Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching Carvalho last night it confirmed my opinion that he is solid , competent but largely unexceptional.
I'm not against recruiting him by any means, every good team needs functional players in key positions, but I would prefer a touch more flair.
He's the sort of player that will be useful when killing a game or when we need to keep possession... Rarely gives it away and is composed on the ball. The main issue, which everyone has noticed is that he's horrendously slow.
I saw that too. Not sure he is the same with the driving runs forward though.
Reminded more of Fellaini when he first arrived at Everton.

Hopefully, I don't think he's close to what we need, we don't need to be making big money gambles like that. He may turn out great but we could get someone with serious rep and experience for that price.
I don't think that statement is entirely true though.
If we go for Maddison we will be getting an exciting , still very young player who has gone out of his way to play first team football and has so far excelled at every step. Can he continue his progress at the next step ? You are right that is the great unknown, but if he can you will immediately have a player worth far in excess of £25 million.
If you spend the same amount of money on a more experienced player you are at best getting a player who has still failed to hit the heights that Maddison may be capable of and for whom time is beginning to run out.
£25m doesn't guarantee top quality these days and both option represent a gamble, I'd prefer the potential reward of the younger player at this point.
In the end if we go for Maddison it will be an educated gamble by Brands/Silva and our scouting team and I'm happy to support that.

If we go for Maddison we will be getting an exciting , still very young player who has gone out of his way to play first team football and has so far excelled at every step. Can he continue his progress at the next step ? You are right that is the great unknown, but if he can you will immediately have a player worth far in excess of £25 million.
If you spend the same amount of money on a more experienced player you are at best getting a player who has still failed to hit the heights that Maddison may be capable of and for whom time is beginning to run out.
£25m doesn't guarantee top quality these days and both option represent a gamble, I'd prefer the potential reward of the younger player at this point.
In the end if we go for Maddison it will be an educated gamble by Brands/Silva and our scouting team and I'm happy to support that.

I think we have players like lookman, vlasic, dowell and Sandro who are just as good if not better than him, it'd be a waste imo. We have a great academy, it for me stops the need to overpay on risky moves for such players and saves us millions. It means we can pay that sort of fee on someone who will start immediately.

Been saying the same thing for years.

I think we have players like lookman, vlasic, dowell and Sandro who are just as good if not better than him, it'd be a waste imo. We have a great academy, it for me stops the need to overpay on risky moves for such players and saves us millions. It means we can pay that sort of fee on someone who will start immediately.

None of those players listed can play as a ball carrying centre midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back