Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, yes. I do understand the premise of by low, sell high. Keeping with that particular analogy, Japanese banks are particularly cheap at the moment, especially relative to say US tech stocks. However I wouldn’t necessarily want to buy a Japanese bank over, say Apple. The reason why they are cheap is due to the additional risk premium associated with them (ie they aren’t particularly profitable given interest rates in Japan, are cyclical within a highly cyclical market that is exposed almost entirely to the global economy). So whilst more expensive, Apple would be a more attractive option.

Same applies to this case. Malcom is cheaper because he is untested. Plus he’s recently struggled following a big money move. Which increases the risk premium further.

As I said, I would want Malcom too because I think he’s worth the risk (unlike Japanese banks!) but I can understand why Zaha is valued the way he is. He represents less of a risk and is about to hit his prime after a decent run of seasons.

I think that buying cheap kids and developing them is a great working practice. But it should allow you to spend money on players that can genuinely impact the team. And Zaha would do that immediately so I can see the thought process (despite what my preference is).

You view Zaha as a non-cyclical consumer staple, non-cyclical for the reason being that he has prem league experience over the past couple of years, stable, you know what you are getting, combine him with over good players to bring the risk down further, mean variance optimized

The only scenario I would be ok with in signing Zaha is if we would be able to offload Bolasie and Macca at the same time, but not spend 70 million on him, good god no.

Wasn’t it 12months to the day that we all freaked out about wasting £50mill on Richarlison? 12 months later he was top goal scorer, a starter for Brazil and Copa America winner!! So there is clearly a lesson there..

Only sign BRAZILIANS innit

Is the money even there for Zaha if we wanted to sign him?

I think the club would look at it as a investment as opposed to anything, 80 mill (reported) over five years, two years off his peak, 5 year deal. If you can throw a Bolaise and Jamsey in there to mitigate it all the better, the jungle drums are beating on it.

Still think he wont come here though, if he does its a coup.

You view Zaha as a non-cyclical consumer staple, non-cyclical for the reason being that he has prem league experience over the past couple of years, stable, you know what you are getting, combine him with over good players to bring the risk down further, mean variance optimized
My only problem is that from a portfolio construction perspective, is he really going to offer diversification considering we already hold Bernard, richarlison and sigurdsson?

Is Zaha going to be our ‘ruined the transfer window’ moment?

Or is it just a smoke screen to keep others of the scent of deals we really doing?

Going to be an interesting couple of weeks this

My only problem is that from a portfolio construction perspective, is he really going to offer diversification considering we already hold Bernard, richarlison and sigurdsson?

I think we would forget about playing with an out and out striker and we would operate with a front three of wingers/attacking midfielders, a bit like what mordor do.

Wed prob bring Welbeck in for the just in cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back