Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
aah ok, those couple of months at tail-end of 16/17 season. Rom made half our team look good, it's amazing what a world-class striker can bring to the table.

Personally I can't hack us signing another Utd cast-off...it really grinds my gears. It reeks of mediocrity.
I do think the club are trying to get players over the line who aren't the mediocre types that keep us safely in 7th but at the same time we just aren't an attractive club at present. We just had 3 different managers last season and big Sam was one of them, the team is a mess and will take 2 more windows to clear out and fix, seemingly there was all sorts of crap going on behind the scenes, if the rumours are true, and we don't even have European footie to offer for all our spending. I'm sure all of the above will be sorted with the new setup but as it stands, having money isn't really that beneficial to us with where we are as a club and also due to the financial rules and restrictions in place. Would you rather go into the season with what we have or sign Smalling if we can't get our other CB targets? I know what I'd rather as our current CBs Williams and Jags aren't up to it physically, Keane seems to be rock bottom with confidence and Holgate is largely untested. I'd rather we had kept Funes Mori until we had at least once CB better than him over the line.

There was a graphic posted of how much teams have spent this window and I'm pretty sure Newcastle were -17m (or thereabouts).
Reminded me of how we've been for the last 20 years.

He'd be a very welcome addition but I'm not sure about 50m.

I think it would need to be about that for them to sell. Given the market and what I consider our desperation... I think go for it.

Digne has played there before and is capable, he's also more defensively capable than Tierney. However I think it would only work in a back 3 of Mina, Digne and Holgate/ Keane for example. I would worry playing him in a back 2. Does Silva often play 3 at the back? If this does happen I wouldn't be surprised to see Baines move on, maybe to America.
Not a hope is Digne better at any aspect of the game than Tierney, he's tidy enough but Tierney is vastly superior

I keep saying, Upamecano is the centre back we need. We need quick athletic centre backs who can also pass the ball.

He would be excellent.

1532875879337.webp

I realise I sound like a patronising twunt when I say this but.....you cannot judge how good defenders are without looking at the system they play in.

Lascelles plays in a low block defense (essentially they play very deep and crowd out space, looking to allow the opposition lots of shots but from bad positions in crowded areas). Keane also played VERY WELL in a system like this.

If we go for a high defensive line, like all the teams who go out playing to win play, then the type of centre back you need is very different. Suddenly pace and the ability to pass are far more important.

If Lascelles and Keane played together for a low block team they'd be great. For us, playing a high line, it could be a disaster.

A lot of information to consume today.

Digne & Tierney possibly both joinging in a 5- man defence? Seems strange and overly complicated way to resolve two positions. What seems more strange is going and bringing 2 squad players from Man Utd who have shown they are just as useless as what we have. Mina ain’t happening - I’m convinced. Man Utd are messing him around and he is messing us around.

Midfield is the big one, Drinkwater on loan presents oppurtunities to prove himself. He’s a good player, would help having a player who gets his foot on the ball and pass forward. However, i’m still hoping we can bring in an absolute beast completely under the radar.

Big week. Good luck Marcel. x

A lot of information to consume today.

Digne & Tierney possibly both joinging in a 5- man defence? Seems strange and overly complicated way to resolve two positions. What seems more strange is going and bringing 2 squad players from Man Utd who have shown they are just as useless as what we have. Mina ain’t happening - I’m convinced. Man Utd are messing him around and he is messing us around.

Midfield is the big one, Drinkwater on loan presents oppurtunities to prove himself. He’s a good player, would help having a player who gets his foot on the ball and pass forward. However, i’m still hoping we can bring in an absolute beast completely under the radar.

Big week. Good luck Marcel. x
Definitely not getting Tierney in, pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back