Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we a team that want to dominate possession though?

I don't think we are.

Silva's style has never been exclusively possession-based - at least not in the sense that Martinez etc want.

Yes, he likes to have control in games, but his teams have mainly created chances by either pressing high and regaining possession upfield, or moving the ball sharply through the midfield into the final third.

I agree Meyer is a decent player, but I'm not sure he's the type of player we need for that role as a priority.

Maybe not, I’m not 100% sure on his preferred style, it’s appeared different at all clubs I’ve seen him. Just as a freebie I wouldn’t be saying no if he was on offer.

It is pretty hard to run around and kick a ball to be fair. Not sure how any new signings will cope. Might forget how to play.
Well the modern footballer appears to lose a couple of yards of pace and put on a fair bit of weight during a couple of weeks holiday, so forgetting how to play wouldn't surprise me with some of them.

Alternatively maybe after this pre season they've decided they need two rather than one new CBS?

I have felt this was loosely thrown about before. I remember saying Bensaibaini, Tierney and Mina could all come in (though accepted at the time it may have led to Baines going). Swap Baines with either Jagielka &/or Keane and the same dynamic exists.

Pre season will have crystallised that at the heart of the defence we are in trouble and might need more experience. I'm not happy with us paying big money for Rojo, but if he can be done close to 10 million it could be a smart buy. I don't anticipate seeing any of Keane, Williams or Jagielka here next season (Silva's 2nd).

Duncan Castles saying we enquired about Rojo earlier in the summer, before going for Mina (this will be coming from the Utd side, btw).

Also saying we haven't actually gone back in for him, yet. It's depending on Mina.

Also, I've seen that we had scouts at PAOK v Basel the other day in the CL qualifiers. Balanta (left-sided CB for Basel) perhaps?

Duncan Castles saying we enquired about Rojo earlier in the summer, before going for Mina (this will be coming from the Utd side, btw).

Also saying we haven't actually gone back in for him, yet. It's depending on Mina.

Also, I've seen that we had scouts at PAOK v Basel the other day in the CL qualifiers. Balanta (left-sided CB for Basel) perhaps?

A lot of this is a game of leaks. We would be unlikely to given a favourable or accurate story to a lad close to United.

I find it hard to believe that Rojo is a like for like replacement for Mina (though Brands suggested as much) they seem different. Seems more likely we are opting for 2 central defenders, possibly we talk of midfielders has dried up. There will no doubt be some pressure on Mina this way, firstly as United will lose a defender, and if they don't make him an offer he may jump, secondly because we may opt out.

I think United only see Mina as a 3rd or 4th choice. They don't need to take the risk we do. Unfortunately for us, Mina will understandably hold on for that. It's probably prudent to get a deal over the line and then revisit Mina and treat him as a bonus. My feeling is Leicester may be a bigger threat than United, with 65 million quid they could easily make the offer for him suddenly become a risk thats not worthwhile (if they really want him).

United seem very keen to move Rojo on. Silva knows the players and presumably thinks he's ok. It doesn't seem like the sort of interest that we go and spend 30 million on though. Maybe United are trying to pressure Wolves into making a higher bid? For us if we can get him for under 15 I think it's a pretty decent deal. He will suit Silva's system. Anything above that though and we should be concerned.

As has been mentioned, lots are being scouted, and don't be surprised to see another name leap from left field as Rojo has.

Hull must be gutted, sold harry Maguire for 12 mil to Leicester and Robertson to Liverpool for 8 mil and now both players are probably worth in excess of £100 mil cumulatively a year later

just shows that you can grab a bargain if you look in the right places

maybe Ben Gibson wouldn't be a bad shout
No. Robertson and Maguire were good shouts.

Well Robertson was anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back