Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
18 goals in 31 PL matches. Step aside boys, leave this stuff to people who know a thing or two about football.
Clearly considering the fact Newcastle have an overall better team there aren't you pal 🤣. Let's look at how many goals Dom scored under Ancelotti - do we actually need a new striker?

The answer (in case you weren't paying attention) is yes, we need an new striker. And one who is going to play every, if not most, games. Wilson, as good as he is, is not the answer.

I remember this. To be fair that was true for the first 5 years but you can't keep burning money.

Isn't it something like 17 players have cost over £20 million have walked out the door for nothing? The first red flag to me was Bolasie at almost £30 million with no output (who cost Palace a few hundred grand).

Obviously we are paying the price now for the reckless spending with no strategy.
Yeah it’s absolutely staggering how many players we have bought that have either gone for free, or at a fraction of the price. mainly because 1) They weren’t good enough anyway 2) We paid well over transfer market value for them..as you say Bolasie at £30m and Siggurdson at £46m (that same season the rs bought Salah for £36m) 3) becuse we paid over market value their salaries were above market value and 4) minimal transfer income

Nah mate, you don’t take a risk on a 27 year old that has played 245 games and had 1 good season

He’s utter pony
Well you could argue that an in form 27 year old at a reasonable price is exactly what we will have to take a risk on. Any idea who we could afford...and who will come to Everton...that might do better?

Yeah it’s absolutely staggering how many players we have bought that have either gone for free, or at a fraction of the price. mainly because 1) They weren’t good enough anyway 2) We paid well over transfer market value for them..as you say Bolasie at £30m and Siggurdson at £46m (that same season the rs bought Salah for £36m) 3) becuse we paid over market value their salaries were above market value and 4) minimal transfer income

Cenk Tosun and Walcott is another £50 million that walked out the door for nothing that didn't improve the team either. Both players were also on > £100k a week as well.

Without the fans we would be in the Championship now.

We are going into our third summer it looks like with £0 investment in the team. I pray there is some let off after 1st of July in terms of spend.

We're talking about strikers in the Championship with reasonable goal tallies, but Neal Maupay had excellent goals stats, and
a lot of them were in the Premier League. Did anyone look at the way Brentford and Brighton got the ball to him and are we
not set up in the same way?
That’s why targeting players from teams that have a similar style of play is vital. Its rare a striker for instance will be suitable for a number of different styles e.g. a route one‘ team, or playing with wingers or through the lines etc.

For me, targets should be assessed not only on their ability / performance / physical and mental attributes / potential / age but also how the style of play the team they play in compares to ours. Using Maupay as a backup for DCL in a team that did not play a similar style like Brighton was never going to work even if Maupay had been competent (which he isn’t)

Cenk Tosun and Walcott is another £50 million that walked out the door for nothing that didn't improve the team either. Both players were also on > £100k a week as well.

Without the fans we would be in the Championship now.

We are going into our third summer it looks like with £0 investment in the team. I pray there is some let off after 1st of July in terms of spend.
Then there’s the likes of Morgan Schneiderlin who we bought for £23m, and three years later went for just under £3m. It appears to be a never ending list of transfer misfires

I can’t help but recall when Moshiri told everyone at his first AGM that under him we would have no money worries. What an absolute balloon. No wonder the Arsenal board wouldn’t let him and Usmanov buy the club which shows how bad they thought they would be when the only other interested party was Stan Kroenke
He maxed out the credit card on mostly over inflated dross on massive wages and paying off failing managers that he appointed we need him out

I remember this. To be fair that was true for the first 5 years but you can't keep burning money.

Isn't it something like 17 players have cost over £20 million have walked out the door for nothing? The first red flag to me was Bolasie at almost £30 million with no output (who cost Palace a few hundred grand).

Obviously we are paying the price now for the reckless spending with no strategy.

Off the top of my head
Tuson 27m
Walcott 20m
Bolasie 27m
Mina 27m
Siggy 45m
Morgan 20m ( recouped 2m)
Williams 11m
Allan 20m
Delph 8m
Niasse 13.5m

218m spent and 2m recouped

And looks like

Gbamin 20m
Doucoure 20m
Gomes 20m
Iwobi 34m

They all look like they will be here until their contracts expire and they cost
94m which looks like it’s getting nothing recouped on

Add in golden handshakes for

Bobby
Koeman
Big sam
Frank
Rafael
Silva and co and you get an idea of just how much money has been burnt through

I have not read any of the Esks articles in a while, but looking at the last two years reported accounts (if I am reading this correctly but I am happy to be corrected) we have an aggregate loss of £164m.

This FY (unreported) I am not sure how it is shaping up. Its obviously not just about transfers but we sold AG for £40m but also purchased a few players (not sure if we can account for their cost over a number of years or whether it needs to be reported in this year) but we have been poor in the league again so placing revenue will have been adversely affected.

I assume to try and get it into the aggregate £105m, we may still need to sell to generate a negative net spend which would likely be the biggest driver of making us P&S compliant?

Happy to be corrected if my rudimentary understanding is wring.
Tbh I’m completely lost with the financial stuff now- on paper replacing 18-19 with 22-23 is a huge improvement on FFP but there are more and more reports saying we are as skint as the previous summers. That might be cash flow though.

If we are up against it again I don’t understand how we were proposing to pay for the loans with obligation we were apparently offering though. It’s all very unclear and I suspect everyone is basically guessing the real position.

You really are delusional, Lukaku wouldn’t come back here, even on loan and neither would Richy, especially if Kane goes
Agree some people need to realign their expectations, we are not attractive, we are going to have to rebuild with free transfers, scouted players from smaller leagues and maybe the odd championship player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back