Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Tories ever learn, they sold off all the housing in the 80's and that's why the housing market is the mess it is now.

We need to build 1000's and 1000's of more houses before you can offer right to buy again, talk about trying to buy votes, get them out FFS.

Can you give me an example? If you're suggesting things like 'kid away at uni', then perhaps the kid should get a part time job and pay the bill for what it's effectively their room, not their parents.

I fail to see a reason why anyone in social housing should be able to have a house larger than their needs. It's not their house. They should be forced to vacate when it is no longer suitable to their needs.

@Blue 1 beat me to it, but the most obvious one is separated parents needing a space for when the kids come to stay. If you can't offer that, not only does it make it physically difficult to spend time with your kids, it has the potential to cause emotional and mental stress related to not being able to provide, whilst the partner who is the full time guardian can.

Do the Tories ever learn, they sold off all the housing in the 80's and that's why the housing market is the mess it is now.

We need to build 1000's and 1000's of more houses before you can offer right to buy again, talk about trying to buy votes, get them out FFS.

The party with no new ideas scrambling around the back of the policy cupboard stumbled across a file called "Thatcherism"

"They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours."

Also, the rules dictate that couples must share a single room or be penalised.
Can you give me an example? If you're suggesting things like 'kid away at uni', then perhaps the kid should get a part time job and pay the bill for what it's effectively their room, not their parents.

I fail to see a reason why anyone in social housing should be able to have a house larger than their needs. It's not their house. They should be forced to vacate when it is no longer suitable to their needs.

This is another line that winds me up. IF they must vacate, they should be offered a suitable alternative in their local community. Virtually impossible in many communities now, image what it'll be like when all the housing stock is sold off.

Also, the rules dictate that couples must share a single room or be penalised.

This is another line that winds me up. IF they must vacate, they should be offered a suitable alternative in their local community. Virtually impossible in many communities now, image what it'll be like when all the housing stock is sold off.

Why? You're being given free housing, you don't get to be picky about where it is.

Shouldn't have had kids then. Next.

(Joke, btw)

Autistic children who need a separate sensory room, or disabled people who might have a room kitted out with particular necessary facilities. Foster carers who aren't currently fostering enough children for all their rooms, but are likely to in the future.

Autistic children who need a separate sensory room, or disabled people who might have a room kitted out with particular necessary facilities. Foster carers who aren't currently fostering enough children for all their rooms, but are likely to in the future.

Married couples who simply don't want to share a bedroom to sleep in.

This all tells me that it's workable policy with means tested exceptions eg anyone receiving carers allowance or disability benefits would probably be exempt.

Nope. You're bang on.

I'm literally lost for words. Do they ever learn?

I mean, I am from down south, and have had a few political debates over last few weeks, and even the life-long Tories I know accept that Thatcher caused a problem here. How can Cameron be so blind?

This all tells me that it's workable policy with means tested exceptions eg anyone receiving carers allowance or disability benefits would probably be exempt.

They're not. And the policy doesn't work, because there aren't enough smaller properties to go round.

The policy has widely been acknowledged as a complete mess which has caused a gret deal of unnecessary misery, and not solved any of the problems it set out to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back