Summer 2024 transfer thread.

Calling it once more, Jacob Greaves currently at Hull City makes the Championship team of the year.
If we lose Branthwaite and don't get this kid as a replacement, file under yet another Everton failure.
The sort of money i've heard talked about for him is a lot for a player of his age who has never played above the championship sometimes its like people think you can still pick these lads up for 5 mil but you can't.

The sort of money i've heard talked about for him is a lot for a player of his age who has never played above the championship sometimes its like people think you can still pick these lads up for 5 mil but you can't.
This is the problem we have

Excluding transfers from players who had already played in the PL

Wharton - £21m
Gyokores - £21m
Hamer - £17m
Scott - £23m
Piroe £14m
Omobamidale £14m
Akpom £12m
Rogers £9m (Boro paid literally £2m for him 6 months prior)
Ross Stewart £9m

Anyone that will cost a fee below that will need time, or generally probably not be able to make the step up and that's something we never really have!

You would probably get better value from sounding out someone like McAtee & Callum Doyle at Man City, or the likes of Bashir Humphries at Chelsea

You're correct but as someone who's convinced Branthwaite will be sold, I think we would be better investing in a promising player rather than a superannuated player like Maguire.

This is the problem we have

Excluding transfers from players who had already played in the PL

Wharton - £21m
Gyokores - £21m
Hamer - £17m
Scott - £23m
Piroe £14m
Omobamidale £14m
Akpom £12m
Rogers £9m (Boro paid literally £2m for him 6 months prior)
Ross Stewart £9m

Anyone that will cost a fee below that will need time, or generally probably not be able to make the step up and that's something we never really have!

You would probably get better value from sounding out someone like McAtee & Callum Doyle at Man City, or the likes of Bashir Humphries at Chelsea
Yes I agree and I also think people tend to make out these deals are a lot less risky than they are people make out like the resale value is a given but we've got our own examples of similar signings not working over the last few years. I don't mean we shouldn't do it but its not as simple as people make out.

Looking at the team who played against Forest, half of them (JB, Gueye, Gomes, Harrison, Young) may be gone in the Summer along with Onana. Realistically, JB, Onana and Maupay may bring in £120-140 million I guess. A large chunk of that will be needed to keep us on the right side of FFP. Could be an interesting summer......

Yes I agree and I also think people tend to make out these deals are a lot less risky than they are people make out like the resale value is a given but we've got our own examples of similar signings not working over the last few years. I don't mean we shouldn't do it but its not as simple as people make out.
Alot of the moves you mention tend to blend into bottom half PL squad player, and after a couple of years people forget the outlay

Keane Lewis Potter
Adam Armstrong
Che Adams
Sam Surridge
Nathan Collins
Jamal Lowe
Max Aarons
Antoine Semenyo
Lewis O'Brien
Djed Spence
Harry Soutter
Flynn Downes
Emmanuel Dennis

I've had a slow day at work today (working from home) so I've had a look at the current Everton squad and what I'd potentially do if I was in charge (luckily for the club and it's fans I'm not in charge).

Sales:
Branthwaite....... £80m (£15k a week)
Onana................. £40m (£100k a week)
Calvert-Lewin... £20m (£100k a week)
Maupay.............. £5m (£50k a week)
Holgate.............. £5m (70k a week)
That gives us an income from sales of £150m and takes £17.4m a year from the wage bill (according to spotrac.com)

Released/Loan End:
Young....... £40k a week
Dele.......... £100k a week
Gomes..... £112k a week
Coleman. £55k a week
Lonergan £7.5k a week
Danjuma. £52.5k a week
Harrison.. £90k a week
That gives us £23.8m a year released from the wage bill (again from spotrac.com)

So that's a total of £150m from sales and £41m a year saved in wages which is roughly half the wage bill.

So replacing like for like we need:
4 x midfielders
2 x forwards
2 x wingers
2 x central defenders
1 x right back
1 x goalkeeper

Obviously it would mean a much busier transfer window than Everton are used to but we've been saying for years we need a complete reset and to ship out the deadwood.

None of the above suggests who we should potentially bring in and how much of the income would be available to be spent. I'm not qualified to comment on either of those points but with our current financial position we'd need to be looking at low cost players under £10m and up to £50k a week wages. I'd love to see the club stop taking risks on big money players like Dele and Beto that haven't really worked out. I'd rather see us risk younger players from lower divisions. The bar has been set extremely low by the current squad over the last few years. We just need a squad of players that can get us 38+ points a season for the next 2 or 3 years while we get to the new stadium with new owners, higher revenue, lower costs and more financial stability. Once we've got that we can look to improve the squad again and build for the future.

I've had a slow day at work today (working from home) so I've had a look at the current Everton squad and what I'd potentially do if I was in charge (luckily for the club and it's fans I'm not in charge).

Sales:
That gives us an income from sales of £150m and takes £17.4m a year from the wage bill (according to spotrac.com)

Released/Loan End:
Young....... £40k a week
Gomes..... £112k a week
Coleman. £55k a week
Lonergan £7.5k a week
Danjuma. £52.5k a week
Harrison.. £90k a week
That gives us £23.8m a year released from the wage bill (again from spotrac.com)

So that's a total of £150m from sales and £41m a year saved in wages which is roughly half the wage bill.

4 x midfielders
2 x forwards
2 x wingers
2 x central defenders
1 x right back
1 x goalkeeper

Obviously it would mean a much busier transfer window than Everton are used to but we've been saying for years we need a complete reset and to ship out the deadwood.

None of the above suggests who we should potentially bring in and how much of the income would be available to be spent. I'm not qualified to comment on either of those points but with our current financial position we'd need to be looking at low cost players under £10m and up to £50k a week wages. I'd love to see the club stop taking risks on big money players like Dele and Beto that haven't really worked out. I'd rather see us risk younger players from lower divisions. The bar has been set extremely low by the current squad over the last few years. We just need a squad of players that can get us 38+ points a season for the next 2 or 3 years while we get to the new stadium with new owners, higher revenue, lower costs and more financial stability. Once we've got that we can look to improve the squad again and build for the future.
So you REALLY think we will sell 5 players, release 7 players and buy/loan 12 players? In 1 window?

200.gif

Sales:

Released/Loan End:
Young....... £40k a week
Gomes..... £112k a week
Coleman. £55k a week
Lonergan £7.5k a week
Danjuma. £52.5k a week
Harrison.. £90k a week

4 x midfielders
2 x forwards
2 x wingers
2 x central defenders
1 x right back
1 x goalkeeper

Got to the end of the released list, saw Keane was not mentioned on either jettison list.

F-