Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I’ve seen of Richarlison, he is a lot more creative and involved in a game way more than anyone we currently have. Same with Mooy of Huddersfield, watched a lot of him and stands out every time. I don’t think he’s the type we’d buy but I think he’d become a favourite here, would rather have him than some of the dross we have and linked with.

..Mooy is a talent but from what I have seen he really lacks pace, and we have enough players in that bracket.

Carvalho looks like a flop waiting to happen. His name has cropped up for the last 3 or 4 summers with no one willing to pull the trigger
I agree. But in fairness a lot of this is down to his club which is notoriously difficult to deal with. The Portuguese clubs give the Russians and Ukrainian's a run for their money in this regard.

Big Willy is a very underestimated player imo. He's one of the few genuine DMs around and what he lacks in speed he more than makes up for in his positional sense and reading of the game. His discipline allows a team to play a proper 4141 formation. Whether Silva has it in mind to play that formation I don't know, but if he does it is very attacking and most of the pressing would be going on ahead of him. Think Manchester City.

A lot of what he does goes unnoticed, and it's only when he isn't playing that you see the difference. When he plays his teams tend not to concede many, whether that be Sporting or Portugal. OK. you can say that outside the top 3/4, the standard in his league is poor. But Sporting were in a champions league group with Barcelona, Juventus and Olympiacos and conceded just 8 in 6 games. FFS, we'd have struggled not to concede 8 in 1 match against Barcelona or Juventus.

He's very decent on the ball too. He averages 50/60 passes per game with a success ratio of around 90%. He can also see a pass so can turn defence to attack very quickly, something we've lost since GazBaz left us. He's also tall and pretty good in the air, something else we lack. At 26 he's in his prime and is one of the first names on his countries team sheet after Ronaldo.

I've no idea whether he's in the thoughts of either Brands or Silva, but the notion that he isn't good enough for Everton as some on here are saying is, quite honestly, ridiculous.

I agree. But in fairness a lot of this is down to his club which is notoriously difficult to deal with. The Portuguese clubs give the Russians and Ukrainian's a run for their money in this regard.

Big Willy is a very underestimated player imo. He's one of the few genuine DMs around and what he lacks in speed he more than makes up for in his positional sense and reading of the game. His discipline allows a team to play a proper 4141 formation. Whether Silva has it in mind to play that formation I don't know, but if he does it is very attacking and most of the pressing would be going on ahead of him. Think Manchester City.

A lot of what he does goes unnoticed, and it's only when he isn't playing that you see the difference. When he plays his teams tend not to concede many, whether that be Sporting or Portugal. OK. you can say that outside the top 3/4, the standard in his league is poor. But Sporting were in a champions league group with Barcelona, Juventus and Olympiacos and conceded just 8 in 6 games. FFS, we'd have struggled not to concede 8 in 1 match against Barcelona or Juventus.

He's very decent on the ball too. He averages 50/60 passes per game with a success ratio of around 90%. He can also see a pass so can turn defence to attack very quickly, something we've lost since GazBaz left us. He's also tall and pretty good in the air, something else we lack. At 26 he's in his prime and is one of the first names on his countries team sheet after Ronaldo.

I've no idea whether he's in the thoughts of either Brands or Silva, but the notion that he isn't good enough for Everton as some on here are saying is, quite honestly, ridiculous.

Hes a very decent player IMO, hes not flashy and doesnt run around like a headless chicken, which makes people think hes useless.

Theres a danger the game could pass him by in this league, so theres a chance he could flop, but I think he would fit in nicely to how Silva wants us to play.

Using the Watford system with the current players we have;

CM - Gana (no attacking ability) Davies/Baningime (Needs to develop) Klaassen/Schneiderlin/McCarthy (Sold)

None of these players has the skillset to effectively play the system. I could see Gana being an option off the bench to tighten things up but not a starter. He's not a box to box player, hes only been good for us when in a defensive role.

So, I think Silva will either buy 1 top CM player who is very attacking (the opposite of Gana) or he will buy 2 CMs and Gana will slot onto the bench.
Exactly this.

He pretty much plays a 4141, which becomes 4231 when defending. No way Carvalho plays with Gana. No different to Schneiderlin/Gana. And Gana doesn't box to box, at all.

Sure, put Carvalho in that role. But the entire point of the CDM is basically a ball playing CB. Again, not Gana.

In all situations. I think Gana is the weakest link and sits out. He is part of the problem, in a progressive style.

...and I love the fella.

..Mooy is a talent but from what I have seen he really lacks pace, and we have enough players in that bracket.

Agree completely. We have to have pace in at least 2 out of three MF positions. If we don’t we are going to see more of the same as this year. You can cover for one player that isn’t pacey (if they are quick of mind and skillful obviously). But if 2 of 3 are slow then we’ll get overrun

I would have 'liked' this post if you hadnt added Mori and Klaassen to the team.
Mori. We are going to play a high line, right? Thus ruling out Jags (and the transfer rumours for Mori are jarg). For all Moris faults (apparently), he is quick thus edges out Jags. Keane is slower than a snail. That leaves Mori and Holgate. Happy for a new signing, or two. At this stage, its those two.

Klassen. Nobody really else for this role mate. Other than Davies (with coaching) Davy fits the role perfectly, happy for another CM in that role to be to be purchased. But then Klaassen becomes backup.

Should add: I'm happy with new signings coming in when we start cleaning up the squad. I.e Rooney, Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Keane, (Martina to make people happy least of our concerns though IMO), Baines (eh......I'm buying into Daveks argument tbf), Williams (Atlantic Ocean) etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back