Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I am aware mate. Think anyway it would have been one or other other in any scenario and we clearly wanted keane.

Yes I think so too. It looks like we are going to have a real push for VVD and it's hard to argue VVD is not a cut above Gibson currently. That being said Gibson is younger and I think Koeman could mould Gibson, Keane and Pickford into Englands back 3, something akin to Jagielka/Lescott in their prime.

I must admit I haven't seen much of either but from what I could make out Burnley were quite attack minded while Boro were ultra defensive.

Isn't it normal for a defender to be stretched at times in an attacking team no matter how good they are?

And on the other side of the coin isn't it possible for a limited defender to look really good in a well organised defensive set up?

Not saying Gibson's poor or that Keane is boss. Just that in the same way people often talk about strikers and teams setting up to maximise their attributes it also happens with defenders.

I repeat, haven't seen much of either. Just putting it out there.
Could be right mate. Very much possible Gibson was better having 6 players around him rather than individually being great. As @Nymzee said above, I wouldn't say no to having both of them form a partnership here but I think there is little chance of that now.

Yes I think so too. It looks like we are going to have a real push for VVD and it's hard to argue VVD is not a cut above Gibson currently. That being said Gibson is younger and I think Koeman could mould Gibson, Keane and Pickford into Englands back 3, something akin to Jagielka/Lescott in their prime.
I just don't think I would be happy with the club paying 60 million on him. He may be good and he may improve us sure. But even in this crazy market, 60 million? I am sure hypothetically we could sign better for less

I just don't think I would be happy with the club paying 60 million on him. He may be good and he may improve us sure. But even in this crazy market, 60 million? I am sure hypothetically we could sign better for less
I don't think we could get better for less, he's a very good player. Koulibaly would be the other centre back we would probably go for and he would cost similar.

Yes I understand that completely. With transfer I try to look beyond just how good a lad is. I think VVD was probably the best CB in the league last season. However you have to ask, how quickly will he settle? How will he adapt to the manager? How much experience has he had of the league? Is he of he right age to adapt to new surroundings? I think all those boxes are ticked whereas say a lad like Koulibaly who may be of similar ability only ticks some of them. We are paying for that luxury.

We have just received 90 million for Lukaku. And alongside that will have sorted a forward line out for 25 if we get Giroud and Rooney alongside Sandro. So we have an abundance of cash to spend. If we get VVD there is every chance we have the potential to have the best defensive record in the league.

Glad Rom saga is done thanks for some good memories but time to move on its perfect time for Ross to make a commitment to us if not get gone

Us demanding and getting the 75m all up front would suggest we have the intention of spending some serious money still - having it paid that way gives us so much more options now.

Given its highly unusual to put that demand in it'd suggest we have major plans and needed it.

Don't care if it's £60m or £6m VVD is a worthy purchase. And none of this "don't want too many new players at the back" nonsense it makes no difference.
I'm not big on VVD, jury's still out after his injury and I am not convinced that he's all that but I concur with the theory of it making no difference at all if we have a complete new back 5 whoever comes in won't be a rookie will they, nor will we be playing 65 passes across the back line to make an angle for Ross to get it 65 yards out with his back to goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back