Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
But surely there is a threshold that would allow for the negating of a contract under certain circumstances? Managers / chairman cannot be allowed to get away with subjecting their players to physical violence in response to a perceived under performance from their players.

And in this case, the President did send a mob of hooligans to assault their playing staff as a punishment for under-performing. For me, that's a valid reason for cancelling your contract.

Is there proof he did that?
Or did they ‘get into the training ground in their own’ and attack the players.

Edit - the club stately at the time suggests they were unknown attackers.

I can’t see how the players can just walk away from their contracts costing the club millions because of the criminal actions from people outside of the club. The club provide them with exceptional facilities. How are they supposed to make it safer for them?

There is no way FIFA , the Portuguese FA or Sporting will allow those players to walk away on a free citing just cause or a non safe working environment
Employment lawyers would be all over every players contract worldwide.
Player has public row with manager ( which he instigated)
Manager drops player
Player claims bullying and cites just cause and walks away.
It’ll never be allowed happen
Agreed fees or a FIFA decided fee is the most likely outcome.
If the Sporting President is as much of a headcase as is claimed he could drag this through the court for years and the players could end doing a Barkley for 2 or 3 seasons.

I completely agree. If this happens they will set a precedence for all other players to exploit. Wolves appear to have jumped the gun, no doubt because of their ties to Mednez who is clearly confident his client has terminated his contract. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out and what happens with this other players.

it will literally get to the point, where a player can say a fan / fans were chanting at them during the game and they now feel unsafe to go on the pitch and will look to terminate their contract
I would be very surprised if the players and their agents are taking this action without having sought extensive legal advice. You may be right that it won't happen, but it seems pretty obvious that it's not as clear cut as you suggest, otherwise it wouldn't have got to this stage.

But surely there is a threshold that would allow for the negating of a contract under certain circumstances? Managers / chairman cannot be allowed to get away with subjecting their players to physical violence in response to a perceived under performance from their players.

And in this case, the President did send a mob of hooligans to assault their playing staff as a punishment for under-performing. For me, that's a valid reason for cancelling your contract.

If it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that he did it
As far as I’m aware he has not admitted to it.

I would be very surprised if the players and their agents are taking this action without having sought extensive legal advice. You may be right that it won't happen, but it seems pretty obvious that it's not as clear cut as you suggest, otherwise it wouldn't have got to this stage.
I’m not saying it’s clear cut anything but.
The players may eventually leave but it won’t be on a free transfer.
Too much money at stake worldwide.

If we had genuine interest in any Sporting player, I’d still be inclined to offer them a nominal fee for a player rather than let them leave for nothing.

This is a desperately sad and serious situation for that club, as usual the biggest losers there will be the fans.

I agree that those players won’t have opted to terminate their contracts without extensive legal advice though, the club has a duty of care towards its employees which it seems it failed to enact.

There will be plenty of sharks circling, it’s a nasty situation all round.

Should really be in for loads of their players who are leaving. Can't be worse than the gang of losers we've got playing for us at the moment. Ship out the deadwood, replace it with Sporting's players for free.

If we had genuine interest in any Sporting player, I’d still be inclined to offer them a nominal fee for a player rather than let them leave for nothing.

This is a desperately sad and serious situation for that club, as usual the biggest losers there will be the fans.

I agree that those players won’t have opted to terminate their contracts without extensive legal advice though, the club has a duty of care towards its employees which it seems it failed to enact.

There will be plenty of sharks circling, it’s a nasty situation all round.
Wasnt it the fans who attacked the players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back