Tennis !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it before, but just how mental is the Womens’ game nowadays? World no 140 vs World no 76 in the final.. surely we won’t ever see that sort of ranking anomaly ever again!!
Feels like women's tennis is on the cusp of another great rivalry.. Been almost impossible to remember anyone with the amount of new winners popping up every week.. Its hugely competitive with so many potential winners but doesn't help anyone to stick out.

Love this kid, she’s absolutely mega.

Devastating forehand, superb court coverage, But maybe her biggest asset is that she plays the same whether it is match point or 40-0 in the first.
Yeah, one game in the 2nd half of the 2nd set she looked beaten twice but basically flung her racquet at the ball and spun around ready.

Also loved the winning point, the tennis equivalent of belting the ball into an empty kop net from a yard out lol

Watched some of the highlights with Leylah Fernandez, and she looks equally great. leftie, too.

If they both play as well as they have been so far then it will be a good match. Fernandez has been pushed much harder in a lot of her matches.

What we really need is the Clapton riff belted out every time Leylah wins a point...

Well I can't speak for all of us but I couldn't care less. The qualifier winning would be great though.
I think our Canadian will win. Easily.

Fernandez has no serve - beyond getting it in play. She's mobile, but doesn't have heavy ground strokes that can trouble an opponent.

Straight sets win - 6-2 6-3.

Said it before, but just how mental is the Womens’ game nowadays? World no 140 vs World no 76 in the final.. surely we won’t ever see that sort of ranking anomaly ever again!!

I think that’s what makes Women’s tennis so enjoyable.

It’s mad really but seeing some of the greatest athletes of all time in Nadal, Federer, Djokovic is great, but when they monopolise a sport for years, it just kind of gets a little boring.

The women’s sport has been excellent for 4-5 years and this is surely the most bizarre ever!

I think that’s what makes Women’s tennis so enjoyable.

It’s mad really but seeing some of the greatest athletes of all time in Nadal, Federer, Djokovic is great, but when they monopolise a sport for years, it just kind of gets a little boring.

The women’s sport has been excellent for 4-5 years and this is surely the most bizarre ever!
yeah, gotta say that i prefer watching the Womens game compared to the Men's game, (with the exception of when there is a meeting of the big guns).

generally the Womens' game is much less dominated by power, so its a more even playing field. The mens' game is increasingly dominated by players that look like they should be on a basketball court, whereas you can still be a 5'7" player in the women's game and be highly competitive if your shotmaking is good enough.

Don't understand why the British girl is favourite. The other girl has beaten 4 players ranked higher than any she has beaten.
I wish her all the best but I will be getting on the Canadian at 7/5

Don't understand why the British girl is favourite. The other girl has beaten 4 players ranked higher than any she has beaten.
I wish her all the best but I will be getting on the Canadian at 7/5
One commentator said that they haven’t seen anyone attack a return like raducanu since serena Williams. Another said she has no weaknesses. Maybe the bookies make her favourite because she is the more aggressive player? Also Fernandez has played twice as many grand slam tournaments and never got as far as the third round until now whereas raducanu has reached a final in only her second grand slam tournament and the first one she was in she got to the fourth round and then had to withdraw due to breathing difficulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back