Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly sure what you mean by "do something about them". But they have contributed to the massive distortion of property prices in London, well, central London really. Not convinced property prices in Liverpool or Newcastle have been that affected by them though.

And I also assume that if some rich foreigner wanted to buy Everton and lob millions at us, you would rather they do one then?

I was taking the proverbial. My point was that immigrants come in all shapes and sizes and that one man's friend is another man's foe. Rich immigrants do as much to destroy communities as poor ones do in different people's eyes. The reality is that they all have something to offer our country. Diversity of culture. Despite all the negative press, we have always been a very tolerant nation, built on the back of immigration. (Show me a Brit and I will show you an immigrant). That acceptance of others needs to be embraced.

As I mentioned above though, selling houses to their existing tenants won't change the waiting list situation whatsoever. If the houses weren't sold then the tenants would presumably stay in them, so there would be no new houses for those on the waiting list, and no new capital available to build new houses.

Your entire premise assumes that nobody will ever leave their social housing to buy their own house. Like my parents did when I was 8 years old. I'm not sure what percentage of people in social housing go on to buy their own house but surely it can't be zero, can it?

Whether I think there should be housing is irrelevent really, I'm just trying to look at the policies as rationally as possible.

Irrelevant or not, I'd like you to tell me.

A question back at you though. Do you think those in social housing should stay in social housing for their entire life? Is a big part of why welfare exists to get someone back on their own two feet?

It's very interesting how you see social housing as simply "welfare." I know three people who are live in social housing who have good jobs. One is a teacher. I think if they want to stay in social housing all their life then why not? Would we complain if they rented off a private tenant all their lives?

Last edited:
As much as I hope Labour do well in this election, and as much as Miliband has impressed me so far;

The Labour leader says: “I am a politician of the left, but I am positioned where the mainstream of politics is positioned. I am on the centre ground of politics.”

Isn't that otherwise called 'selling out', Ed?

Apparently it is the only way to win.

Hollande in France would disagree.

CCxbppxW0AAOxPT.png:large

Nicola Sturgeon is easily the most impressive person in British politics at the moment. No one else comes close.

Nicola Sturgeon is easily the most impressive person in British politics at the moment. No one else comes close.

Whilst putting in impressive performances on TV it has to be remembered that she is also the least accountable person in this election given she is not actually standing for Parliament.

I am surprised none of her opponents have not occasionally reminded audiences of this.

Your entire premise assumes that nobody will ever leave itheir social housing to but their own house. Like my parents did when I was 8 years old. I'm not sure what percentage of people in social housing go on to buy their own house but surely it can't be zero, can it?

No, of course, that is very true. Like you, I've no idea how many social tenants buy a home on the open market. Instinctively I'd imagine that it would be relatively low, hence why right to buy schemes exist to try and make it easier, but I have no stats to back that up.

Irrelevant or not, I'd like you to tell me.

I suspect I don't know enough about the matter to have an informed opinion either way. If you're asking therefore if I think social housing should exist or not, my honest answer to you would be "I don't know".

It's very interesting how you see social housing as simply "welfare." I know three people who are live in social housing who have good jobs. One is a teacher. I think if they want to stay in social housing all their life then why not? Would we complain if they rented off a private tenant all their lives?

I always imagined social housing was for those in dire straights financially rather than those with well paying jobs. That it's delivered at rents that are below market rates makes it a form of welfare imo.

The above was informed via Shelter by the way. If they haven't got the whole picture then of course, do please add some further context.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/campa...proving_social_housing/what_is_social_housing

Whilst putting in impressive performances on TV it has to be remembered that she is also the least accountable person in this election given she is not actually standing for Parliament.

I am surprised none of her opponents have not occasionally reminded audiences of this.

None of them are particularly accountable if we're to be honest.

Indeed. It's easy to sound good when you don't have to deliver things. As we see in Greece at the moment, grand promises are much easier to propose than they are to keep.

I will guarantee that more people will vote for Farage than her. In fact, she will get the exact same number of votes as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back