Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't disagree necessarily; conversation was whether the last 5 managers left the squad in "shambles"

Koeman and Walsh did some terrible work; Martinez didn't replace these playmaker types (but did add Barry and Lukaku), so although Martinez had serious faults in his transfers, you can't really blame him entirely. So how many managers are to blame for the "shambles?"

Martinez Koeman and Allardyce.

I dont understand that list.

72 points will be 5 seasons ago this year. My original post was " not many people would have fancied the rebuilding job that Silva has acccepted, after the shambles left by our 5 previous managers.

I include Martinez in that list because we went down hill after his 1st season, instead of kicking on or at least maintaining our position, he led us on a downward spiral, which eventually led to us begging Sam Allerdyce for christ sake to come and save us.

Current manager: Silva
Previous Managers: Allardyce, Koeman, Martinez, Moyes, Smith*

*If you count Unsworth's interim terms as "manager," well, that's silly, especially since he authored no transfers, but you can swap Rhino for Smith if you want

So Martinez took the Moyes squad, made a few additions, and reached 72 points. Martinez also made some poor additions, but given that he reached 72 points with (largely) the same squad Koeman inheirited, I'm giving him a pass.

So then it's Koeman, and if you're more pedantic than me, Allardyce. So it's actually not the previous 5 managers who left the squad in shambles, is it? It's actually Koeman and Walsh? Or am I missing something?

They need to sort central defense out but their squad, aside from the center backs, seems really good.

They’ve brought in a lot of players though. Hopefully some of the old guard are a bit hacked off and it takes a while for the new players to settle and we can profit from any disjointedness on a Saturday.

Neves is a good player but if Everton had gone out and bought Moutinho, Adama Traore and Patricio as a first choice goalie I’d be asking questions of Brands. They’ve got a decent squad but I think our business has been better so far.

They’ve brought in a lot of players though. Hopefully some of the old guard are a bit hacked off and it takes a while for the new players to settle and we can profit from any disjointedness on a Saturday.

Neves is a good player but if Everton had gone out and bought Moutinho, Adama Traore and Patricio as a first choice goalie I’d be asking questions of Brands. They’ve got a decent squad but I think our business has been better so far.

That part I agree on. Shape shifting basically your entire squad in one offseason seems risky

tbh ive lost count of confirmed ins and outs so far.

in... digne richarlison virginia
out... rooney robles klassen Williams mirallas funes mori

is that it so far ?

Couple of younger lads out on loan as well I think.

I never expected is to get fees for Klaassen and Bolasie if I’m honest. I thought we’d have to take loan deals for both. If we can manage you sell Bolasie for anything upwards of £10m then I’ll be very happy. Even more so if we can find a taker for Sandro either on loan or permanent and get his wages off the books.

Martinez Koeman and Allardyce.

Whatever. I don't really like a lot of his transfers, but there's not much difference between the squad he did 72 points with and the squad Koeman inherited. Biggest subtractions (by appearance) are Osman(41), Distin(37), Naismith(35), Stones(26), and Pienaar(25). We can go back and revise history all we want, but all I'm saying is that you don't need to spend £200M to replace these 5, and there isn't much between a team that succeeded and a team that Koeman left in shambles.

TL;DR, too much introspection about transfers and players, it's terrible management that's left the squad in shambles, and it's really down to 1 or 2 managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back