Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It probably does happen. If a club want to sell and the player refuses as the offers less, I bet the current club will make deals with them to cover the players potential loss of earnings as it will save them money in the long run instead of the player just running down their contract.

The other way would be they accept less transfer fee so that the buying club can afford more in wages etc.
Without question it happens.

My point is that if United sold Maguire to West Ham for example, they do not have to pay him the remaining wages.

It will be up to HMs agent to get the best deal he can for his client from West Ham.

Now lets say West Ham offer him 160k a week and he wants his 180k, he could go to United and say "Pay me the 20k a week or im gonna sit here and you dont get your transfer fee".

Served us much better than the unproven players.
We so rarely go for unproven players. Even with that in mind, our few good domestic based signings in the past 20 yrs had not been fully established in the premier league when bought. Stones, Baines, Cahill, Lescott, Gana, Jags, Lukaku etc. From the current crop Patterson, J Garner, Braithwaite certainly have promise to be better signings.

Now, in your head run yourself through the 'established' prem players list we've signed in recent years. Compare and contrast. People wanting a JB for Maguire deal are the same who convinced themselves we were better off with Williams than Stones.

Last edited:

My point is that if United sold Maguire to West Ham for example, they do not have to pay him the remaining wages.

It will be up to HMs agent to get the best deal he can for his client from West Ham.

Now lets say West Ham offer him 160k a week and he wants his 180k, he could go to United and say "Pay me the 20k a week or im gonna sit here and you dont get your transfer fee".
The main part of football that's turning me off the game... Greed.. it's become acceptable/encouraged not to play and stay on bigger money than to move, play every game and have to take a pay cut.

I don’t understand why people are seriously advocating getting rid of branthwaite when in a couple of years time he could be worth 3 or 4 times what he is currently worth, and in his place they want a player who would cost 20m, is old enough that has zero sell on value, and will be on wages 5 times what branthwaite is on.

Everyone would then whinge we sign players who are too old and have no sell on value when we continue to then be a mess financially with mad wage bills.

If we are wanting a CB instead of Branthwaite, we need to be signing a 25/26 year old.

Then you see it is Dave who is bigging it up and it all makes sense.

I do see the logic in what you say here. But I can remember people thinking that Godfrey was a bargain at 20 million, and people getting irate when Godfrey wasn’t picked for England. We now can’t give Godfrey away if we tried.

Also, our situation has changed so much since we inevitably sold Stones. Our Premier League status is in jeopardy at a time that we are midway through building a new stadium that we are struggling to fund. Relegation would be an absolute disaster!

Let’s be honest, if he fulfils his potential this season he’s gone next season anyway.
Agreed, but,if he fulfills his potential here this season we will get far more for him than we could today, even allowing for the fact that he would only have one year on his contract. A player of his size and with his pace and age, would spark some auction next summer after a good season in the prem. It's a gamble of course, but, his wages are much lower than Maguire's, he is much quicker than Maguire and he can actually control a football and not panic when he finds himself in possession of it.

They absolutely do have to pay the difference.
If a club sells a player where the player didn't seek the move they have to make up the difference. If the player asks for a transfer, they don't.
Had this argument before, its basic contract law and is also in Fifa rules.
Screenshot_20230804_191124_Chrome.webp

They absolutely do have to pay the difference.
If a club sells a player where the player didn't seek the move they have to make up the difference. If the player asks for a transfer, they don't.
Had this argument before, its basic contract law and is also in Fifa rules.
View attachment 221126
No mate.

As I said, they likely sometimes make up the difference, but they 100% do not pay off the remaining wages owed.

…I think there has been evidence that might doubt Branthwaite loyalty to Everton @Zatara. He’s never been quoted as saying he’s determined to come back here, indeed I think he was open to a permanent move to PSV. I talk to one of his very close friends (an Evertonian by the way who has known him since being a kid) and never get the impression he thinks about anything but what’s best for him.

He thinks he’s very good, we think he’s probably right but I don’t believe he’s not set on Everton. If he comes here and plays then there’s a chance his mindset could fix on Everton but there’s just as much chance he sees it as an opportunity to step up.

This is not a definite but a calculated view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back