Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah seems like a good lad to have around, can play all over the place, but it could be the case that goes against him, most teams prefer somebody who has a fixed role in the squad these days, nobody seems to know what his best position is. Hard to say without having a proper look at him at a higher level than hes played at so far.

Ipswich fans raved about him and hes managed to get back in England u21s based on that.

Ideal to come off the bench in an emergency even if he only turns out average.

Things I know...

...Lozano is good. Not because he had a great game today, but because he's been outstanding for PSV, Mexico, and Pachuca before that.

Chucky is also versatile. He can play as a true wing and as a central attacker.

Mexico's front 3 includes a right back, Layun, and Carlos Vela, who is absoutely still good. He was no slouch at Real Sociedad, even if he never really made it at Arsenal. Lookman absolutely doesn't get into that side ahead of Chucky or Vela.

Lookman is going to be a contributor next year, but to ask him to start a left inside forward, is not the best idea UNLESS we are buying a stud left back, a stud box-to-box player, and an elite center back.

Sigurdsson is not an 8, should never play 8, and the idea that we should take our most creative midfielder and make him play a position he's never EVER played before is just absurd. We paid money for him to score and set up goals. Like he's done at EVERY team he's ever been with. He should be the pivot in Silva's middle 3. It's the perfect position for him.
Silly question but can someone explain what a pivot is in old money
I grew up on 4/4/2 with the great Teams of the 70s and Dochertys United.

That’s my bad, it’s just basically an attacking midfielder, but I think the 10 in Silva’s team was described as that. It’s Cleverly’s role at Watford. Silva liked to play out of the back and get his fullbacks forward, but Cleverly was the guy they played it to who moved it wide to the forwards. I think he tended to sit a bit deeper on defense, though.

That’s my bad, it’s just basically an attacking midfielder, but I think the 10 in Silva’s team was described as that. It’s Cleverly’s role at Watford. Silva liked to play out of the back and get his fullbacks forward, but Cleverly was the guy they played it to who moved it wide to the forwards. I think he tended to sit a bit deeper on defense, though.

The pivot position is what Busquets does not an attacking mid.

The pivot position is what Busquets does not an attacking mid.

So sits in front of the back 4 , breaks up attacks and collects from the back 4 and passes forward

A pivot is a made up buzz word that somebody who doesn' really understand football uses to try to convince others he is actually tactically astute.

In general terms, a 'pivot' is the central point of a rotational system.

In football terms, 'pivot' is a sound occasionally emitted from a virgin adult male.

But if he plays as a pivot in the middle 3 that means we play 2 DMS behind him, if he plays as an 8, which I personally dont see how he cant, that means he can play ALONGSIDE somebody and still create and score.

We wouldn't have to play two DM's behind him though.

We'd just play Davies or - ideally - a new signing who can play that box-to-box role?

We'd just play Davies or - ideally - a new signing who can play that box-to-box role?
I miss the 3/5/2 system I used to watch my dad play for his works team in the 60s
He was a tricky speedy outside right who hugged the touch line and played with his socks around his ankles.
I remember him getting a really bad grass burn on the back of his leg one summer

That's the way I see it gueye and a doucoure type player behind, running aots, knicking the ball back, joining defence and attack.

This is where keeping schneiderlin doesn't make sense but also offers a different option if we want someone to just sit there in front of the back four.

Why?. Because he scored a goal in a world cup game?.

Took his goal well, and is very quick, but I do think everyone is going overboard on his performance here.

I think he's made poor decisions a couple of times when breaking, his tracking back on Kimmitch has been awful switching off frequently, has given tge ball away in defensive areas and a poor touch led to a free kick they hit the bar from.

Not trying to put a downer on it but this kid is far from world class and no way is he out of our reach. Thats if we're even in for him.

Lookman would be having a blinder here given the same space.
He has a touch of the Deulofeu’s about him, lots of pace and skill, suspect stamina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back