Summer Transfer Window - Credible Rumours Only Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is fine in theory as long as you can be certain neither will pick up a bad injury that keeps them out for several months. Every place in the table is worth ~ 2m, a poor 3rd choice CB can cost you a lot of places in the table if he plays for a significant portion of the season.
And a non existent number 10 can cost you more. It's a risk not having a top quality back up defender I agree, but that is the risk I believe we should be taking.

Not because it's fun to take risks, more because to me, if you have limited resources which we clearly have, it makes much more sense to be spending 10 million on a good player who can come straight in to the team, than spend 10 million on a defender to sit on the bench "incase" one of our preferred two gets injured.

In an ideal world we'd have money dropping out of our bum holes and we'd have both. But the reality is we're pretty skint and have to make a small wedge go a long way or "be creative" in the market as Martinez put it.

Spending 10 million on Scott Dann to me isn't being creative if it means little money left to fill a more important role in the team.

And a non existent number 10 can cost you more. It's a risk not having a top quality back up defender I agree, but that is the risk I believe we should be taking.

Not because it's fun to take risks, more because to me, if you have limited resources which we clearly have, it makes much more sense to be spending 10 million on a good player who can come straight in to the team, than spend 10 million on a defender to sit on the bench "incase" one of our preferred two gets injured.

In an ideal world we'd have money dropping out of our bum holes and we'd have both. But the reality is we're pretty skint and have to make a small wedge go a long way or "be creative" in the market as Martinez put it.

Spending 10 million on Scott Dann to me isn't being creative if it means little money left to fill a more important role in the team.
Can understand your logic mate and as you say in an ideal world we could afford both but it doesn't look like we can. My opinion on which is more important varies by the day! Both our leaky defence and blunt attack cost us a lot of pints last season,

One of the reasons why I think Danns will play quite a bit is that I think stones will move to right back when Coleman is injured. I don't think he will use Hibbert again

He is much better than Jose Fonte who isnt doing too bad at Southampton.

8m just isnt realistic at all

Thinking of

Lovren 22m

Caulker 10m

I think im right in saying you sold Lescott at a similar age to Dann for 22m!

Palace dont want to sell, he's our captain and if you do want to take him from us you it will cost you an arm and a leg, gone are the days when Martinez gets out players on the cheap (like Moses for 2.5m)

Or put it another way, how much would you want for Jagielka? I could say he's 32, no resale and 6-8m would be a fair amount, would you accept that? ofcourse not[/QUOTE]

Lescott was different he was scoring as many as Terry, at one point kept Baines out from LB, his paring eventually with Jagielka made him even better, remember them two playing for England and keeping Spain quiet, that's how good they were together, plus it was the start of the silly money at City an we were considered rivals to them in there step up to the top four so that price tag was about right at the time.

8 mil is probs right for Jagielka considering arsenal bidded 15mil a few seasons back he's an England international played in Europe at club level too and been key for Everton finishing 5th 6th 7th over the years.

Dann on the other hand just doesn't have these quailities an is no way near the 15mil price tag your fans are asking for, personally I think Fonte is better than him lovren was a panic buy out the Suarez money an I don't care about caulker.

I fully understand your position he's key to your team, captain an all the rest so I'll expect you to want more money for a replacement but from our point of view anything over 8mil for a back up player is just silly and I believe Everton could get better elsewhere for that kind of money to push Jagielka or stones for a start and hopefully keep us competitive.

Wish people would stop talking about backup defenders.

If you see someone as a backup player, and they're over 21, it probably means they're not good enough for us. What we need is a defender good enough to do a job on top strikers and to challenge Jags and Stones for a starting place.

Apparently Marseille accepted second West Ham's offer (around 15M euro) for Payet. We can drop him off our list.

Unless of course we also decide to...
Payit!
:cool:
16505.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.