Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

He wasn't as good as he had been, I agree. However, he was still probably one of our best player. He wasn't being utilised in any formation, playing left mid with possibly the worst left back we have seen grace Goodison, it was a difficult task. He looked like a different player once Baines and Walcott were in the team.

I personally don't think there demise was down to his sale, stoke fans and players didn't seem to care that he had gone. And it wasn't long ago that west ham wanted rid of him as well.

Statistically

Arnautovic
Appearances 156
Goals 33
Assists 29
Big chances created 40

Sigurdsson
Appearances 209
Goals 46
Assists 36
Big chances created 52

Theyre records look very similar to me. It's just not true to say that Stoke fans wanted rid of Arnautovich. In fact most of them were having kittens because they thought his 20 million pound fee was far too low.

I personally cant see us spending big on a striker, with us having Tosun, for me its very low on our list of needs.

We of course need more Striking options than Tosun and DCL, but I cant see us addressing them by spending 100m on Icardi or 50m on Martial.

Ive said I will refrain from saying we couldnt attract certain players, so I wont say it, but I doubt Icardi could spell Everton.

I agree. My guess is the plan should be that our increase in goals should come from players like Walcott and Lookman rather than adding another striker. With a more forward thinking style and Gylfi playing in the middle we should do a better job of creating chances. I think our biggest need is a stud CB with pace and a deep lying midfielder that can pick out a pass. Also a LB unless Everton is super comfortable with Antonee Robinson, which it seems early for that.

Theyre records look very similar to me. It's just not true to say that Stoke fans wanted rid of Arnautovich. In fact most of them were having kittens because they thought his 20 million pound fee was far too low.

But they aren't similar players...

Arnautovic is a forward. He either plays as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 or a central striker.

Gylfi is a midfielder.

I agree. My guess is the plan should be that our increase in goals should come from players like Walcott and Lookman rather than adding another striker. With a more forward thinking style and Gylfi playing in the middle we should do a better job of creating chances. I think our biggest need is a stud CB with pace and a deep lying midfielder that can pick out a pass. Also a LB unless Everton is super comfortable with Antonee Robinson, which it seems early for that.

If we do add another 'striker', I think it'll be somebody who can play anywhere across the front line well (it's why I suggested King, but Alassane Plea is the player that also springs to mind).

Ironically, I think this is what Sandro was brought in to do, so we may well see how that turns out in pre-season first.

DCL missed lots of chances last year, and you know it.

There are players such as Batshuayi and Martial who would be available given the transfer fee and wage is correct. We need to show ambition and get real quality in the side, or what's the point? I'd have no qualms about keeping DCL as a 3/4th choice CF - but he should not be leading the line at Everton.

I said when we lost Lukaku that Maro Icardi was available for around £50m.... we should have been all over that but we chose to not replace Lukaku.

Belotti didn't have a brilliant year, would he be available? If Rashford can't get a game would he be available on loan? Would Moussa Dembele be available? Could we have a go at Dolberg? Does Mandzukic want to try the PL? Shick hasn't played lots at Roma would he want a change?

These are the names we should be considering...

Icardi? mamdzuckic?
There’s ambitious and then there’s completely unrealistic

... is an excellent example of a player who went to Burnley for reasons other than one season of Europa League football

Defour went to Burnley from Anderlecht in 2016 because he knew Premier League football was his best chance of regaining his place in the Belgium squad...and he succeeded after half a dozen good displays for the Clarets.

The alternative was a big-money move to China or the middle-east and little chance of further international recognition.

... is an excellent example of a player who went to Burnley for reasons other than one season of Europa League football

Defour went to Burnley from Anderlecht in 2016 because he knew Premier League football was his best chance of regaining his plac in the Belgium squad...and he succeeded after half a dozen good displays for the Clarets.

The alternative was a big-money move to China or the middle-east and little chance of further international recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back