Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
And going the other way, Arsenal signing a 29 year old Arteta worked out rather nicely for them too
Oh yeah there are plenty of examples.

Good players are good players regardless of age. I have never been bothered about a players age as long as whatever we pay for them is deemed as value for money, we are not getting a lot of that currently whilst paying 30m or so for average squad men like we have for years.

A 30 year old Doucoure kind of saved us.

27 is not old in football, it's a player's prime.

I get we need young assets with resale value, but just as you can't have a team full of 30 year olds you also can't have a team full of 20 year olds.

I don't even know who this player is but all I know that we desperately need first 11 quality players at CF, CB and LB minimum, and if we can find players of good enough quality for low enough fees then I don't care about their age because we need improving now. The squad has plenty of young players, Onana, Garner, Patterson, Mykolenko, McNeil, Branthwaite, Cannon...
Sure but you buy the 27 year old and sign a 4 year deal so that ends and he's not in his prime anymore so you go replace him with another 27 year old and so on. You do this for a decade without stocking the team with guys who can give you more than a handful of years or a fee in return when he leaves which leaves you with no money to buy anyone else or depth in the squad.

If the idea is we'll be safe in 2025 with these signings I'd suggest the guy you'd have to turn around and start replacing in 2025 wouldn't be a good idea.

This is why age is everything. When you buy younger players you increase the odds that they won't need to be replaced in the next 3 to 5 years and on the occasion that they don't need replacing you can then build depth. Once we build some depth of talent we can actually remove ourselves from this year to year survival. 27 year old mediocre players aren't saving us.

Like a broken record you.

Please bore off. If not, could you remind me of the time zone you are in so I can log back in once you are asleep.

Oh yeah there are plenty of examples.

Good players are good players regardless of age. I have never been bothered about a players age as long as whatever we pay for them is deemed as value for money, we are not getting a lot of that currently whilst paying 30m or so for average squad men like we have for years.
We need balance, don't we? The right older signing can bring more than just his work on the pitch to the club. But I'd be worried if the average age of the squad was in the mid 20s range

Signing older players is not a problem... signing older players only, is a problem.

Last summer we signed Tarkowski and Gana , both over 30.
Maupay was also signed at a good age... unfortunately that has not worked but the age profile was sound.

However, we also signed Onana, McNeill and Garner and this balanced our business nicely.

I think this is a sensible policy and have no problem in repeating it going forward.

Like what I’ve seen of him, looks like he could play up front or just behind more of an outright 9?

Tough to get though but the contract situation might help. Need to keep an eye on AFCON given the others we are already losing. Him and DCL couldn’t be the only two options, but get him AND one more outright 9 and you have a nice spreads of options.
DCL with McNeil's feet.

Signing older players is not a problem... signing older players only, is a problem.

Last summer we signed Tarkowski and Gana , both over 30.
Maupay was also signed at a good age... unfortunately that has not worked but the age profile was sound.

However, we also signed Onana, McNeill and Garner and this balanced our business nicely.

I think this is a sensible policy and have no problem in repeating it going forward.

On the other hand though...

Dele Alli was 25 when he signed,
Gbamin 24.
Andre Gomes 24/25.

We're not getting a penny out of any of them.

Strong argument to be made on quality and fit over age - regardless.

Forget Gyokeres Everton should be doing everything they can to sign iliman ndiaye!
That guy is class. He can dribble and he’s got a split second timing that not many ballers have.
When Sheff Utd got promoted any chance of that happening disappeared.

If he helps keep them in the division it will be worth more than they will get in a transfer fee.

The same with Brennan Johnson at Forest last season , they could easily have sold him but he played a big part in their survival.

I do realise Ndiaye is coming to the end of his contract while Johnson was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back