Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People act like turning 30 makes him crocked. The fact that it’s Manchester United and PSG that are after him tells you everything you need to know. If there was a readily available better replacement, then United and PSG would just go for them instead.

This doesn't happen.

Clubs like this don't need to take punts on prospects or possibilities. They have the financial clout to incentivize the second tier sides into selling their better, complete and already developed players too them.

The idea that Gana cant be replaced for less than 50-60 million is absurd, because if that was true, someone would pay 50-60 million for him.

There are a dozen DMs that will be transferred for 10 million this window, that by next summer will be worth the exact same as Gana.

Just disagree with this. Gana isn't a bad player, but he is limited. He's world class at winning the ball back, but he's at best average with the ball. There's an argument to say that if we could get someone who's 75% as good as Gana at winning the ball back, but good with the ball, we might be better for it.

There's also the aspect that I think we need to start appreciating that our finances aren't infinite - if we can make a big profit on a 30 year old player, we should do it and invest that in a younger player who will be here longer. Otherwise it's dead money.

And lastly, possibly more of a stretch, I think generally we need to start getting less attached to individual players. If we trust that we have the right DoF and the right recruitment strategy in place, players will come and go and we will have to trust that when we sell someone, we do it because we are confident we can replace them.

I like Gana a lot, but to say that selling him would mean there's been no change at board level is nonsensical to me - if anything it would indicate that we are finally trying to be clever about buying and selling players rather than letting short term-ism dominate our thinking.

He had the 2nd most key contributions to goals last season according to telegraph ff. that’s the player who either directly assisted in a goal or gave the ball to the player that did. Was ahead of Richarlison, Bernard, digne, Gomes etc and only behind sig.

Considering his main job is to win the ball and he does that better than pretty much anyone in the league then I think that shows quite a decent contribution.

The idea that Gana cant be replaced for less than 50-60 million is absurd, because if that was true, someone would pay 50-60 million for him.

There are a dozen DMs that will be transferred for 10 million this window, that by next summer will be worth the exact same as Gana.

Real Madrid picked up Casemiro for a low fee. How much did Leicester pay for Kante? It’s a lazy argument that you have to pay huge fees for class players. It might be harder but there’s good players out there for a bargain.

I think we struck a deal with Gueye to let him leave in the summer if he stayed with us in Jan personally.

He had the 2nd most key contributions to goals last season according to telegraph ff. that’s the player who either directly assisted in a goal or gave the ball to the player that did. Was ahead of Richarlison, Bernard, digne, Gomes etc and only behind sig.

Considering his main job is to win the ball and he does that better than pretty much anyone in the league then I think that shows quite a decent contribution.

I don't doubt his ability to win the ball back, there's only Kante and Ndidi who are in his league when it comes to that part of the game.

There's plenty of stats knocking about with regard to his quality on the ball which show he is, at best, average in this area.

30mil for Gana is a poor deal for us, he was and still is one of our best players; who has a good few seasons left of performing to the highest level. To replace him would cost double that and that would be on a player that we would then be gambling on to hope he fit into the team. Why sell a player that consistently performs to the highest level just because he is 30?
But if you pay double for say a Ndombele ok he’s unlikely to come to Everton, my point is you have 10 years of him and only 2yrs of Gana. And you will always have a chance of doubling your money on Ndombele in 4/5yrs.
Every player you buy is a gamble. And the rumour is we could get Gomes fir 20mil and there is a very good chance we could easily double are money on him a few years down the line.

And I’m not saying we should buy, just to sell for a profit after a few years, but selling Gana for big money now would be a good deal for us imo.

Just disagree with this. Gana isn't a bad player, but he is limited. He's world class at winning the ball back, but he's at best average with the ball. There's an argument to say that if we could get someone who's 75% as good as Gana at winning the ball back, but good with the ball, we might be better for it.

There's also the aspect that I think we need to start appreciating that our finances aren't infinite - if we can make a big profit on a 30 year old player, we should do it and invest that in a younger player who will be here longer. Otherwise it's dead money.

And lastly, possibly more of a stretch, I think generally we need to start getting less attached to individual players. If we trust that we have the right DoF and the right recruitment strategy in place, players will come and go and we will have to trust that when we sell someone, we do it because we are confident we can replace them.

I like Gana a lot, but to say that selling him would mean there's been no change at board level is nonsensical to me - if anything it would indicate that we are finally trying to be clever about buying and selling players rather than letting short term-ism dominate our thinking.

The likelihood of Gueye’s replacement being better than Gueye is slim; that’s why the elite clubs are targeting Gueye and not his eventual replacement at Everton.

We’ve heard all of these arguments in the past. They were last made about Lukaku, whose sale sent us back years and we still haven’t come anywhere close to finding an adequate replacement. They were also made about Lescott and Stones etc etc, and we got nowhere through selling them to our rivals.

I’m the last person to get overly attached with players, but it simply doesn’t make sense to needlessly sell Gueye this summer, not if you aim to do something more than finish 8th next season.

This doesn't happen.

Clubs like this don't need to take punts on prospects or possibilities. They have the financial clout to incentivize the second tier sides into selling their better, complete and already developed players too them.

And who is it working for? Us or them?

Real Madrid picked up Casemiro for a low fee. How much did Leicester pay for Kante? It’s a lazy argument that you have to pay huge fees for class players. It might be harder but there’s good players out there for a bargain.

I think we struck a deal with Gueye to let him leave in the summer if he stayed with us in Jan personally.

Indeedy - Leicester also did it with n’didi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back