Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always found it interesting that no-one batted an eyelid at the fact that Labour banned Job centres from advertising foodbanks due to the bad press it would cause. But labour sure do care about the poor.
I highlighted this to show the alarming rise in food banks more than anything else.

Labour may have been embarrassed about foodbanks, but Conservatives have no shame about them.

They do not need such illusory benefits.

Any builders living near you? what are their houses like?

My builder mate, recently retired, is a cash millionaire. Worked for himself for years and years. Left school in a crummy part of Bristol at the age of 15.

His builder mate built up a proper business in construction. Sold it 2 years ago for about £12m.

So what?

I highlighted this to show the alarming rise in food banks more than anything else.

Labour may have been embarrassed about foodbanks, but Conservatives have no shame about them.

And rightly so, I'd rather have a government that is prepared to take the bad publicity (and it has been very bad for them) but keep open an avenue of help for those that need it, than one who would keep it hidden in order to stop themselves looking bad, that is where the shame in this should lie.

My builder mate, recently retired, is a cash millionaire. Worked for himself for years and years. Left school in a crummy part of Bristol at the age of 15.

His builder mate built up a proper business in construction. Sold it 2 years ago for about £12m.

So what?

So what?

Do you think their accounts reflected all their earnings?

Of course, but there has always been the sniping of posh directed at Osbourne and Cameron in the papers and political, how many times does one hear of them looking after their own.

I take your point, but I think a lot of it is based on their beliefs and attitudes towards the poor.

Personally, I don't like the fact that the higher ranks of the Tories and Labour are dominated by such an elitist clique, but I have even less sympathy for those who come from lots of money and only serve to perpetuate inequality.

Also, in the case of Cameron and Osborne, the Bullington club certainly doesn't do them any favours.

Do you think their accounts reflected all their earnings?

I dont know. But I do know that my mate rarely took cash for jobs. Over the years he has also employed dozens of young lads, training them up, teaching them several trades in the process.

The other bloke ran a largeish business, doing a lot of work for local authorities. Pretty sure they wouldnt be paying in cash, and all his employees were PAYE.

I take your point, but I think a lot of it is based on their beliefs and attitudes towards the poor.

Personally, I don't like the fact that the higher ranks of the Tories and Labour are dominated by such an elitist clique, but I have even less sympathy for those who come from lots of money and only serve to perpetuate inequality.

Also, in the case of Cameron and Osborne, the Bullington club certainly doesn't do them any favours.

Yes, quite right inherited money is a carte blanche to do sod all and F*** the riff raff.

I dont know. But I do know that my mate rarely took cash for jobs. Over the years he has also employed dozens of young lads, training them up, teaching them several trades in the process.

The other bloke ran a largeish business, doing a lot of work for local authorities. Pretty sure they wouldnt be paying in cash, and all his employees were PAYE.

It is always folk on PAYE who shoulder the burden because they cannot hide.

And rightly so, I'd rather have a government that is prepared to take the bad publicity (and it has been very bad for them) but keep open an avenue of help for those that need it, than one who would keep it hidden in order to stop themselves looking bad, that is where the shame in this should lie.
I disagree - the shame in this should lie in the fact that so many more people are relying on foodbanks in this day and age. You don't think that's where the shame lies?

Near the beginning of this government, when the rise in foodbanks was beginning to be seen, a conservative MP (I forget which one) said that families could make trips to the foodbanks a "day out".

I'm not saying Labour are perfect, but the tories are so out of touch it's unbelievable. My mother in law helps run one and some of the stories are very sad indeed.

It is always folk on PAYE who shoulder the burden because they cannot hide.

Wouldnt disagree. But folk on PAYE get things like holidays and pensions and paid on time, (or at all). Its a quid per quo.

I choose to be self employed after 25 years on PAYE. I earned zippo last tax year, and paid zippo tax the year before that. BUT, I can almost earn as much or as little as I need to, within reason, and fancy putting the slog in this tax year.

It is how we roll.

Nonsense there are many folk who are just well off without being millionaires. Look at many folk, ordinary folk who have lived in houses for a long time and which have gone up in value because of demand and desirabilty who are not rich in cash terms but asset rich. Add to that those folk who started from sod all but through hard work have built themselves up why should they be punished?

Do you really think they are punished? Why should your children inherit what you worked for. Make them work for it I say. It seems to me that too much being left to the next generation and then the next leads to this....

Yes, quite right inherited money is a carte blanche to do sod all and F*** the riff raff.

So, which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back