Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
ib25-700.png

No surprise for most of the catergories apart from the journalism one.........

No surprise for most of the catergories apart from the journalism one.........

I don't think this one is surprising at all. Many journalists have had to cut their teeth and learn the trade through internships, poorly paid jobs, etc, and it simply isn't achievable for people without money. Not to mention it is largely about networking and those privately educated are most likely to have the contacts.

It is possibly the most worrying trend though because these are the people who feed information to the population on a daily basis and inform many views. Just as politicians do no represent the majority of views, the media is the same.

I don't think this one is surprising at all. Many journalists have had to cut their teeth and learn the trade through internships, poorly paid jobs, etc, and it simply isn't achievable for people without money. Not to mention it is largely about networking and those privately educated are most likely to have the contacts.

So, are you saying that private schooling is fundamental in the self-perpetuating inequality and barriers to social mobility that exist in our society?

8 billion unfunded they have not said where it is coming from - desperation ? Also the manifesto supposed to be out on Monday delayed!
They really look like they are all over the place, a hung parliament looking nailed on!
If the scots had not had the referendum with the glorification of support for the SNP Labour may have won outright!

Last edited:
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/04/british-democracy-nearing-crisis-point

British democracy is nearing a crisis point

The young and the poor are increasingly turning away from democratic politics, incentivising politicians to focus on the rich and the old.

BY MATHEW LAWRENCE PUBLISHED 10 APRIL, 2015

3096841.jpg

A first-time voter goes to the polls in 1970, the first year that eighteen year olds were able to vote. Photo:Getty
If Yeats was alive and observing the general election today he may well ask ‘what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Westminster to be born?’ Falling participation rates, declining belief in the efficacy of democracy generally and political parties in particular, growing electoral inequality – all are worrying symptoms of a deeper problem: stark, ingrained levels of political inequality in our political system that threatens the integrity of the democratic process. As the phony war ends then and electoral battle is joined in earnest – hi-vis jackets and all - we risk sleepwalking towards a divided democracy.

Political inequality is where despite procedural equality in the democratic process, certain groups, classes or individuals nonetheless have greater influence over and participate more in political decision-making processes, with policy outcomes systematically weighted in their favour. As such, it undermines a central democratic ideal: that all citizens, regardless of status, should be given equal consideration in and opportunity to influence collective political decision-making.

IPPR’s new report, Political Inequality: Why British democracy must be reformed and revitalized, shows the growing scale of the problem: in 1987, there was only a four-point gap in the turnout rate between the highest income quintile and the poorest; by 2010 this had jumped to 23 points. Meanwhile just 44 per cent of 18-24-year-olds voted in the 2010 general election, compared to 76 per cent of those aged 65 and over, almost double the gap from the 1970s. Despite the admirable efforts of groups like Bite the Ballot, the warning lights are flashing: on current predictions, the pattern of stark turnout inequalities by age and class is set to repeat itself.

The perception from some parts of society that democracy is rigged in favour of the rich, the powerful and the well connected arguably underpins growing electoral inequality. For example, our new polling with YouGov suggests only one in four DE individuals believe democracy addresses their interests well, almost half the rate of AB voters. A striking 63 per cent of DE voters think it serves their interests badly, while less than one in ten think politicians understand the lives of people like themselves.

Political inequality is, of course, a broader phenomenon than just turnout inequality or perceptions about the efficacy of democracy. Yet as our report makes clear, the same pattern repeats itself in many facets of political life. Whether it is in who funds political parties, who participates in political activity more broadly, who is represented in elected office, or who has access to political decision-makers, the young and less well-off are systematically under-represented. By contrast, wealthier and older citizens enjoy disproportionate influence over the political process.

Although an unfamiliar concept in the British context, then, IPPR’s new report argues that political inequality offers a new lens to understand familiar debates during the general election about political disenchantment and electoral disengagement, suggesting there are deeper structural reasons for these phenomena than simply a dislike of today’s political class or public apathy. Rather they are rooted in inequalities within how our democracy actually operates, with some groups having more influence over – and consequently benefiting more from – government decision-making than others, through sustained, differing levels of participation, representation and voice in the political process.

Regardless of the outcome in May, reversing political inequality is central to broader democratic renewal. That will require more than discrete constitutional reform of the institutions and practices of representative democracy to reverse political inequality. Countervailing democratic institutions and practices that are more participatory, deliberative and powerful will have to be experimented with that can better disperse and democratise political power, both within but also beyond the channels of representative democracy.

Similarly, reform must be far more attentive to redressing class and age-based inequalities of influence. This might require radical institutional intervention, such as IPPR’s argument in favour compulsory first time voting, to reverse electoral inequality and substantively boost the influence of the presently politically excluded.

Last week, US President Barak Obama said “it would be transformative if everybody voted. If everyone voted, that would completely change the political map in this country.” He’s not wrong. “The people who tend not to vote are young, they're lower income, they're skewed more heavily towards immigrant groups and minority groups,” he said. “There's a reason why some folks try to keep them away from the polls." America is already a divided democracy, and the UK is headed in the same direction.

Mathew Lawrence works at the IPPR. He tweets at @dantonshead.

That is very true Clint. Sadly.

I will be fascinated to see the turnout in Scotland versus the rest of the Uk after the referendum last year seemed to energise the whole population.

It is difficult to stop parties focusing on the voters most likely to vote though I guess. Kind of makes sense. (As Osbournes pension reforms underline in very thick lines).

One to ponder methinks.

It has been several days since I last saw George Osborne in a hi-vis jacket and hard hat, standing outside some vibrant successful business symbolising all that is good in modern Britain. I am concerned, very concerned, does this in fact mean that the economy is doomed.

It has been several days since I last saw George Osborne in a hi-vis jacket and hard hat, standing outside some vibrant successful business symbolising all that is good in modern Britain. I am concerned, very concerned, does this in fact mean that the economy is doomed.

And Ed has stopped eating bacon sarnies. They take us for absolute fools dont they?

Bugs me. And why on earth Cameron is not in next weeks leader debate is astonishing to me. Whatever side of the political fence you sit, to allow your opponents hours of coverage, where, lets face it, they will lambast you, is just a ridiculous idea.

If Brown had chickened out, he would have been slammed, and it isnt like Cameron isnt bad as a debater. You might not agree with him, but he does "perform" well. In the main.

Him versus Ed would have been a really interesting one as well. Both are good at it

And Ed has stopped eating bacon sarnies. They take us for absolute fools dont they?

Bugs me. And why on earth Cameron is not in next weeks leader debate is astonishing to me. Whatever side of the political fence you sit, to allow your opponents hours of coverage, where, lets face it, they will lambast you, is just a ridiculous idea.

If Brown had chickened out, he would have been slammed, and it isnt like Cameron isnt bad as a debater. You might not agree with him, but he does "perform" well. In the main.

Him versus Ed would have been a really interesting one as well. Both are good at it

Indeed, the electorate now expect it, and let's face it, it will help fill the remaining 25 days to the election.

How have we all survived without a crap sound bite since Thursday?

Distraught here.......

How have we all survived without a crap sound bite since Thursday?

Distraught here.......

Just heard Farage on the news re the £8 billion NHS tory spending thing.

"Well, if immigration was under control we wouldnt need to find £8 billion"

Paraphrased, but jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back