Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but (as I've stressed throughout) I'd only see using Rondon as a measure to change a game in our direction when we're chasing the point/points. Going two up in those circumstances is permissible. It's not a formation I'd adopt from the start.

Not sure why this is so controversial. If some team pressure us - and they will, hell we know Klopp and Pep will as will others - as much as I don't want hoofball, it is nice to have a forward who can hold the ball up. Tosun actually isn't bad at coming back and moving the ball, but he doesn't seem to do it at the right times or doesn't quite have the positional sense yet to do it.

It would just be decent to have that type of option. I think that's ALL Davek is trying to say.

And as I keep saying Dave, it was ALL our largest shareholders money, good luck getting the police to investigate somebody wasting their own money.

Steve Walsh on the other hand, I would gladly stand in the witness box and give evidence, that fella committed fraud on a scale unlike the world has ever seen.

*legal disclaimer*
allegedly

Palpably untrue.

Not sure why this is so controversial. If some team pressure us - and they will, hell we know Klopp and Pep will as will others - as much as I don't want hoofball, it is nice to have a forward who can hold the ball up. Tosun actually isn't bad at coming back and moving the ball, but he doesn't seem to do it at the right times or doesn't quite have the positional sense yet to do it.

It would just be decent to have that type of option. I think that's ALL Davek is trying to say.
For the most part, I think Daveks just trying to say what Davek usually tries to say: something asburd.

Hold up play is great, but at some point you have to get results, and Ill take the guy on our roster whos proven he can score at 3 times the rate of the other guy for the same price. Besides, tactically, if you are up in the game what Silva most likely actually wants is a fast forward to come in late, not a strong one, as the other team will push more players forward giving more space to break and get in behind.

Secretly Davek is just hoping we can do it so he can be able to complain about us not being able to score enough goals.

We ARE financially stable. The Financial Statements are public, anyone can read them.

Beyond that, who did they buy that we can't move on?

Sigurdsson - 45M (stuck with him, but he's a good player)
Pickford - 26M, worth much more
Keane - 26M, could sell for half at least
Klaassen - 25M, sold for 13M
Walcott - 20M (stuck with him, he's good)
Tosun - 20M, worth more
Vlasic - 9M, not sure
Onyekuru - 7M, worth much more
Sandro - 6M, could sell even with wages
Rooney - moved his whole salary already

Year prior
Bolasie - 26M, could sell for half
Morgan - 20M, could sell for close to that
Williams - 12M - could move, wouldn't get anything
Lookman - 8M, could sell for much more
Gueye - 8M, could sell for much more
DCL - 2M, could sell for much more

Were there some bad buys? Sure, but Pickford, Onyekuru, Lookman, DCL, Gueye could all be sold for MUCH more than we paid for them. I just don't see the dire situation you do.

We will get Williams off the books, two of Bolasie/Sandro/Mirallas, probably move Pennington's salary, etc
You're making some big assumptions there on resale value. Even if the ones you see shifted out at 'no loss' or a minor profit: future inflation will wipe that out.

I'm not really sure that Rondon is the answer, but I do think that good hold-up play is possibly the most important attribute for a striker to have at the moment. With virtually every vogue formation featuring at least three 'midfielders' that don't work back when the team loses possession, it's vital that the ball sticks up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back