Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silva just prior to signing Richarlison dropped in he needed 5 or 6 players ideally, - the latter being dependent on shifting players on etc, so young lad us one if them, meaning five other positions/players you'd assume have been discussed, contact made at least to suss out interest etc.

Cb in Mina, lb from Barca seem likely two others

Still leave 2-3 positions and players, one a cm, another cb or cm and another forward player you'd have to assume.

Ok, but as of the moment, we still have Lookman and don’t have CBs or a LB that can execute the fundamentals of our manager’s tactics. Think that has to be the immediate focus.

Which it looks like it is at the mo with the two Barca lads being well progressed appsrently.

After those things become way less clear though.

Zakaria, a striker/attacking winger, digne and Mina and a versatile cb/cdm - dendoncker? And we would immediately have some footballers

2esgrs.webp

Silva just prior to signing Richarlison dropped in he needed 5 or 6 players ideally, - the latter being dependent on shifting players on etc, so young lad us one if them, meaning five other positions/players you'd assume have been discussed, contact made at least to suss out interest etc.

Still leave 2-3 positions and players, one a cm, another cb or cm and another forward player you'd have to assume.
Think that’s about right. It’s not impossible. But we cannot have the window like we did last year where we had MASSIVE gaps at CF and LB after the window. Everyone knew we were hosed.

LB, CB, and CM are those positions now. There cannot be a scenario where we go with what we have as none of it is good enough.

Yep.

The question is, what would that cost us? If Mina and Digne cost us 55M, Ricarlison 40M, a guy like Zaharia is surely 30M at least (Doucoure would be more), Hinteregger or a cheaper CB that can play a ball would be cheaper, but that’s still 130-140M in a single window.

That’s doable with outgoings, so far we’ve got Mori and Klaassen for likely 20-25M combined. One of Bolasie / Sandro should go (10-15M), Williams / Mirallas / Pennington won’t fetch us more than 5-10M, but that’s about a net spend of 100M.
Take advantage of the loan market.

So would Keane, Jags, Williams, Holgate to any opposing set of attackers.

Look. It would be absurd to sign Lozano when we are barely championship level at CB, LB, and CM. But when you’ve got Walcott, Lookman, Sandro, Bolasie, Sigurdsson also capable of playing wide, as well as you just paid 35-40M for a guy that can play these positions as well, we should be selling players from that group, not getting more.

That's assuming it's not possible to sign any player now who isn't a defender, as the manager dropped the fact he wants five more still, I seriously doubt we aren't after I e attacker in that five.

Of the give you mentioned we have that can only wide, Walcott has s very poor injury record, Sandro is absolutely shocking, Bolasie equally attrocious, Lookman want off, and Sigurdsson doesn't have the pace to play wide in Silva's system.

On paper looks like we have loads of depth, in reality the depth wide is as bad as the depth at cb

So would Keane, Jags, Williams, Holgate to any opposing set of attackers.

Look. It would be absurd to sign Lozano when we are barely championship level at CB, LB, and CM. But when you’ve got Walcott, Lookman, Sandro, Bolasie, Sigurdsson also capable of playing wide, as well as you just paid 35-40M for a guy that can play these positions as well, we should be selling players from that group, not getting more.
Definitely, we are in trouble, given style of football Silva wants to play unless we get two centre halves & a left back. We really need to sort out the defence first and foremost.

Every single area of the team needs strengthening, at a real push;

Keeper: Pickford + 2 more
Defence: Coleman Kenny Holgate Robinson + 4 more
Midfield: Gana Baningime Davies Sigurdsson Dowell + 1 or 2 more
Attack: Lookman Richarlison Walcott Tosun Niasse DCL + 1 more

It's not like we should only focus on defence when we need to strengthen everywhere.

I'd hope we have bids In today for Digne, Mina, Zakaria and Lozano.

Meanwhile, aiming to shift out everyone else.

Remind me what they won

16 players I've listed above.

We could get away with;

1 keeper
3 Defenders
1 Midfielder
1 Forward

Silva said 4 or 5 maybe 6 so after Richarlison were talking about around 4 players to cover 6 required positions.

This squad was good enough to finish 8th in the league last season under relegation fight Sam and yet people comment like we could well go down with the same squad?

We do need a complete rebuild but over time now rather than all at once. So if that means some unpopular players are in and around the team this season then so be it. So if we sign only 4 this window , one in Jan and 4 next summer then that's how it's going to be.

Signing loads of players was part of the issue last year. Unlike spurs though we didn't sign anyone to build a team around in the process and that was walsh s fatal flaw.

I still want to see young players brought in over established experienced ones and I don't want us shopping in the premier league either. Start from the beginning and improve the squad not the team. Otherwise it's a complete waste of time.

That's assuming it's not possible to sign any player now who isn't a defender, as the manager dropped the fact he wants five more still, I seriously doubt we aren't after I e attacker in that five.

Of the give you mentioned we have that can only wide, Walcott has s very poor injury record, Sandro is absolutely shocking, Bolasie equally attrocious, Lookman want off, and Sigurdsson doesn't have the pace to play wide in Silva's system.

On paper looks like we have loads of depth, in reality the depth wide is as bad as the depth at cb

If Lookman stayed, then out wide I'd only want him, Richarlison and Walcott starting.

Walcott gets injured and were under pressure...need to bring in 1 more player who can play all across the front and then rotate them.

Sandro has looked great so far and we have no idea how Bolasie looks as it all hinges on how his knee is. Regardless. What are you going to do with all these players that supposedly stink?

If Lookman stayed, then out wide I'd only want him, Richarlison and Walcott starting.

Walcott gets injured and were under pressure...need to bring in 1 more player who can play all across the front and then rotate them.
Sorry to break it to you, but Siggy is starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back