Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said he and a 19 yr old kid with 4 or 5 appearances for the 1st team. Can do the same job as Carvalho. My argument was they can’t, as gana is not a natural defensive midfielder, who sits in front of the 2 CB’s. He’s not disciplined enough to play that role. And he’s not good enough to play the box to box role.

Gana is a natural defensive midfielder though.

He doesn't lack the discipline to play there at all. It's just too often he's been asked to be the player that pushes forward from midfield (mainly because Schneiderlin doesn't have the legs to do it).

When he's tasked with being the sole defensive player in the system, he's excellent. Ask him to be the player that instigates our moves and you're negating a huge part of his game.

if Rooney was ever close to being the blue he claims to be, he’d just wave away what we owe him when he leaves. The guy’s got enough money to not leach of this club if he chooses to.

Why would anyone in their right mind turn it down though mate?

I agree with the principle, but that's not how it works, unfortunately!

From where does this idea that he lacks discipline come from? Seems to me he’s the absolute perfect defensive midfielder and would work well in Silva’s 4-2-3-1 where the two DCMs have to be athletic and go back and forth much like a box to box player. Gana can make the simple pass and run with the all a bit. But his value in winning the ball back so far outweighs any offensive inefficiency that he may have that he needs to be on the pitch.
But how many fans have been crying over the fact we play 2 DM’s against all the poor teams. And have you watched him for 2 yrs, he offers absolutely nothing going forward and that leaves a huge hole in our midfield, he shouldn’t be accommodated just because he can win the ball.

We are never going to agree. But if he’s that great as a defensive midfielder, why did Koeman spend 20+ mil on a defensive midfielder 6 months after he bought gana.

Still paying 75k a week to someone that will never play for this club again.
There should be a fee and their club should pay his wages in full just like every other club does.

His not being sacked like koeman or Martinez, there is no legal obligation to pay him anything once he is gone.

American clubs have a different transfer system to Europe, the clubs don't pay the transfer fees, the league does. It's why the likes of Beckham, Cole, Pirlo, Kaka, Villa and Ibrahimovic went out there on big wages

No, it wasn't. They were totally separate deals.

Lukaku cost Utd £75m up front with an additional £15m in add ons, and those add ons were things like amount of goals scored so I imagine we'll be getting them.

Rooney was a totally different deal. We didn't pay a fee but agreed to take on the majority of his wages. United were left paying a chunk, with the agreement that we'd take up more as his contract went on.

It still worked out cheaper for United to get him off their books (mostly).
on lukaku those add-ons aren't guaranteed. It's likely they will include winning the champions league,premier league, ballon for, as well as goals.
On Rooney your getting away from the point, we did united a favour by taking him off their hands. He was finished a long time ago. And the fee would have been higher then 75m had Rooney not come.

The club isn't that stupid to see coutinho and mbappe leave for 150 odd million and sell lukaku for half that

on lukaku those add-ons aren't guaranteed. It's likely they will include winning the champions league,premier league, ballon for, as well as goals.
On Rooney your getting away from the point, we did united a favour by taking him off their hands. He was finished a long time ago. And the fee would have been higher then 75m had Rooney not come.

The club isn't that stupid to see coutinho and mbappe leave for 150 odd million and sell lukaku for half that

We'll have received a fair chunk of the add ons already. At the time it was well reported by Hunter, Joyce, King etc that they were very achievable - I'm sure one of them went on to stipulate that if we hadn't received half of those add ons by the end of 17/18, then Lukaku's move would be considered an unmitigated disaster.

We'll end up with at least £85m for Rom, if not the full £90m.

Rooney was nothing to do with the Lukaku deal. So no, I'm not getting away from the point.

Had Rooney not come, we'd also have been 10 league goals worse off, as well, and wouldn't have come close to finishing top half.

Also, Lukaku left before any of the Neymar/Mbappe deals etc went through.

At the time we sold Lukaku, he was the joint-record signing (including the add ons).

That has since been smashed three times over.

American clubs have a different transfer system to Europe, the clubs don't pay the transfer fees, the league does. It's why the likes of Beckham, Cole, Pirlo, Kaka, Villa and Ibrahimovic went out there on big wages
1)did all of those players leave on a free despite having a year left on their contract
2) did all of those players have part of their wages paid for by their previous clubs

Gana is a natural defensive midfielder though.

He doesn't lack the discipline to play there at all. It's just too often he's been asked to be the player that pushes forward from midfield (mainly because Schneiderlin doesn't have the legs to do it).

When he's tasked with being the sole defensive player in the system, he's excellent. Ask him to be the player that instigates our moves and you're negating a huge part of his game.
Like I’ve just posted, why did Koeman feel the need to go and buy a defensive midfielder fir over 20mil, 6 months after buying gana. Let’s leave it now we will never agree.

To be honest it feels like Groundhog Day. As 2/3 years ago we were having the same discussion about McCarthy. When you were trying to tell me he was a world beater.

But how many fans have been crying over the fact we play 2 DM’s against all the poor teams. And have you watched him for 2 yrs, he offers absolutely nothing going forward and that leaves a huge hole in our midfield, he shouldn’t be accommodated just because he can win the ball.

We are never going to agree. But if he’s that great as a defensive midfielder, why did Koeman spend 20+ mil on a defensive midfielder 6 months after he bought gana.
Because Koeman didn't know what he was doing

We'll have received a fair chunk of the add ons already. At the time it was well reported by Hunter, Joyce, King etc that they were very achievable - I'm sure one of them went on to stipulate that if we hadn't received half of those add ons by the end of 17/18, then Lukaku's move would be considered an unmitigated disaster.

Rooney was nothing to do with the Lukaku deal. So no, I'm not getting away from the point.

Had Rooney not come, we'd also have been 10 league goals worse off, as well, and wouldn't have come close to finishing top half.
United winning the cl and the pl are considered very acheivable targets for that team under moriniho by some People.

No way will be it be based on purely appearances and goals
They never are.

And on Rooney he never scored in the second half of the season so yes we would have we finished top half regardless. His **** form was one of the reasons he has as subbed off many times in 2018

Like I’ve just posted, why did Koeman feel the need to go and buy a defensive midfielder fir over 20mil, 6 months after buying gana. Let’s leave it now we will never agree.

To be honest it feels like Groundhog Day. As 2/3 years ago we were having the same discussion about McCarthy. When you were trying to tell me he was a world beater.

You've completely missed the point.

Gana was our best player in the first half of 16/17, by far.

Koeman - as we all did - wanted a player who could come in and get on the ball deep in midfield. He knew Gana couldn't do it, but that wasn't because Gana is a bad defensive midfielder.

Go back to some posts around that time and see what we were all crying out for - a player to come in and play the box-to-box role.

Unfortunately, despite his good start, Schneiderlin hasn't lived up to the billing.

And I don't think I ever said McCarthy was a world beater. He was just very good at the job he did and at that time was crucial to how we wanted to play.

I'm not saying Gana is a world beater. You just have this ridiculous concept that he isn't a good defensive midfielder when that's exactly what he is. It's the other parts of his game that need improvement.

Also, Lukaku left before any of the Neymar/Mbappe deals etc went through.

At the time we sold Lukaku, he was the joint-record signing (including the add ons).

That has since been smashed three times over.
Pushing it that I think. Didn't he score 4 pens and 1 rebound from his own missed pen?

I don't think he had a bad season by any means, but I wouldn't use his goalscoring record as an example of his usefulness.

1)did all of those players leave on a free despite having a year left on their contract
2) did all of those players have part of their wages paid for by their previous clubs

Zlatan had 6 months on his United contract, the rest were out of contract I believe (think technically Lampard was still under contract with City when he moved to New York City)

United winning the cl and the pl are considered very acheivable targets for that team under moriniho by some People.

No way will be it be based on purely appearances and goals
They never are.

And on Rooney he never scored in the second half of the season so yes we would have we finished top half regardless. His **** form was one of the reasons he has as subbed off many times in 2018

I'm not saying they are all based on goals. Read what I've written.

Can you tell me what I have said there about DCL that you'd actually disagree with though?

I'm not at all saying that the other forwards you name aren't better - of course they are.

But that doesn't mean there isn't a place in our side/squad for DCL.
After 50 odd appearances for Everton, you can tell if a player has 'it'.
DCL doesn't have 'it'. He's simply not a striker, he cannot score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back