Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
£40m over 5 years is the same price as our supposed fee for Richarlison before any wages. Outrageous amount of money but no transfer fee means the net cost isn’t too bad. Especially given that he’ll probably carry a substantial sell on fee.

They do have to pay £450k to Schalke as compensation (obviously, not a lot, relatively). He'll also get a nice fat sell on.

I understand fully that free agents will ultimately get more in wages compared to a 'standard' signing.

But 170k p/wk. That's 20k more than what Rooney was on last year. 50k more than our current highest earner (Gylfi).

Heck of a lot of money.

They do have to pay £450k to Schalke as compensation (obviously, not a lot, relatively). He'll also get a nice fat sell on.

Definitely.

I think it’s relatively low risk for the modern game with potentially their biggest risk being the rest of the egomaniacs all demanding similar wages

Well they are part owned by some very wealthy people, so whilst its a risk, its not dangerous, unless they go down of course, which to be honest you could say theres around 12 clubs in the league who could go down this season.

Think they are owned by a parent company, have no idea who is involved in that. They look shaky to me to be honest, that wage to turnover is basket case and as we know these days there is a limit to any outside investment, doesn’t seem to have been any, really they are a Frank De Boer decision away from unraveling like I say they are shaky, I also think they spend beyond their means. They pretty much have fought relegation every season in their Div 1/PL history, in fact I think this third season is their best ever run in the top flight.

Teams like Palace are in a different economic cycle to established PL clubs. They go from a very low cost base in the Epl to huge money overnight, genrally the head room is huge and see investment expedentially as they try to compete to stay on the gravy train by investing hugely quickly, Benteke, Cabaye, Zaha, Townsend, PVA, Meyler etc. Problem is if it doesn’t work you are left with a massive cost base. Palace try to play this high risk game. Other clubs do it differently like Bourmouth and Burnley and risk mitigate. You would never see a deal like this at those clubs.

Essentially Palace are very shaky, despite what evidently looks a high profile signing.

Last edited:

Think they are owned by a parent company, have no idea who is involved in that. They look shaky to me to be honest, that wage to turnover is basket case and as we know these days their is a limit to any outside investment, doesn’t seem to have been any, really they are a Frank De Boer decision away from unraveling like I say they are shaky, I also think they spend beyond their means. They pretty much have fought relegation every season in their Div 1/PL history, in fact I think this third season is their best ever run in the top flight.

Teams like Palace are in a different economic cycle to established PL clubs. They go from a very low cost base in the Epl to huge money overnight, genrally the head room is huge and see investment expedentially as they try to compete to stay on the gravy train. Problem is if it doesn’t work you are left with a massive cost base. Palace try to play this high risk game. Other clubs do it differently like Bourmouth and Burnley and risk mitigate. You would never see a deal like this at those clubs.

Essentially Palace are very shaky, despite what evidently looks a high profile signing.

Its brave for sure.

Guess we find out in a few years whether it was worth it. This league is rammed full of utterly minted clubs and owners these days tho.

Its brave for sure.

Guess we find out in a few years whether it was worth it. This league is rammed full of utterly minted clubs and owners these days tho.
Clubs aren’t really minted it’s depends on income and outgoing and balance between the two, everything else is just numbers. Equally owners there are limits on outside investment these days. It’s about how you run your business.

There are differences though, outside of Everton, Spurs, Utd, Norway, City and Chelsea, almost every other club is on a spectrum of boom and bust. Look at the rest of the league, I bet when you do, you will remember them clubs in the lower leagues. The six clubs I mention can long term range knowing they will likely always be in the PL barring a catastrophie.

Every other club apart of the ones I’ve mentored has a life cycle in the PL, they might have a good manager or good set up, but ultimately they are all a couple of bad moves away from unraveling. Stoke and WBA a case in point this year, every other club bar above are living on a fuse. We don’t really get that being one of the six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back