Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vardy is a no brainer if the price is right, we need sheer pace.

He's got 2/3 years left in him imo and doesn't struggle with injuries.

The options of DCL, Tosun, Niasse and Vardy would be absolutely fine.

Two years? Try 7!

TBF, it's more like three years - last year he din't pull up any trees at Bournemouth (although he ran the show against us at their place I seem to recall), the two years before that he barely kicked a ball.

Before that he still had a patchy injury record (that might be a kind description) but he was playing well. Had a very decent 2-3 year spell.

I'll admit you're probably going back to 2014 or so as evidence of this, but as I said earlier, he's been pretty good this season and has largely avoided injuries.

I'd completely understand if the club swerved it owing to his injury record, it's been pretty diabolical - a quick look at his Wiki tells me he has only managed 160 or so league games in 9 years, but on the pitch (other than last season), I don't see any evidence that he wouldn't improve us hugely.

He is a massive ted though, so there is that...

Vardy is a no brainer if the price is right, we need sheer pace.

He's got 2/3 years left in him imo and doesn't struggle with injuries.

The options of DCL, Tosun, Niasse and Vardy would be absolutely fine.

This would be the key point, but given he and Mahrez are their best players, I don't see any way that the price would be a reasonable one

Plus he's 31, how many years has he got left with that kind of pace?

Wilshere's got ability but he's basically living off a reputation forged when he was 18 - he's now 26. My boss is an Arsenal ST holder and he's not remotely bothered about the thought of losing him on a free, says it all for me.

I'm guessing the same person though would have been devestated to lose Sanchez - who frankly this season for both United and Arsenal has looked woeful, and would have not been bothered about losing Walcott - who moving around the same time as Sanchez did is looking as good or better than he ever has done.

No offence either, but the absolute muppets who have made Arsenal a laughing stock via Arsenal fan tv are also in the main season ticket holders mate, it doesn't give them any great wisdom on players.

I am the exact opposite opinion of this.

Wilshere is injury prone but quality when fit. Carries the ball beautifully and has a decent eye for a pass. Doesn't score enough though. At the age of 26, he ticks an awful lot of boxes, particularly on a Bosman. Just the worry about his fitness

Vardy - Good striker, no question, but we are probably talking in the realms of £50m or so to buy him and for a 31 year old who is heavily reliant on his pace, it makes no financial sense whatsoever

I couldn't really care less whether it makes financial sense any more. With the money that's swirling around in the Premier League now, and the difference one place in the league makes, spending shedloads on a proven, 31 year old goalscorer isn't as much as a gamble as it used to be. We throw money around as it is, might as well spend it on quality for a change.

As for Wilshere, he's massively overrated in my opinion. Even though he's injury prone, top clubs like Arsenal don't let top players go out on loan to other teams if they really rate them.

Agree. Bernard is another. If you could pick up Wilshire and Bernard for nothing then that would be fantastic business.

Bernard is someone whose grown on us over the last season/season and a half, thought he'd be too lightweigth for this league, but not sure about that now, he's toughened up a lot.

Wiltshire, no brainer, he's better at that position than anyone we have in the squad and does things that we haven't had since Barkley got in injured/then left.

theres also a lot of other good and 'possibly' obtainable players coming out of contract this summer, De Vrij, Blind, Shaw, Young (those three united players have options to extend i think though), Fellaini, Meyer, Assamoah, Moutinho and a lot of others besides.

Throw in the amount of players around who have more reasonable release clauses inserted in contracts - like Manolas for example at 30-35m, and hopefully a decent DoF can avoid being totally bent over in terms of fees paid to clubs.

Wilshere keeps hold of the ball and moves it up the pitch well, very rarely misplaces a pass and draws in lots of fouls which is something we don't do and i think since he's been back he's look one of Arsenals better players. My worry with him would be that he appears to be one of the those players whose performances drop or rise depending on the quality around him. For Bournemouth in a team he should have been the star of he never stood out (personally i thought he was outplayed by Harry Arter) and for England he's always vanished when surrounded by technically poorer players than he has at Arsenal.

I'm guessing the same person though would have been devestated to lose Sanchez - who frankly this season for both United and Arsenal has looked woeful, and would have not been bothered about losing Walcott - who moving around the same time as Sanchez did is looking as good or better than he ever has done.

No offence either, but the absolute muppets who have made Arsenal a laughing stock via Arsenal fan tv are also in the main season ticket holders mate, it doesn't give them any great wisdom on players.
No offence either but you're wrong on both counts so...

This would be the key point, but given he and Mahrez are their best players, I don't see any way that the price would be a reasonable one

Plus he's 31, how many years has he got left with that kind of pace?

Vardy is in good nick, he reminds of me Defoe in terms of I doubt he will lose too much pace.

Either way, £15/20m for 3 years would be worth the investment imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back