Super Lee Carsley

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX Bill

Player Valuation: £80m
I've seen in various threads where we "need" to replace Cars now and bring in another defensive midfielder.

One question.

Why?

Carsley has been an instrumental player for us and I'd say that after Howard and Arteta, that his name is always next on the team sheet. Granted he's a bit older but I'd say that he's got at least another season or two in the top flight.

I also remember clearly how he did for us the year we placed 4th. The next year he was injured for the majority of the season and we didn't do so hot. He comes back fully fit the following year and we get 6th.

Coincidence? I think not.

What say you?

He is not getting younger Bill. He is going to need replacing, sooner rather than later. You know Moyes is a forward thinker so a replacement will be on the cards.

If we saw him "getting older" in his play, then I'd be in full agreement. But I'm not seeing it.

I think we have more pressing needs (attacking midfielder anyone?) that spending money on an area that is secure through this year and probably next doesn't make a lot of sense right now.

Use the funds where they're needed.

He,s been brilliant again this season but if we are to make a play for the top 6 we needer a younger version who can take the game by the scruff of the neck

My taking is that someone needs to be brought in as an under study- learn from Cars. One thing that lets Carsley down is his lack of pace, we need a box to box midfielder who can pick a pass or two. I do think we lack a bit of height in the middle as well.

If we saw him "getting older" in his play, then I'd be in full agreement. But I'm not seeing it.

I think we have more pressing needs (attacking midfielder anyone?) that spending money on an area that is secure through this year and probably next doesn't make a lot of sense right now.

Sorry mate, I don't agree - Carsley needs to be replaced asap. He is not quick enough to keep up with most teams, and against the top 4 he is exposed.

One of the weak links for me. We need a box to box player, not someone who just puts his boot through the ball wherever he is on the park. We need class, panache, style, intelligence.

However good a job he does, which there is no doubting he does. There are players out there who if where asked to do the same job would do it with a bit more class and guile.

Everyones got there shelf life, i mean take makelele for example, first name on the chelsea team sheat a season and a half ago. He cant get a sniff off first team football now.

Younger more mobile version of carsley please, with a bit more ability on the ball ;)

Sorry mate, I don't agree - Carsley needs to be replaced asap. He is not quick enough to keep up with most teams, and against the top 4 he is exposed.

One of the weak links for me. We need a box to box player, not someone who just puts his boot through the ball wherever he is on the park. We need class, panache, style, intelligence.

I certainly would,nt call him a weak link he has been superb this season especially with cahill and osman alongside him.
His job is to break up the play and give the ball to the likes of ossie to play with and he has done that brilliant this season.

We need to replace him because he's getting to old.
He doesn't need to be cast out of the team immediately but within a season I think we should have someone lined up to take that position of him. Ideally he could be signed soon, to settle in before were left with no able defensive midfielders.

Carsley has been and still is one of our best players but I do think we should try and improve. His main weaknesses is his distribution, control and dribbling. Those skills aren't essential to that role but they make a difference. Mikel, Viera etc. Sometimes when we play united or chelsea we struggle to keep the ball although we win it as easy as anyone. A player who could tackle like carsley but keep the ball is who we need. We don't need him now but Carsleys time is sadly running out.

Hey great !!!

Let me check under the couch cushions and see if I can't scrounge up anywhere from 8-10M because that's what it's gonna cost to find a defensive midfielder that gives you all that.

So, back to my original point. I'd rather we spend that sort of money on an attacking midfielder right now who can help us right now than on a defensive midfielder who may or may not feature for us the rest of the season.

Your not looking hard enough then, seriously Carsley is visibly knackered probably due to the fact he's asked to play in almost every game despite him getting on in age. I agree he is essential to the team but the amount of times the opposition has scored where he is supposed to be marking is criminal.

He does a good job covering it up too, pointing at the on rushing attacker as if Yobo/Lescott had let him run on. I believe he does this because he's shattered from all covering the back four constantly. If we brought someone in to share the work load with him and learn Carsley's game whilst he's still here then even better.

Sorry mate, but we have Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, Fernandes, Osman. There's 5 there - if your saying that we are desperate for an attacking midfielder, than where have you been all season? We are scoring goals, we are not defending them so well - to me that says we don't have a problem attacking.

Ummm...and of those 5 you mentioned (although Fernandes is back), only Arteta can hold the ball up, beat his marker regularly, doesn't get dispossessed, and create for others.

Cahill & Osman rely on others and Pienaar's a mixed bag.

So if you're asking me where I've been all season, I'll ask you where you were when we played Chelsea, Arsenal, & Man U? Because in those matches, our lack of creativity was seriously exposed. Guessing you missed that then?

If we had six million to spend on Baines as well as the Yakubu, Jagielka and in theory fernandes money last summer then we may havethe money to spend 8 mil on a defensive midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back