Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's what the manager is asking him to do.

He didn't do it under Sam because Sam didn't want him to.

I'm not saying Baines is blameless. He's part of an awful defence currently, but the point of having a holding midfielder is that a full-back can get forward and the cover is there.

The manager is wanting to play a system with inside forwards and the full-backs need to provide the width in that system. So we need our holding midfielder to be able to sit back and cover the entire width of the pitch - which is why Gana has to play in that role, because currently he is the only player we have capable of doing that.

To facilitate that, we need a powerful player who is also good on the ball to be the box-to-box/link player between midfield and attack in the centre.
Ideally, you would want your CDs to split to cover the full backs if they both went forward, and the holding midfielder drop in to cover the space. If only one FB ventured north the holding midfielder would cover and the 2 CDs need to cover the space he has left.

Either way, it all needs to be very streamlined and the 2 CDs and DF need to work as a team and be alert to the situation. None of ours appears capable of this as we saw yesterday.

We should be looking at Bertrand be a good signing. Baines for all his service should only be a rotational squad player now same with jags.

This annoys me to no end. Of course it's not ours, we're not trying to put out a competitive premier league team year in year out. Everton is, and the club's money is not endless.

aye, it is indeed our money: the increased ticket prices, costly merchandise and tv costs pay for all this...hence why the Bundesliga can't compete with the other big leagues financially but at least costs the fan less money to follow*

*that is, if you pay to follow in the first place...it's all relative, the season-ticket holder who also loves the away games and always has the latest shirt will put in a few grand a year, whereas I for example put in next to nothing. We all can criticise transfers, but technically-speaking if we waste money on a player it's the season-ticket holder who can fairly demolish the but it's not our money! argument.

ANY aspect? A rather sweeping statement. Have you compared stats on football manager to come to this conclusion or have you spent your life studying these exact 2 players and getting to know them personally? Ridiculous.
Ha ha football manager I couldn't even tell you what it looks like! I've watched alot of both players but anyone with even a smidgen of football knowledge could draw the same conclusion quite quickly. Guess that rules you out sweetheart

I realise I sound like a patronising twunt when I say this but.....you cannot judge how good defenders are without looking at the system they play in.

Lascelles plays in a low block defense (essentially they play very deep and crowd out space, looking to allow the opposition lots of shots but from bad positions in crowded areas). Keane also played VERY WELL in a system like this.

If we go for a high defensive line, like all the teams who go out playing to win play, then the type of centre back you need is very different. Suddenly pace and the ability to pass are far more important.

If Lascelles and Keane played together for a low block team they'd be great. For us, playing a high line, it could be a disaster.
absolutely SPOT ON.
Hence making the decision to bring Keane in so much more baffling.

Good points but I saw him a fair bit at Forest (partners family all Forest fans) and at Newcastle when they were very much with a higher defensive line when they absolutely pissed the Championship.

I think the lads a top player and one of few I can think of who is "proven" for a few seasons and who I think would actually be willing to sign.

aye, it is indeed our money: the increased ticket prices, costly merchandise and tv costs pay for all this...hence why the Bundesliga can't compete with the other big leagues financially but at least costs the fan less money to follow*

*that is, if you pay to follow in the first place...it's all relative, the season-ticket holder who also loves the away games and always has the latest shirt will put in a few grand a year, whereas I for example put in next to nothing. We all can criticise transfers, but technically-speaking if we waste money on a player it's the season-ticket holder who can fairly demolish the but it's not our money! argument.
I was under the impression that the majority of our income is due to tv rights and that gate receipts and merchandise are but a fraction of what we take in each year. However that is a regurgitation of what I've read on here so I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Now if you're suggesting that the tv money paid to the league is in a round about way "the fans" through subscriptions and such I'd argue that is a very convoluted way of describing what's going on but not 1000% wrong.

Tierney excites me more but Digne played a massive part in a Roma squad that finished 2nd, he made a good number of appearances for PSG before that and at Barce he couldn't push Alba out at LB which isn't exactly anything to be ashamed of. Tierney has been a stand out performer in a league akin to lower championship or league 1 which is why Celtic boss that league season after season. Celtic probably have a squad of upper championship quality but the rest of the league is muck. So I don't think it'd be fair to say Tierney is better than Digne. All I'm saying is if we had both, Tierney would be wasted at CB and maybe Digne could do a job there in a back 3.
I take your point but people get far too hung up on how poor the SPL is. A good player is a good player.

A lot of information to consume today.

Digne & Tierney possibly both joinging in a 5- man defence? Seems strange and overly complicated way to resolve two positions. What seems more strange is going and bringing 2 squad players from Man Utd who have shown they are just as useless as what we have. Mina ain’t happening - I’m convinced. Man Utd are messing him around and he is messing us around.

Midfield is the big one, Drinkwater on loan presents oppurtunities to prove himself. He’s a good player, would help having a player who gets his foot on the ball and pass forward. However, i’m still hoping we can bring in an absolute beast completely under the radar.

Big week. Good luck Marcel. x
Drinkwater is pants. He’s not a great passer and doesn’t get goals, he’s just another run around midfielder with no end product.
I remember a couple of games England pre 2016 euros he was shocking, kept giving the ball away.

Bakayoko has had a poor season for Chelsea and drinkwater still couldn’t get games. When they talk about bad signings why is this guy never mentioned, £35mil is outrageous

My boy on twitter is pushing the Kurt Zouma drum, a good drum to beat IMO, I would take Zouma for sure, looked a player at times and a bit mouse on rollerskates at other times.

Drinkwater is pants. He’s not a great passer and doesn’t get goals, he’s just another run around midfielder with no end product.
I remember a couple of games England pre 2016 euros he was shocking, kept giving the ball away.

Bakayoko has had a poor season for Chelsea and drinkwater still couldn’t get games. When they talk about bad signings why is this guy never mentioned, £35mil is outrageous

I agree. Didn’t Leicester pretty much by pass their midfield when they won the league? They seemed to sit very deep, have Kante run around winning everything and use the pace of vardy and mahrez on the counter.

I was under the impression that the majority of our income is due to tv rights and that gate receipts and merchandise are but a fraction of what we take in each year. However that is a regurgitation of what I've read on here so I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Now if you're suggesting that the tv money paid to the league is in a round about way "the fans" through subscriptions and such I'd argue that is a very convoluted way of describing what's going on but not 1000% wrong.

Where does Sky & co get all this money from? From the fan. How much is it now for the full package if you want to watch all games legally? I bet it's a lot more than it was say 10-15 years ago. Football is a business which needs millions of regularly-paying customers who show willing to pay more every year, that includes paying for the ad-products (like gambling sites).

I agree it's a bit convoluted, but ultimately it is indeed the fan who pays.

I take your point but people get far too hung up on how poor the SPL is. A good player is a good player.

Nikica-Jelavic-Everton_3058226.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back