like to see us go for Rashford - i think someone like him would compliment Tosun well.

Gana Nzonzi

Siggurdsson

Walcott Tosun Rashford

Under an attacking manager who could have Rashford and Walcott interchange with Tosun I think that could be a very good front 3 with someone like Nzonzi coming in midfield to play box to box alongside Gana and Siggurdsson given reign to link up with Tosun.

we need a new leading cb, stefan savic?

seems to be a solid performer at Atletico, possibly underrated with them favoring Godin and Giminez

2 things.

1. we ain't getting Rashford in a million years.
2. how can fans turn their noses up at Chris Smalling when we have Williams, Jags and the clown Argentinian?

we definitely need to buy quality in this position, a leader through example. smalling lacks confidence, hes only 28 yet his best days are behind him. on his day can be world class but most of the time he is mediocre.

2 things.

1. we ain't getting Rashford in a million years.
2. how can fans turn their noses up at Chris Smalling when we have Williams, Jags and the clown Argentinian?

We turn our noses up at Smalling not because we think we already have better - we don’t - but because there are better out there than Smalling. Improving on what we have isn’t difficult.

I would get what we can for Keane and Williams and go for Ake at Bournemouth, they paid £20 million for him so think we could get him myself using Keane and Williams (and Jags) wages to offer him a great deal. Problem could be I think Chelsea have a buy back clause.

But we can't just dramatically improve.
Were likely to finish 8th/9th at best, so no European football to offer, Who outside our own fans would deem that a go to destination for any top players?
Also we tried that with witsel, mata etc and got laughed at.
If smallings on 80k then that's par with Williams, even if we boosted that to 100k, if we get shot of Williams then that's an improvement for a minimal wage increase and realistically a decent fee in today's market.
We can't just go to top clubs and demand their best players, unfortunately we're still in the benjani, Barry, Bellamy etc stage of city's development.
Untill we get that first cup win, or consolidate our status as best of the rest/consistent top 4 players were only going to be able to attract gambles, and next tier down players or mercenaries

Liverpool had just finished 8th, won 1 trophy in 10 years and had CL football once in 5/6 years signed Firmino, Suarez, Mane etc , tottenham in a similar situation signed Eriksson, Vertonghen, Alderweirald

I think the guy is saying, we should be aiming for younger players with a high ceiling, a little bit like when we had Stones, Deulofeu, Barkley & Lukaku, no matter how it turned out eventually, that was the right route to go, promise them a move if we dont achieve there ambitions, but make sure they know they are here for a couple of years while we try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back