Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my reservation. Gyok, Simms and Cannon were all on broadly the same scoring pace in the championship and we wouldn't consider the two we already have to be nearly ready to be a starter. Know there's more to it than just scoring but 1 in 2ish in the Championship is no predictor of great things in the PL.

We need more than goals from a striker. Even if they’re fairly lowish scoring they’re still a huge impact. Look at Dom, hardly scored last two years but when he’s playing we’re 100x better. That’s why Gyokeres would be a good buy and why Simms is awful.

Rather than give Davies a new contract I’d rather we went for Han-Noah Massengo. Out of contract at Bristol City. They shipped him out on loan to Auxerre as he wouldn’t sign a new contract but he’s a very tidy player. He’s only 21 and a former France youth international. I saw him vs Preston around 18 months ago and he ran the game.

Bristol City did an Everton Lite about 10 years ago. It didnt work, obvs, so the club switched their focus to youth development. Alex Scott is the stand out they dug up, but it would be the same scouting/coaching team that would have worked with this lad. Never heard of him mind, but that says more about me than the player.

We need more than goals from a striker. Even if they’re fairly lowish scoring they’re still a huge impact. Look at Dom, hardly scored last two years but when he’s playing we’re 100x better. That’s why Gyokeres would be a good buy and why Simms is awful.
Yes. Gyokeres is no world beater but he's better than what we have at a price we may be able to afford

Mate of mine is a Coventry fan. I asked his opinion on us wanting Gyokeres:

"You and several others! He’s clearly leaving us this Summer but has been excellent - strong, pacy, good dribbler, goals and assists.

Was often manhandled through games by Championship defences, and the stronger and quicker teams were able to keep him quiet. So he could struggle to make the step up where every team’s defence is quicker and stronger.

Runs the channels well, hassles defenders, key part of our pressing game.

Seems Sporting Lisbon also interested - I think he’d have a better chance of success there tbh, but I’d love to be wrong and would be cautiously optimistic he’d do well with Everton if you can get the ball to him enough".

At 30m for Abraham there'd have been far more upside / less risk than Gyokeres at 15-20. I like what I've seen of Gyokeres but a guy who at 25 has never really played top division football has some concerns. Abraham as an English player who has already been around big clubs would've also had more room for a big fee incoming after 1 or 2 good seasons. We'll never know though.
As you say you never know as Toney and Watkins both similar examples of guys who excelled in the Championship and were 25 by the time they played in the top flight and have both proved themselves but there will be other players who flopped.

Personally think we should go for him and either one other striker or promote Cannon.

Jackson linked to chelsea for 30 million.
we might get him for slightly cheaper given its chelsea but it seems like a top striker for us is going to cost around the 30 mark.

I really want us to sign Le Fee as well or Alex Scott

Dream on the right is Marcus Edwards or Chukwueze but theyre probably too much so we will probably end up with Sarr
We won't be signing that sort of wide man

Dyche's wingers need to have the skillset of the modern wing back, hence Iwobi/McNeil being pretty much guaranteed starters out wide and Gray barely featuring

Think Gyokores fits the mould that Dyche would like more than others ive seen. Strong, tall-ish, pacey, knack for goal and links well.

Obviously big question is whether he can step up, but would feel he would fit well.

Jackson linked to chelsea for 30 million.
we might get him for slightly cheaper given its chelsea but it seems like a top striker for us is going to cost around the 30 mark.

I really want us to sign Le Fee as well or Alex Scott

Dream on the right is Marcus Edwards or Chukwueze but theyre probably too much so we will probably end up with Sarr

Rather than give Davies a new contract I’d rather we went for Han-Noah Massengo. Out of contract at Bristol City. They shipped him out on loan to Auxerre as he wouldn’t sign a new contract but he’s a very tidy player. He’s only 21 and a former France youth international. I saw him vs Preston around 18 months ago and he ran the game.

Bristol City did an Everton Lite about 10 years ago. It didnt work, obvs, so the club switched their focus to youth development. Alex Scott is the stand out they dug up, but it would be the same scouting/coaching team that would have worked with this lad. Never heard of him mind, but that says more about me than the player.

It would make alot of sense to sign both Alex Scott and Massengo -- not that ive seen anything of them aside from youtube :)

Just based upon their profiles, we'd then have the 2 of them + Onana/Garner for the long term -- effectively completing our midfield.

Even though some may say its not a priority, every position is and we need a starter + competition.

Think Gyokores fits the mould that Dyche would like more than others ive seen. Strong, tall-ish, pacey, knack for goal and links well.

Obviously big question is whether he can step up, but would feel he would fit well.

….I’m not sure he’s pacey. He’s not slow but he’s not going to outrun defenders with speed.

I watched him a fair bit & although I like his competitiveness, I wouldn’t be parting with more than £10m for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back