Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Rooney is going to have much bigger impact than most people expect.

He is trying to take the pressure from himself in any interview I have seen , I think he is trying to load it onto himself. He likes being the main man and wants that again.
I expect that in the new season the comments will be about his speed and fitness rather than the quality of his football..which has never been in question.

Later in the season I can see SKY really focusing on the Lukaku/Rooney swaps and looking at who got the best deal. I don't believe Utd ever considered that Rooney may be a bigger success than Lukaku, but I certainly would not dismiss the idea.

I agree, for me the moment came when I saw the shape he's gotten himself into, and part if me suspects Koeman had laid down a challenge going into the summer of "show me your commitment" and not has he done that.

Rooney always played his best when on the edge. Back here he will be again, don't underestimate the drive of the lad and the will to prove everyone doubting him wrong.

Hey @Dutch Toffee has Jetro Willems ever lived up to his potential? Do you think he could be good enough to push Baines for the starting spot if the staff don't think Antonee Robinson is ready?
Not really an expert on him tbh, seems that he hasn't really pushed on as expected. Looks like he's on his wayout at PSV however, with our red neighbours named as one possible destination

I don't think De Ligt would be interested in joining up with Unsy's U23 squad. Make no mistake, he would get utterly destroyed in the Premiership.

Haha yeah!

I'm just saying that those 3 will go further in their careers than Klaassen...in my opinion.

De Ligt is someone we could be signing now and loaning back to Ajax for 2 seasons.

Haha yeah!

I'm just saying that those 3 will go further in their careers than Klaassen...in my opinion.

De Ligt is someone we could be signing now and loaning back to Ajax for 2 seasons.
Oh granted, he certainly looks a talent. Lots of things can happen during his future development though. Also agree that Klaassen probably never will be really world class. As for the present time, he is by far the best signing we could make from Ajax. Sanchez, de Ligt and likely even Dolberg would be signings for the future

Oh granted, he certainly looks a talent. Lots of things can happen during his future development though. Also agree that Klaassen probably never will be really world class. As for the present time, he is by far the best signing we could make from Ajax. Sanchez, de Ligt and likely even Dolberg would be signings for the future

Personally i think Sanchez would walk into our side and Dolberg would be rotating in before making the centre forward position his own.

Haha yeah!

But Klaassen has already gone further than them, they are still at Ajax while Davy is at Everton.

Klaassen also out performed every single name on your list at Ajax last season and the 4 seasons before that, but hey, hes 24, he cant possibly be any good, everybody knows that footballers peak at 17.

He may well have been doing so for weeks, but what tickled me was that people were popping their heads up at the exact time when he was bulletproof. Couldn't resist.

I like the idea and execution of Onyekuru signing and going off to Anderlecht for a season, Why not do the same with other high profile lads like Sessegnon for example? Dolberg I think he'd get a lot of value on the pitch with higher calibre forwards and defences than in Holland and would try and bring him and Dembele in now...watch them grow over the next 2 seasons and hopefully become a lethal forward line for us along with Sandro and possibly DCL/Lookman.

For me, we should be after those England u20s we bid for in Jan for the u23s (i appreciate weve got bowler for money) and keep adding the best into that category to be fine tuned by unsworth.

Then go for the future next generation superstars like Dolberg etc....we cant compete otherwise.
The reason I specified Dolberg for a loan back, is both he and Ajax are on record as saying they want to continue his development there for another year. Hopefully he'll be playing champions league so it won't all be sub standard defences he'd be up against. I just see his stock, and therefore his value, at least doubling over the next 12 months. so what may cost us £30/35m now, could easily be £70/80m next year. Plus we probably have good relationships with Ajax following the Klaassen deal, so let's take advantage of that. He looks the real deal to me but then they said that about Bendtner too:)

I take what you say about the U20 lads we were after and in the ideal world I would agree with you. But I think we need to be careful with the youth players we bring on mate, for two reasons. Firstly, we need to make sure that we don't bring in too many than we can cope with, and also ensure that there is an avenue for the best players from our academy to develop. Otherwise that would have an effect on the long term attractiveness of our academy. The likes of Liverpool started doing this under, I think it was Rafael, which is why we have so many great local kids coming through our academy now. The second issue is that we have a very good reputation with lower clubs for being fair regarding youth players. We can't risk that by being over aggressive towards them if they have somebody we want and they don't want to sell. The likes of Liverpool (again), City and Chelsea have bad reputations in this regard and Liverpool are currently banned from signing youth players if I'm not mistaken.

I would still move the following on. Jagielka and Mori replace them with a left footed centre Back aged 24-28 to partner Keane. Barry and McCarthy and replace them with a player comfortable in the number 8 role. Barkley and replace him with a player who can play as a ''10'' or a winger and also being in a player who can play on the opposite wing. Niasse out and replace with a proper striker. Garbutt out either permanent or loan bring a left back to compete with Baines. Being in a right back who can provide back up to Kenny on a one year contract. Robles out and replace with someone who can compete with Pickford but accepts initially they will be back up. Hopefully McGeady moves to Sunderland and we can find a club for Rodriguez either on loan or permanent.

I agree to a point, but when you look at our team from last season, if I'm honest 7th was the best we could hope for with the team and squad we had. Although not 'wow signings' we have significantly upgraded our starting team and squad. Yes we could have instead spent 100m on buying 2 x 50m players. Would those 2 players of that ilk, improved the team more than the players we have bought. Also would these higher level of player even want to come to the club in its present state? I doubt it. But next year they might!
The squad was awful. We had no other choice but to do what we did plus I doubt we can attract 50m pound players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back