Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but you buy the 27 year old and sign a 4 year deal so that ends and he's not in his prime anymore so you go replace him with another 27 year old and so on. You do this for a decade without stocking the team with guys who can give you more than a handful of years or a fee in return when he leaves which leaves you with no money to buy anyone else or depth in the squad.

If we exclusively sign people that age, yeah. Last summer we signed 3 young players (Onana, Garner, McNeil), 2 players in their prime (Maupay and Tarkowski) and 1 player at the end of his career (Gueye). At least in terms of the age profile you'd like to see from your transfers, I can't complain about them.

Yeah, I’ve got concerns, 25 is quite old to have only really played Championship football and like you say when you look at the general conversion rate from championship to PL he might not bring enough goals. If we were guaranteed a fit DCL I’d say he was an ideal backup / partner for DCL but we know whoever we sign is going to be the main man most of the time.

At the same time you do have guys who step up easily at that sort of age, Toney for example, and no one is guaranteed. But if we do go Gyokeres I’d prefer him to be one of two striking options signed.

Toney scored 31 goals in the championship though. Mitrovic got 43 as another example. They're numbers that show they're a step up from the championship IMO.

Not ripping into him like but I do have concerns especially with the £20mill fee when theres other fish in the pond.

West Ham are interested in him too apparently. They'll have Declan Rice dollar too

When Sheff Utd got promoted any chance of that happening disappeared.

If he helps keep them in the division it will be worth more than they will get in a transfer fee.

The same with Brennan Johnson at Forest last season , they could easily have sold him but he played a big part in their survival.

I do realise Ndiaye is coming to the end of his contract while Johnson was not.
Can understand that logic and they may well feel the same about keeping him and risking losing him for nowt next summer but imo you are almost always better selling with one year to go if they have indicated they won’t renew.

Look at Leicester with Tielemans, they should’ve taken the money last summer but instead they kept a guy who basically mailed it in all year because he was waiting for his move, and got zero return from it. It was a huge mistake.

Also, same as us and Iwobi if he doesn’t renew, if you do decide to keep them for a final year rather than take the money, you have to bear in mind they are likely off to AFCON so you don’t even get the full final year.

Maybe if they turn down 20m for him he could be the guy who keeps them in the league but that’s not guaranteed, the guy(s) they bring in with the money could do that, or they might go down anyway. The answer is almost always to just take the money.

On the other hand though...

Dele Alli was 25 when he signed,
Gbamin 24.
Andre Gomes 24/25.

We're not getting a penny out of any of them.

Strong argument to be made on quality regardless.
I think that the signing of Alli was daft and can only hope that the deal he brought on is far more beneficial than it appears.

Gbamin suffered an injury that finished him in England... that could happen to anyone.

Gomes started well and after twelve months when his loan was converted to a permanent deal most thought it was a coup for the club.

I think that the signing of Alli was daft and can only hope that the deal he brought on is far more beneficial than it appears.

Gbamin suffered an injury that finished him in England... that could happen to anyone.

Gomes started well and after twelve months when his loan was converted to a permanent deal most thought it was a coup for the club.

Exactly mate so age not the defining factor.

Prince Rupert Tower reckon we are interested in Joaquin Correa

we've been linked with him since about 2019, the fact that in the write up they refer to him being "plagued with injuries" worries me a bit. looks like he missed 99 days in the 22/23 season and 79 in the 21/22 season. think he may be too brittle for the premier league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back