Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you like Pienaar as a player? I'm gonna say no because he was very similar to Bernard. Gary Neville to this day says Baines and Pienaar made his mind up that he needed to retire. Digne and Bernard have the ability to be just as good

The amount of goals Pienaars brain set up but not his boot cos he wasn't the last pass. class act.

I don't think anyone has fully committed to analytics in football yet. Partially because the numbers arent the level needed but also partially due to the attitude that you and others are showing that this sort of thing can't work in football.
Yes lad it’s my fault this stuff hasn’t been implemented.

You genuinely have zero understanding of how football works and what it means to people who watch it. I get you’re from a different background with a different sporting culture but it’s a little offensive you trying to act high and mighty and accusing people who’s allegiance to the club goes back generations of not getting it.

Playing in the CL and playing for your country. Those things alone aren't pre-requisites for excellence because there are literally thousands that fall into that bracket. Ever heard of Jean-Pierre Nsame? No, neither had I. He's just won back to back titles, plays for his country and plays in the Champions League.

Very political of you to selectively use certain words to fit your argument, though.

I said that Barnes has "consistently proven himself....... (albeit at an inferior level)". You left that last bit out to suit your purpose, but that's the key bit. You can only beat who is in front of you. You can only impress against the opposition you're put against, Barnes has done just that last season. Bernard has not impressed (at least, he hasn't impressed me).

He was free and he could be a decent squad player. But he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI of any team with top 6 ambitions. He wouldn't get in any other team either in the top six or just outside of it. Also, he hasn't been anywhere near a Brazil side for 5 years. That's my assertion, if you disagree that's fine.

I'd rather have Harvey Barnes. Vault me.

Adding 'at an inferior level' isn't key. His performances in the championship are completely and utterly irrelevant. As is his time in the Leicester development squad or his time winning the U18 Toulon.

You like Barnes, which is your right, but you're peddling an alternative, faux-stats argument to try and fit an agenda you already have.

And no-one needs to vault you. It's utter lunacy because we are having a conversation based on their careers thus far. If Barnes has a great season and Bernard doesn't, it doesn't change where we are / were right now. And that's with one full international, CL pedigree player and...well...Harvey Barnes.

Off Topic
There is no help for you stat lovers, the lad is quality, enjoy watching football through spreadsheets, I shall judge him by watching him with my eyes and laughing at right backs who get sent the shop by our little Brazilian with magic in his boots
The stats back up what I personally see. My view is he beats players and rarely takes advantage and honestly he beats them far less than people make out. He has great moments of skill but most of them are 40 yards from goal. He's entertaining for a while and then you start to realize nothing is really happening.

People say I don't like football if I don't like Bernard but what can I say I just don't love little stepovers and back heels in midfield that much.

Like someone said earlier, I too thought this was the Transfer thread, not the Bernard one. I strongly suggest that those still banging on him do so in his thread, not this one which is one of the most scanned ones this time of year.

Folk pop in to get transfer news, not Wiki stats on Bernard. Off Topic warnings will start, so take heed please.
Apologies will stop replying.

So ST, RB, RW and CB (potential Gueye replacement) gonna be a busy few weeks isn't it

Did you like Pienaar as a player? I'm gonna say no because he was very similar to Bernard. Gary Neville to this day says Baines and Pienaar made his mind up that he needed to retire. Digne and Bernard have the ability to be just as good

Again, he was alright. He's not similar to Bernard though because he actually did stuff. Pienaar at 32 put up the same sort of numbers as Bernard did this season, in a third fewer games too. At his peak, Peanut used to create and score (again, maybe not as much as he should but that's where the similarities begin and end).

Over 4 seasons, he averaged a goal or an assist with us every 223 minutes. Bernard averages a goal or an assist every 532 minutes.

He's not even half as good as Pienaar on current showings.

Yes lad it’s my fault this stuff hasn’t been implemented.

You genuinely have zero understanding of how football works and what it means to people who watch it. I get you’re from a different background with a different sporting culture but it’s a little offensive you trying to act high and mighty and accusing people who’s allegiance to the club goes back generations of not getting it.
I'm not saying it's your fault I'm saying that your attitude is not that uncommon when people try to do something different. It happens in every single sport.

And while you feel like I'm accusing you of not getting it I'm also regularly told I don't understand the sport because I differ in my viewpoint on a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back