Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to that O'keefe podcast that Silva often signs players from Portugal/Russia/Greece and likes to have a big say on transfers and not swayed by who the fans/board want.

Will be interesting to see how him and Brands relationship goes.

Interesting indeed seeing as a manager can't sign a player without the boards say so as they simply won't release the funds.

Brands is effectively Silvas boss now and while I imagine Silva will have no small amount of input on the players being brought in brands will be the one having last say. If brands doesn't like them they won't be coming. If Silva has a problem with that I doubt he would of signed for us.

No way at all Gana starts with Carvalho. Silva always plays a number 8, see Ndiaye, Cleverley, Kasami.

If we are ever to improve we need to walk away from trying to turn Gueye into an 8. He is a DM. Carvalho starts, Gana is benched.

At this stage;
Pickford
Coleman Holgate Mori (new LB)
Carvalho Klaassen
Walcott Sigurdsson Lookman
Tosun

Selling players and a starting LB the priorities. Front 4 is ace (though a new winger would be more than welcome).

I would have 'liked' this post if you hadnt added Mori and Klaassen to the team.

No way at all Gana starts with Carvalho. Silva always plays a number 8, see Ndiaye, Cleverley, Kasami.

If we are ever to improve we need to walk away from trying to turn Gueye into an 8. He is a DM. Carvalho starts, Gana is benched.

At this stage;
Pickford
Carvalho Klaassen
Tosun

Selling players and a starting LB the priorities. Front 4 is ace (though a new winger would be more than welcome).
He'll play a 4-2-3-1. Cleverly usually played higher up the pitch for Silva and more like a 10. Doucoure was the 8, often he'd play Capoue with him, especially with the lead.

Regardless, Carvalho and Gana can both play in Silva's setup. Carvalho played a lot of games the past two years as more of a box to box player and can carry the ball. Gana can push the ball forward, too, he just can't be expected to be a playmaker. It's not like Silva often had some static #6 sitting in front of the back 4 doing nothing (Morgan).

At this stage;
Pickford
Carvalho Klaassen
Tosun

He'll play a 4-2-3-1. Cleverly usually played higher up the pitch for Silva and more like a 10. Doucoure was the 8, often he'd play Capoue with him, especially with the lead.

Regardless, Carvalho and Gana can both play in Silva's setup. Carvalho played a lot of games the past two years as more of a box to box player and can carry the ball. Gana can push the ball forward, too, he just can't be expected to be a playmaker. It's not like Silva often had some static #6 sitting in front of the back 4 doing nothing (Morgan).

Using the Watford system with the current players we have;

CM - Gana (no attacking ability) Davies/Baningime (Needs to develop) Klaassen/Schneiderlin/McCarthy (Sold)

None of these players has the skillset to effectively play the system. I could see Gana being an option off the bench to tighten things up but not a starter. He's not a box to box player, hes only been good for us when in a defensive role.

So, I think Silva will either buy 1 top CM player who is very attacking (the opposite of Gana) or he will buy 2 CMs and Gana will slot onto the bench.

CM - Gana (no attacking ability) Davies/Baningime (Needs to develop) Klaassen/Schneiderlin/McCarthy (Sold)

None of these players has the skillset to effectively play the system. I could see Gana being an option off the bench to tighten things up but not a starter. He's not a box to box player, hes only been good for us when in a defensive role.

So, I think Silva will either buy 1 top CM player who is very attacking (the opposite of Gana) or he will buy 2 CMs and Gana will slot onto the bench.

Klaassen is box to box, Davies could play the role with some coaching, so could Iceland, in a 4-3-3.

Silva wont play a system that doesnt suit the players, I really, really think he will favour the 4-3-3 or the 4-1-4-1 initially, see if he can make it work.

Still think we have midfielders falling out the cupboards, but, we could certainly do with a proper box to box, but that will depend on whether we can shift Snides and whether Silva thinks he can turn Klaassen into a player, I know you hate the fella, but if he could adjust hes some player.

Think theres something in the Willy C story, which is strange cos we dont really need another DM, IMO, but Willy C isnt like anything we have in terms of style.

Klaassen is box to box, Davies could play the role with some coaching, so could Iceland, in a 4-3-3.

Silva wont play a system that doesnt suit the players, I really, really think he will favour the 4-3-3 or the 4-1-4-1 initially, see if he can make it work.

Still think we have midfielders falling out the cupboards, but, we could certainly do with a proper box to box, but that will depend on whether we can shift Snides and whether Silva thinks he can turn Klaassen into a player, I know you hate the fella, but if he could adjust hes some player.

Think theres something in the Willy C story, which is strange cos we dont really need another DM, IMO, but Willy C isnt like anything we have in terms of style.
Klaasen is a player that was out of his element, he gained support solely bc people hated SA

Hopefully we sign Carvalho regardless, he will improve the squad. Uncertain as to where it would leave Gana, as he's not the most talented player on the ball, does however fit in with silvas pressing style.
Hopefully it does mean that French rat can do one though.

...here’s what’s in the rumour round-up this Saturday morning;

- According to the Liverpool Echo, Wayne Rooney’s move to D.C. United could be confirmed as early as Monday but the player has insisted on a contract clause which allows him to return to Everton as a coach. The MLS official site also suggest the deal is nearly done.

- The Mirror report Everton have joined the race to sign West Ham striker, Marko Arnautovic. The Hammers value the player at £50m.

- SkySports suggest Sporting Lisbon are actively working with midfielder William Carvalho to get him a move to the Premiership. At this point, Everton seems the most likely destination for the 26 year old Portuguese international.

- SkySports also say Everton are leading the race to sign 21 year old Norwich playmaker, James Maddison. Liverpool, Tottenham, Manchester City and Southampton are also reportedly interested in the player valued at £20m-£25m by Norwich.

- 4th Official continue to link Everton with Crystal Palace’s 27 year old left back, Patrick van Aanholt.

- The Liverpool Echo report Rangers boss, Steven Gerrard, wants 18 year old Everton starlet, Alex Denny. The youngster was set to sign a new deal with Everton but apparently negotiations have stalled.

- According to the Liverpool Echo, Wayne Rooney’s move to D.C. United could be confirmed as early as Monday but the player has insisted on a contract clause which allows him to return to Everton as a coach. The MLS official site also suggest the deal is nearly done.

- The Mirror report Everton have joined the race to sign West Ham striker, Marko Arnautovic. The Hammers value the player at £50m.

- SkySports suggest Sporting Lisbon are actively working with midfielder William Carvalho to get him a move to the Premiership. At this point, Everton seems the most likely destination for the 26 year old Portuguese international.

- SkySports also say Everton are leading the race to sign 21 year old Norwich playmaker, James Maddison. Liverpool, Tottenham, Manchester City and Southampton are also reportedly interested in the player valued at £20m-£25m by Norwich.

- 4th Official continue to link Everton with Crystal Palace’s 27 year old left back, Patrick van Aanholt.

- The Liverpool Echo report Rangers boss, Steven Gerrard, wants 18 year old Everton starlet, Alex Denny. The youngster was set to sign a new deal with Everton but apparently negotiations have stalled.
Morning @Eggs if we paid £50 million for Arnoutovic I would weep. He’s had half a decent season.

Morning @Eggs if we paid £50 million for Arnoutovic I would weep. He’s had half a decent season.

I think we almost have to ignore money , you’ll be reading eggs’ round ups in a couple of years and it’ll be 150m for the likes of him . I’m not sure he’s particularly what we need so I’ll dismiss it as paper talk but on he’s day he’s a player .

The fella did well for Stoke then better for West Ham so for me it’s more than half a season , losing him is probably why stoke went down .

The system you just described is not the system the other poster described.

Honestly, if Doucoure, Capoue, and whatever other DCM they used can play together, Gana and Carvalho can play together. Carvalho played quite a bit CM last year and even more the year before. He can carry the ball. Gana can, too. We forget that Gana had the highest pass % in the team and he was playing out of position. But his issue was that he was being unnaturally pushed up the field due to having Morgan behind him. He can move the ball fine as a DCM. He can play disciplined, etc.

The idea that Gana would be on the bench would be about as dumb as it gets. They aren’t getting Willy C to sit Gana. He’s our best player.

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Get ozyakup in for 10-12m let Klassen go the other way to rebuild his value and rep on loan, get big willy c in for a knock down price, ship of the French fraud and your boy Besic to cover that cost/wages.

Use the agent link to get Lozano in, get shut of Bolasie, mirallas again the fees will probably see us break even in those three deals.

Instantly upgrade on three positions and reduce the age of the starting 11 to boot.

Spend whatever money we actually have available on a left back (Meyer, Shaw etc), center back (quality one and just a solid third choice) and a option up front (would even take Hernandez at a okay price, or try get Silva from Milan on loan, or the boy dolberg lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back