Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends on priorities...

I'm sorry Dave but if youre telling me that CF was "just as big a problem as LB and CB", that simply wouldnt be true.

I think we can both agree that given the choice of Baines/ Robinson at LB this season OR seeing Digne (who impresses you) then you would choose Digne if the sacrifice was Tosun/DCL rotating.

Secondly, it's interesting that we signed Bernard who primarily plays on the left, yet we had Richarlison. Brazil play Richarlison up top, perhaps we will also...which may have been the plan in summer. This negates your complaint about a forward...Brazils number 9 should be good enough.

I'm going to stick to my guns and say Pickford, Mina, Digne, Bernard, Richarlison and Onyekuru are the only (over 21) players who will be safe next summer...

If Richarlison cuts the mustard up top till January then id hope we begin culling the centre of midfield and replacing them with more top additions.
Well, I identified it as so (the striker situation being as crucial as LB/CB upgrades), so I'm being consistent.

Richarlison up front. Yes, that's an option. However, two things: 1/ he's played very well coming in from out wide and putting him as the one up on his own might unsettle his good form; and 2/ Digne is good, but he also needs a partner on the left who will dig in and run back to help him out - and Richarlison was doing that for Baines and Digne needed that on Sunday against WHU because he was caught out for the first goal.

baines, jags and williams all leaving for free at the end of the season.

klassen and rooney already gone, for half the price and on a free respectivley..
siggurdson looks like he will stay and leave on a free when his contract ends
walcott 30 this season and will leave on a free when his contract is up
james mccarthy either going to have to sell him for very little or offer him a new deal with improved wages
zouma and gomes heading back at the end of the season
gueye another one will be 30 next september not likley to be sold will probably leave on a free
scneiderlin only has another 2 seasons left will leave for free in 2021 or lose money on his value if sold
coleman 30 this year likely to retire here.

the summer was meant to get the wage bill down, it actually increased
the accounts likley to show losses when released
silva has 2 wins in his last 12 matches
usmanov looks like he isnt coming here
stadium on a knife edge.

these are worrying times,what are we going to do
@Steve0
We need 9 new players and a new stadium..
Or we could go down and regroup...

Well, I identified it as so (the striker situation being as crucial as LB/CB upgrades), so I'm being consistent.

Richarlison up front. Yes, that's an option. However, two things: 1/ he's played very well coming in from out wide and putting him as the one up on his own might unsettle his good form; and 2/ Digne is good, but he also needs a partner on the left who will dig in and run back to help him out - and Richarlison was doing that for Baines and Digne needed that on Sunday against WHU because he was caught out for the first goal.

1:
Im beginning to think that Bernard was always the plan for the left. Silvas comments about Vlasic show that Sigurdsson and Dowell are the 2 he fancies behind the forward which is why he allowed Vlasic on loan. Bernard hasnt been signed for the benc

Looking at the rebuilding then we may see the left looking like Digne (25)/Robinson (21) + Bernard(25)/Onyekuru(21) next season.

The weakness i think is on the right. Of the 4 right sided players needed (2 starters and 2 rotation) i think only Kenny should be retained based upon Coleman being a different player since his injury and Walcott not being top quality.

So 3 players possibly needed on the right.

2: I put the goals down to the central areas. The supposed defensive midfield didnt provide any cover and simply jogged back and also Zouma showed their player Yarmolenko inside.

I think Mina(23)/Holgate(21) are fine for one CB position but we need 2 new centre backs.

In the central midfield areas i think we have Dowell(20)/Vlasic(20)/Davies(20)/Baningime(19) but still need 2 top class starters.

3 players on the right
2 players at Centre back
2 players in Centre Midfield

I'm hopeful that we sign any 2 of these in Jan then look to improve with 5 more in the summer.

This may well decrease if someone like Dowell can make a position his own before end of the season.

1:
Im beginning to think that Bernard was always the plan for the left. Silvas comments about Vlasic show that Sigurdsson and Dowell are the 2 he fancies behind the forward which is why he allowed Vlasic on loan. Bernard hasnt been signed for the benc

Looking at the rebuilding then we may see the left looking like Digne (25)/Robinson (21) + Bernard(25)/Onyekuru(21) next season.

The weakness i think is on the right. Of the 4 right sided players needed (2 starters and 2 rotation) i think only Kenny should be retained based upon Coleman being a different player since his injury and Walcott not being top quality.

2: I put the goals down to the central areas. The supposed defensive midfield didnt provide any cover and simply jogged back and also Zouma showed their player Yarmolenko inside.

I think Mina(23)/Holgate(21) are fine for one CB position but we need 2 new centre backs.

In the central midfield areas i think we have Dowell(20)/Vlasic(20)/Davies(20)/Baningime(19) but still need 2 top class starters.

3 players on the right
2 players at Centre back

I'm hopeful that we sign any 2 of these in Jan then look to improve with 5 more in the summer.

This may well decrease if someone like Dowell can make a position his own before end of the season.
Well, I'd be inclined to avoid those musical chairs for now and concentrate on making the system work that he wants in place for the defence. It's early days for that and if/when it gets sorted it could simplify matters. Also having that GK get his head screwed on will improve defensive matters greatly. It all starts with him.

Richarlison: I honestly cant imagine Silva signed him to play up front. I just dont think that's his Plan A.

Bernard: it's going to be interesting seeing where he fits in with Richarlison back. I suspect back to the bench for now.

Personally I'd like to see this tried:

Walcott-----Bernard------Richarlison
----------------Tosun

Well, I'd be inclined to avoid those musical chairs for now and concentrate on making the system work that he wants in place for the defence. It's early days for that and if/when it gets sorted it could simplify matters. Also having that GK get his head screwed on will improve defensive matters greatly. It all starts with him.

Richarlison: I honestly cant imagine Silva signed him to play up front. I just dont think that's his Plan A.

Bernard: it's going to be interesting seeing where he fits in with Richarlison back. I suspect back to the bench for now.

Personally I'd like to see this tried:

Walcott-----Bernard------Richarlison
----------------Tosun

I can't see how you want Tosun in that starting line up, currently my friend.

Sig at 10, Bernard left and Richarlison up front.

baines, jags and williams all leaving for free at the end of the season.

klassen and rooney already gone, for half the price and on a free respectivley..
siggurdson looks like he will stay and leave on a free when his contract ends
walcott 30 this season and will leave on a free when his contract is up
james mccarthy either going to have to sell him for very little or offer him a new deal with improved wages
zouma and gomes heading back at the end of the season
gueye another one will be 30 next september not likley to be sold will probably leave on a free
scneiderlin only has another 2 seasons left will leave for free in 2021 or lose money on his value if sold
coleman 30 this year likely to retire here.

the summer was meant to get the wage bill down, it actually increased
the accounts likley to show losses when released
silva has 2 wins in his last 12 matches
usmanov looks like he isnt coming here
stadium on a knife edge.

these are worrying times,what are we going to do
@Steve0

What a baby

He cost 25m, you don't really need to do much to justify that price. The bloke was a bargain buy. Seems we kept the faith in Sigurdsson which is a reasonable thing to do.

For £25m I would be judging at the end of NEXT season and see where he is.

It’s not a great amount in today’s market but it’s the cost of a player we bought to replace Lukaku with, so in those terms it’s not something we throw around on potential.

We should be all over Ziyech from Ajax can’t believe he’s still there proper Champions League quality player

klas81929.webp

Don’t think scoring goals will be a problem to be honest, more getting the ball forward through an unimaginative central midfield and not conceding.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Bernard in central midfield in a 4-3-3 to be honest, obviously as the creative force, most offensive of the three and a bit of a license.

Pickford

Coleman, Keane, Mina, Dinge

McCarthy, Bernard Gueye,

Walcott, Tosun, Ricky.

1:

3 players on the right
2 players at Centre back

You've conveniently ignored all the players we already have capable of playing the right despite it not being their primary position and of course Walcott who is still a good enough player to include. I'd say 1 new winger.

Also at CB we should make no plans to have Holgate in the squad unless he begins to show something more than he has. He's been mostly poor this year imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back