Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way to sign players when you have no other competitive leverage.

Until we offer Champions League football this is how it is.

Be VERY thankful we have the money to at least try.

I honestly think some people should just walk away from Everton & forums.

"Everton have fought off competition from Chelsea, Spurs, Atletico Madrid and West Ham to secure the signing of Brazilian Winger Bernard "

Translation: Everton cave in first to exorbitant wages and agents fees, as we also look to be doing with Mina

"Everton have fought off competition from Chelsea, Spurs, Atletico Madrid and West Ham to secure the signing of Brazilian Winger Bernard "

Translation: Everton cave in first to exorbitant wages and agents fees, as we also look to be doing with Mina
Mate have a day off.

This is what it takes to get genuine quality through the door at Everton. We're in absolutely no position to dictate our terms to these players - we either put up or shut up.

2 central defenders (1 on loan)
Bernard (hopefully sorted)
Centre mid

We’re close to having a really strong side.
We desperately need at least one centre half but aside from that I’d rather we wait for the right players to be available (Jan or next summer) than buy the wrong ones.

Any premier league season pre Moyes (one under Royle aside). 2002/3, 2003/4, 05/06, 15/16.
So last season they were 26 points ahead of us and their goal difference was 60 better than ours in the league.
2015/16 - 13 points & 9 gd
2005/06 - 32 points & 47 gd
2003/04 - 21 points & 30 gd
2002/03 - 5 points & 21 gd
2001/02 - 37 points & 49 gd
2000/01 - 27 points & 46 gd
1999/00 - 17 points & 11 gd
1998/99 - 11 points & 24 gd

So based on the last 20 years of the examples you gave you could only really argue the gap was bigger in 2005/6 and 2001/02. But this does ignore their run to the champions league final last season which I would argue is worth a few bonus points considering it was clearly their priority towards the end of the season. It also ignores how dull our football was last season in comparison to theirs.

But anyway, hopefully we’ll be closing that gap with a couple more big signings in the next few days.

What's that suppose to mean mate?
Am I not allowed to point out that we don't even appear to have a wage structure? and that we will happily pay whatever any player/agent wants to get them to come here?
It causes massively over inflated fees/wages to become even more over inflated and it means other players in the squad get angry when players no better than themselves are paid orders of magnitude more.

2 central defenders (1 on loan)
Bernard (hopefully sorted)
Centre mid

We’re close to having a really strong side.
We desperately need at least one centre half but aside from that I’d rather we wait for the right players to be available (Jan or next summer) than buy the wrong ones.

Needs must mate

The only way to sign players when you have no other competitive leverage.

Until we offer Champions League football this is how it is.

Be VERY thankful we have the money to at least try.

I wouldn't mind but there's an argument we started it all in the 60s. We paid a British record for Alan Ball for example.
If we want to be the best then we have to pay those sums. The sad reality is that we aren't the draw we were precisely because of a pernicious small club mentality. There's plenty of them.... in the championship

Think its going to be a mad few days to be honest, is it 5pm Thursday the window closes? bit rubbish that, no chance of waking up at 4am in the morning now and finding out a random has signed, like Felli did.

Wonder if that Diego Reyes may be an option?
Him being a free agent might explain why we seem to be willing to go to the deadline for mina
He was mentioned briefly a couple of times ages ago and he does fit my own wild guess of a list of who we are looking at. I could see one CB being bought and a second either free agent or loan, so why not.

Baines/Jagielka/Ferguson/Jeffers.

...and there isn't a half clued-up Evertonian who wouldn't at least suspect that quartet at the heart of the dissenting environment created at the club.

Get them out, get them all out.
As usual Dave, you are all over this. Sometimes mate, you are so far ahead of the curve that you're completely round the bend.
Promise us you'll never change lol

Needs must mate

I think we’d be ok with Gueye, Schneiderlen and the young lads as back up
And
One new centre back, Holgate, Keane, Jags
for this season IF the players we definitely want aren’t available.

I guess what I’m saying is that I’d rather we buy players who will improve us a lot rather than just a little.

It means you can’t have the trappings of success without taking huge financial risks in this sport.

Questioning the business case is folly. It’s not our money to lose.

Rather than looking for the positives, you are seeking the negatives.

It’s an understandable reaction, the Club can sap the life out of you but in this case at least we are still trying to keep the super rich in sight & build.

The season starts in 4 days time, a bit of bullishness eh?

What's that suppose to mean mate?
Am I not allowed to point out that we don't even appear to have a wage structure? and that we will happily pay whatever any player/agent wants to get them to come here?
It causes massively over inflated fees/wages to become even more over inflated and it means other players in the squad get angry when players no better than themselves are paid orders of magnitude more.

As usual Dave, you are all over this. Sometimes mate, you are so far ahead of the curve that you're completely round the bend.
Promise us you'll never change lol

He’s absolutely kin mental.

Imagine even having the thought process to make up an imaginary cabal trying to cause unrest at the club.

He’s one step from howling at the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back