Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for me. Bang average, injury prone, would more than likely want a decent wedge and would not be willing to be benched when we get someone of a higher quality in.

There is that, he has a pretty respectable goals per min ratio, is 27 and i think he a decent lid who has a good team ethic so i dont think a benching would be an issue if overall he had more mins.

The way i see it is, if you have aspirations of challenging for the top 4 you need layers of goal scorers or at least carry a threat going forward. Im utterly bored of creating so many chances with no one on the end of them. All the CL clubs have it, in their primary striker and back ups, Mordor has Sturridge, Utd Rashford, Chelsea Giroud, Spurs Lorente etc.

We dont have a primary forward of sufficient quality at the moment never mind a back up, for the context of the deal i wouldn't be dissapointed getting him as a short term solution from Jan and long term back up or option. I would still go out and drop 80 million on a forward mind in the summer.

I would be interested in Danny Wellbeck at Arsenal in January.

Now let me explain this, we haven't had a striker since Lukaku left, we are currently sporting DCL, Niasse and Tosun. Be it lack of quality, development or an inability to transfer form to higher league. It seems unlikely that any of these can carry a goal scoring burden.

Wellbeck is out of contract in the summer, likely to move on has proven he can score goals in this league. He is the perfect stop gap and back up going forward.

Now what i would like us to do is drop 60-80million on a striker in the summer and see Welbeck as a back up option beyond that, but the deal that could be done is value and likely to improve us and add a different option in the short term.
Gana & McCarthy in midfield and welbeck upfront.

The club better dust down the old trophy cabinet sharpish.

Gana & McCarthy in midfield and welbeck upfront.

The club better dust down the old trophy cabinet sharpish.

This is the thing a team made up many components and qualities and blends generally do better then a team made up of collective names in my opinion see City Leicester. I rate Jimmy Mc very highly, its like people criticizing Gylfi for a year and tripping over themselves this week about his quality.

Its all opinion mind, sometimes the not obvious is the best one and you have to back your own judgement in analyzing the game and its dynamics..

So far today I've read shouts for Welbeck and that Gana is better than Fernandinho.

Logging off forever x

The Welbeck shout exists in a context, of availability, the value of the deal, what are immediate short term priorities, proven goal scoring and a limited market in January.

Its more a case of would he add something immediately as a priority, be value and would he be an improvement on our back up strikers, should we go for a high end one in a better market. There are a few yes's in there for me.

Its bit pointless in this thread sometimes lads going on about signing some unrealistic Messi from randomleagueshire and saying they would improve us. See Tosun Cenk.

The Welbeck shout exists in a context, of availability, the value of the deal, what are immediate short term priorities, proven goal scoring and a limited market in January.

Its more a case of would he add something immediately as a priority, be value and would he be an improvement on our back up strikers, should we go for a high end one in a better market. There are a few yes's in there for me.

Its bit pointless in this thread sometimes lads going on about signing some unrealistic Messi from randomleagueshire and saying they would improve us. See Tosun Cenk.

Yes but I'd personally rather just wait for the Summer if there isn't anything available in January. I think it's what they call wasted money.

We definitely need more quality in central midfield, ideally someone to play a little ahead of Gueye, but Gueye’s supposed complete lack of passing ability is being blown completely out of proportion. Ideally Andre Gomes slots in nicely to the xi but I think a quality box to box player would be handy as well as more quality depth.

Gana is crap in possession , good teams Cm are usually great at this, hence he’s never going to play in a top team
Thing is Tel, you can't win sometimes. There are very few DMs around better than Gana at tackling, interceptions and closing down. DMs that are better at passing and linking play, like an in form Schneids or Barry, or dare I say William Carvalho, don't do the dirty side very well. Then you get the ones that are equally good at both sides, like Kante, Busquets, Matic. There's not many of them about and they won't come to Everton.

Our problem at the moment, in my humble opinionlol, is not Gana, it's the players around him. We don't have a midfielder who can link the defence to the attack, somebody who is a decent passer of the ball and can also carry it when required. A BTB type if you like. Also, we don't have a central defender who can pass/bring the ball out of defence effectively. I thought Mason would be able to do that but his passing is nowhere near good enough at the moment, plus he showed his inexperience defensively against West Ham. Mina may prove to be that player fingers crossed. Gomes may also prove to be the playmaking central midfielder we need.

So, the situation we have, there are 3 ways we can try to rectify it.

1) We buy a top class defensive midfielder who can do everything. Good luck there.

2) We can buy a deep lying playmaking midfielder. But we will still need somebody with good legs alongside him, like Gana or McCarthy to do the defensive covering for him. We then have to forego that BTB type player.

3) If Mina and Gomes can bring what we need, we can just let Gana do what he is good at. Covering the back 4 and winning the ball back. He won't need to build up play from the back because we have other's that can do that and he won't need to be the link to the attack. He'll basically just be required to do what he's good at. Very good at in fact.

If Mina and/or Gomes don't work out then bring somebody else in to replace them. But personally, I have a good feeling about both of them.

Has someone really said that??

He certainly would be a player that Spurs would rather have than their current midfield mess and personally I'd have him over Fernandinho although Pep wouldn't as he doesn't quite have the technique for City. I'd also take him over Xhaka and whichever midfielder United decide to play with Matic and Pogba. That leaves Chelsea which he would get nowhere near and the RS which is probably a matter of system on whether you'd want him or Henderson. But if you are one of the people who doesn't rate Gana because he doesn't hit 70 yard cross field balls then I guess you wouldn't see him as close to any of these players.

That’s because Morgan snchniederfraud is playing mate. Ganas passing is shocking, and I don’t give a crap if he can pass the ball back to the gk and cb 90% of the time without making a mistake. Offensively it’s like playing with a man short, is actually go as far as saying , rather than just not contributing in attack, he actually stops moves as he’s terrified to pass forward and moves break down and opponents can get in position. He should be our Cm and he can break up play and all that but he’s not our best player. Maybe he makes the biggest difference to the team, because when he doesn’t play our CM is Davies and Morgan, but them being crap doesn’t mean gana is our best player. Gana doesn’t look “to good for us” digne, Bernard and richy all stand out and look like they could play a team in the top 6 . They are our best players atm

First of all, his passing isn’t shocking, it’s actually quite good. It’s just a complete myth. Does he have AMAZING passing range? No, but he does move it forward, his pass completion rate is high, he doesn’t give it away often, as a ball winning defensive midfielder, he’s more than acceptable in terms of his offensive contributions and support. The fact that you think he’s terrified to move it forward is laughable. He shows plenty initiative and engine.

Second of all, you are judging him as a CM. That’s not his position. For his position, he’s outstanding. There’s literally no one else in the league better at winning the ball back and disrupting play than him.

Third of all, he’s certainly our most important player, which is why he needs to play. Some posters here don’t think so, which is madness. But yes, agreed that’s a function of bad backups like Morgan.

Lastly, this player that can do what he does defensively and contribute the way you want offensively doesn’t exist. Gana is better than every one of them defensively. So why for some is that something we just take for granted? It’s just bizarre.

There is that, he has a pretty respectable goals per min ratio, is 27 and i think he a decent lid who has a good team ethic so i dont think a benching would be an issue if overall he had more mins.

The way i see it is, if you have aspirations of challenging for the top 4 you need layers of goal scorers or at least carry a threat going forward. Im utterly bored of creating so many chances with no one on the end of them. All the CL clubs have it, in their primary striker and back ups, Mordor has Sturridge, Utd Rashford, Chelsea Giroud, Spurs Lorente etc.

We dont have a primary forward of sufficient quality at the moment never mind a back up, for the context of the deal i wouldn't be dissapointed getting him as a short term solution from Jan and long term back up or option. I would still go out and drop 80 million on a forward mind in the summer.

Llorente has 1 league goal for spurs mate

Thing is Tel, you can't win sometimes. There are very few DMs around better than Gana at tackling, interceptions and closing down. DMs that are better at passing and linking play, like an in form Schneids or Barry, or dare I say William Carvalho, don't do the dirty side very well. Then you get the ones that are equally good at both sides, like Kante, Busquets, Matic. There's not many of them about and they won't come to Everton.

Our problem at the moment, in my humble opinionlol, is not Gana, it's the players around him. We don't have a midfielder who can link the defence to the attack, somebody who is a decent passer of the ball and can also carry it when required. A BTB type if you like. Also, we don't have a central defender who can pass/bring the ball out of defence effectively. I thought Mason would be able to do that but his passing is nowhere near good enough at the moment, plus he showed his inexperience defensively against West Ham. Mina may prove to be that player fingers crossed. Gomes may also prove to be the playmaking central midfielder we need.

So, the situation we have, there are 3 ways we can try to rectify it.

1) We buy a top class defensive midfielder who can do everything. Good luck there.

2) We can buy a deep lying playmaking midfielder. But we will still need somebody with good legs alongside him, like Gana or McCarthy to do the defensive covering for him. We then have to forego that BTB type player.

3) If Mina and Gomes can bring what we need, we can just let Gana do what he is good at. Covering the back 4 and winning the ball back. He won't need to build up play from the back because we have other's that can do that and he won't need to be the link to the attack. He'll basically just be required to do what he's good at. Very good at in fact.

If Mina and/or Gomes don't work out then bring somebody else in to replace them. But personally, I have a good feeling about both of them.
I think you are massively underrating Gana’s defensive abilities if you think Busquets or Matic make the same defensive contributions as Gana. Busquets is completely over the hill IMO.

Garth Barry was also so slow at the end of his tenure here he could’ve been the best passer in the world he shouldn’t have played. He made it singlehandedly difficult for us to defend anyone.

Yes but I'd personally rather just wait for the Summer if there isn't anything available in January. I think it's what they call wasted money.

Hes is out of contract in the summer which caught my eye, i think we would be looking at a knockdown fee. I agree with you we need to invest heavily in a forward in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back