Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Below is the letter James McLean wrote to his then chairman, explaining his reasons for not wearing a poppy. It's articulate, clear, and reasonable. There has never been any suggestion that he hates Britain or the British, or even that he merely tolerates the country pureply for the money he can earn here. His objection is to one particular annual practice, and even in this regard, he is simply opting out, rather than berating those who follow the custom of wearing a poppy. Many - Irish and otherwise - would agree with him. Neither is he - tachnically speaking - working in a foreign country. Although he would wish it different, he was born and raised in the UK.

Dear Mr Whelan

I wanted to write to you before talking about this face to face and explain my reasons for not wearing a poppy on my shirt for the game at Bolton.

I have complete respect for those who fought and died in both World Wars - many I know were Irish-born. I have been told that your own Grandfather Paddy Whelan, from Tipperary, was one of those.

I mourn their deaths like every other decent person and if the Poppy was a symbol only for the lost souls of World War I and II I would wear one.

I want to make that 100% clear .You must understand this.

But the Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different. Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland’s history – even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles – and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII.

It would be seen as an act of disrespect to those people; to my people.

I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy, I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year, I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you’re a man you should stand up for what you believe in.

I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons.

As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club’s supporters this explanation.

Yours sincerely,

James McClean
Seriously good letter.

No it hasn't.

He's our record signing and a very good player.

We should have been building the team around him this season, rather than throwing him in in different roles when he was half-fit etc.

It's no coincidence Rooney's form dropped off a cliff once Gylfi got injured.

Put him in a central role, and he can make things happen for us. He's never been a player who can control the tempo of a game, but that should come from a player behind him, operating next to a sweeper like Gueye.
I’m not saying he’s a bad player at all. But with a new regime we should be buying into a system and not relying on one man like we did with Lukaku.

So with the window open since last week and still no manager appointed how does this affect us?

...it’s all conjecture but it’s looking likely that Brands and Silva have been lined up for a while, so you would hope they’ve chatted and know how they want the team to play. You would also hope they have a shopping list and the club have done some groundwork on targets.

If we bring somebody in before 1st June you would have to think it’s with Brands endorsement, although there might be a bit more licence if it’s an U23 player.

...it’s all conjecture but it’s looking likely that Brands and Silva have been lined up for a while, so you would hope they’ve chatted and know how they want the team to play. You would also hope they have a shopping list and the club have done some groundwork on targets.

If we bring somebody in before 1st June you would have to think it’s with Brands endorsement, although there might be a bit more licence if it’s an U23 player.

It's that phrase "you would hope etc" which worries me. :(

...it’s Monday morning and here’s what’s being said in the transfer rumour columns;

- 4th Official again link Everton with Ajax playmaker, Hakim Zyach. The 25 year old Moroccan has expressed a wish to leave this summer.

- 4th Official also suggest Wayne Rooney has agreed to hold talks with with any new Everton Manager before making the switch to MLS side, DC United. The Mirror, however, say Everton are keen for the move to happen so the club gets Rooney’s huge wage off the books.

- Everton are now the bookies favourites to sign Watford winger Richarlison. The Liverpool Echo details the ‘pro’s and cons’ of any deal.

- The Daily Mirror report Aston Villa have joined Everton, Burnley and Newcastle in pursuit of Bristol City’s 24 year old left back, Joe Bryan.

- The Daily Mail link Everton with a £2.5m move for Schalke’s 21 year old forward, Donis Avdijaj.

- The Daily Mirror suggest Jack Wilshire is on the verge of signing a new 3 year contract with Arsenal despite being offered huge deals by Everton and Wolves.

...and a few other things;

- According to the Daily Mail, Everton are set to continue negotiations with managerial target, Marco Silva and his agent this week. It is thought some long-standing issues regarding Silva’s exit from Watford midway through last season are holding up any deal for the Toffees.

Richarlison will be extremely overprice. In fact it will be a revenge price. Echo carrying the speculation is a bit worrying. Swerve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back