Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually read a few good things about Miazga.

It's hard to trust US players after the embarrassment of that world cup qualifying campaign though.

Miazga wasn't involved in qualifying, which is part of the problem. Once we (deservedly) fired Klinsmann, we hired a former coach from the early 2000's Bruce Arena, who doubled down on "his players", which led to us relying on aging veterans and players well past their prime.

There's a nice young crop of Americans coming through, Miazga being the brightest hope at CB, hopefully our next manager makes them the core of his plans.

We finished 8th with 49 points though mate. I think people might accept a similar performance if they can see improvements are being made for the medium term. They are hard to judge though, what constitutes an improvement. Martinez fell down because you could see we were going backwards.
Yes that’s kind of what I’m saying though? I would (reluctantly) accept finishing 8th again, but not lower because I don’t see how we could claim that was progress even if the football was easier on the eye.

If we were saying we would put our trust in Kenny, Robinson, Connolly, holgate, baningime, vlasic, dowell, lookman etc then a slight drop would be acceptable when balanced against the potential long term benefits of such a policy. There’s no sign of that happening though, and I don’t believe you can go out and spend £100m, go backwards in the league, and say it’s positive on any level.

We’ve had ‘jam tomorrow’ for years, and we need to stop the cycle in my opinion. Finish 10th this season, then the likes of Coleman, gueye and Walcott have gone that little bit past their best, Pickford wants out because we’re not going anywhere and suddenly we need another ‘transitional season’ while we sort those issues out. I’ve seen it before and people were saying the same things then about how it would all come good. I’m still waiting.

I’ve all but given up hope of us ever being REALLY good, so for me the absolute minimum I will accept is consistently being pretty good - best of the rest, getting into Europe, showing tangible signs of getting closer to the elite rather than just giving a vague impression of promise further down the line.

There's definitely a lot of clubs struggling with the new deadline which, considering they all voted for it in the first place (or the majority did) just sums up how badly most clubs are run (not just us).

I think the World Cup has had an impact but tbh, the window could be open for 6 months and most clubs would still do most of their business in the final week. All about brinkmanship.

Miazga wasn't involved in qualifying, which is part of the problem. Once we (deservedly) fired Klinsmann, we hired a former coach from the early 2000's Bruce Arena, who doubled down on "his players", which led to us relying on aging veterans and players well past their prime.

There's a nice young crop of Americans coming through, Miazga being the brightest hope at CB, hopefully our next manager makes them the core of his plans.

There's a lot of hype around a few of them. That McKennie (I think his name was) was one of them.

Can't decide whether that Pulisic is any good though. Looked good in the friendly vs Liverpool recently like.

The time it’s taking to wrap up transfers is worrying seeing as we’ve got loads to do before next Thursday

The left-back we're trying to sign has flown back from America to Spain on Saturday night, had a day in Barcelona while the clubs finalised terms, and headed to Liverpool today. He'll be in the Titanic tonight probably.

We should have it done by this time tomorrow I'd say, Wednesday morning at the latest.

The left-back we're trying to sign has flown back from America to Spain on Saturday night, had a day in Barcelona while the clubs finalised terms, and headed to Liverpool today. He'll be in the Titanic tonight probably.

We should have it done by this time tomorrow I'd say, Wednesday morning at the latest.

As long as the lad can get some minutes on Saturday, then there is no panic.

There is the need for major urgency on other fronts though.

As long as the lad can get some minutes on Saturday, then there is no panic.

There is the need for major urgency on other fronts though.

Yeh, ideally we shouldn't have a deal for a CB or a CM running into deadline day, although I think there's a chance both could.

There's a lot of hype around a few of them. That McKennie (I think his name was) was one of them.

Can't decide whether that Pulisic is any good though. Looked good in the friendly vs Liverpool recently like.
He really is as good as advertised. He was dragging the team to Russia at 18 years old and no one else was anywhere close to his level. Don't want him near Liverpool (unless he was wearing blue, of course).

McKennie is at Schalke and has a potentially bright future at CM.

Pulisic is boss. Best American player ever, at 19. I know that's not saying a lot, but still.

He would walk into this team tomorrow. I'd love to see us go after him, but he'd cost more than Richarlison in this market, and appears destined for a Sky Six club. Which hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back