Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? I'm pretty sure city weren't the only side interested in him when he left athletico.
It's highly unlikely but we'd be daft not to sound him out and see if there was any interest. We don't have to go shouting from the rooftops about bidding etc like we did last summer and make a show of ourselves.

Because he just wouldn't...

I'm not interested in net spend as a measure of success, but am curious about our spending position because it might provide insight as to what we can reasonable do for the remainder of the window. If you accept we are about even now and will still sell McCarthy, Barkley, Niasse and possibly Robles then it should mean that we have 60 plus the original "war chest" to spend. I think that had to be ~40m (not that we will spend it, just that we could). Accepting that, we have ~100m that can yet be spent. What could that bring?

Gylfi - 45m: it may be too much, but the manager wants him and he is quality

Walcott - 25m: i know some don't like him, and his injury history is a bit concerning, but he adds needed pace, experience and goal scoring. We have Onyejuru and Lookman for the future - need to sign someone for now.

Martins Indi - 10m: not a world beater, but a proven league player who can also fill in at LB

Striker - 20-25m: thinking a target man here to offset Sandro. Giroud would be great, but there are others

All players in the 25-28 age bracket ideal. IMO this group needs to be contributors now, not players for the future.

£45m and £25 on yet
More midfielders and only £25m on a striker. Striker should be priority whatever the cost. and Walcott are not really needed but if Ross goes then they maybe so. We need an out and out goal scorer to compliment all the other options.

...the Birmingham Mail says Harry Redknapp is interested in taking Aaron Lennon to Birmingham City on loan. Apparently Lennon has looked very sharp in training since he returned from illness.

Things we still need after spending about £100m, nearly £150m if you take Sigurdsson as done:

- a striker to hold the ball up and get in the box
- someone who can pass a football
- literally any pace at all
- a left back

That's the bare minimum to even think about challenging for CL really. Come through for me Mosh. I'm scared.

£45m and £25 on yet
More midfielders and only £25m on a striker. Striker should be priority whatever the cost. and Walcott are not really needed but if Ross goes then they maybe so. We need an out and out goal scorer to compliment all the other options.

Part of that is that i believe Ronnie plans to use Sandro up top. People clamor for the likes of Dembele when we already have a better striker that age on the squad. Just because he was a value doesn't mean he isn't good. Gave him #9 for a reason. If that is remotely true then you are looking for a complimental player more than a galactico. Giroud (rated at 20-25m) or Willian Jose would work.

Given all the chatter Gylfi seems to be possible - maybe even likely, and we need the pace that Walcott can offer. Yes, sadly I think Ross is gone (otherwise he would have signed by now).

Things we still need after spending about £100m, nearly £150m if you take Sigurdsson as done:

- a striker to hold the ball up and get in the box
- someone who can pass a football
- literally any pace at all
- a left back

That's the bare minimum to even think about challenging for CL really. Come through for me Mosh. I'm scared.
A right back is more important than any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back