Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing this line, but no one can explain why they would be more dangerous than a party which has just overseen the grossest of moral turpitude in regards to the suffering inflicted on the poor and vulnerable living in 2015 Great Britain. A party which is prepared to allow the electorate to vote us out of the European Market and as a consequence hit manufacturing and export harder than they'll ever have been hit before. A party who thinks that 'We're all in it together' means if you're rich we'll help you get richer and if you're poor we'll leave you behind. A party who are caving in to UKIPs ideology on immigration and as a result contributing to the division of communities as we all look at each other with suspicion and envy. A party who are looking to put profit before patients in the NHS. A party who are going about the social cleansing of long established communities to get their grubby little mitts on property. A party who treat the disabled as though they are a drain on society.

I could go on. Please can someone, anyone tell me why the two Eds aren't capable of serving the people of this country without being more dangerous than the last lot.

I posted a page or so ago a comparison of the parties views on immigration, and there isn't a single mainstream party that is talking about the topic in a positive way. By far and away the most liberal are, perhaps not surprisingly, the Lib Dems. Labour appear just as right wing (socially) as the Tories, which is rather unfortunate.

Re the referendum, isn't that a little condescending towards the British public? Saying that they can't be trusted to have their say on matters.

Re the NHS, for about the 100th time, that isn't what is happening whatsoever. Will someone please read the five year plan published last autumn and tell me anywhere in that document that profiteering is mentioned whatsoever?

Welfare does appear to have been a complete balls up, but the rest of your post seems incredibly subjective. Even the property based diatribe I'm afraid. I mean I live in Labour controlled Southwark, and this is the scene just down the road from me.

cbcptsvwqaa5z5z_large.png

You can imagine the hay that would have been made of this had it been a Tory run council. No doubt there have been mistakes made, many of them substantial ones, but lets have some facts in amidst the emotive stuff.

' A party which is prepared to allow the electorate to vote us out of the European Market '.........we are the electorate, the electorate are us..........do you not trust the electorate, or like Miliband do you know better.........

There are some issues in my mind that should not go to referendum. This is one. There is too much at stake.

A classic example is the reintroduction of capital punishment. The general population would've voted to bring back the death penalty had a referendum been granted. Politicians didn't succumb to the pressure to hold one. Parliament were given a free vote and chose not to bring back hanging. In hindsight, should we have trusted the electorate?

Politicians are paid to gen up on the issues that are often beyond the reach of many of us. They are there to listen to the lobby groups, hear out arguments and act on as much info as possible. They're employed to debate these issues on our behalf. That's democracy in action. Asking Joe Bloggs whether they want to remain in Europe, when the only interest they've ever showed in Europe is asking whether Ryan Air fly to Corfu is not.

There are some issues in my mind that should not go to referendum. This is one. There is too much at stake.

A classic example is the reintroduction of capital punishment. The general population would've voted to bring back the death penalty had a referendum been granted. Politicians didn't succumb to the pressure to hold one. Parliament were given a free vote and chose not to bring back hanging. In hindsight, should we have trusted the electorate?

Politicians are paid to gen up on the issues that are often beyond the reach of many of us. They are there to listen to the lobby groups, hear out arguments and act on as much info as possible. They're employed to debate these issues on our behalf. That's democracy in action. Asking Joe Bloggs whether they want to remain in Europe, when the only interest they've ever showed in Europe is asking whether Ryan Air fly to Corfu is not.

Have you ever met a politician. They are mostly self obsessed and in it for themselves. I would have far more trust in the electorate.......

Whatever the issue. It's our country and it should be run the way that we want. Why do you think that a bunch of grasping self servers know best........

I guess that's why we're having a general election.

In regards to the grasping self servers bit - Hmmmm! On one hand I argue that the Tories only look out for themselves whilst the Left are more considerate of the needs of others. On the other I actually think that most politicians are in public office because they see it as a vocation. I will even give credit to the likes of Davey & Gideon, who will work some of the longest hours in the country, spend too much time away from their families (I think this is taking its toll on Cameron btw), have given up any chance of a quiet life until the end of time and who have to live with so many of the choices they make, knowing that they affect so many people the world over. Self serving they are not.

......somebody is due a major gaff, I know everything is clinically choreographed but surely there will be revelation that impacts the polls. Imagine if an Edwina/John Major type scandal broke, it would make the campaign a bit more interesting.

It's likely i will be voting Green. I expect the Conservatives to be a disgrace but Labour too? I'd go as far as calling them frauds. If the Labour party came out and presented a full disclosure of their financial plans and it was credible, i'd vote for them. The real question is why would any political party not disclose their financial plans to the voter? There are only two possible reasons, firstly, they haven't got a credible plan or secondly they know their plan would be deeply unpopular with their core voters and alienate them. Either way, it's not good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32424739

The Green party has resonated with me more than anything other party by a distance this time, i've met the local candidate in my area who seems genuine (not seen or heard a thing from Labour, Tory or Liberals - but then it's a strong Labour area - hopefully for not too much longer).

I've seen a lot of elections in my time and this is by far the worst i've witnessed, especially from Labour. David Miliband as PM and Gordon Brown as chancellor - i'd have voted for that, but not this pair of clowns

By the way, did anyone see newzoids last night? The scene with Boris, Osbourne and Cameron was very good - the Osbourne character had me in stiches - http://www.factorycreate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/George-O-David-C-NEW.jpg

There is loads in their (Greens) manifesto I agree with but there is also plenty of pie in the sky stuff. Far to much fantasy for me to consider them a serious alternative. I dont agree with everything Labour stand for, they even under red Ed are still too right wing but I have seen a genuine shift back to the left which gives me hope.

David Miliband was far to closely linked to Blair and Iraq. I was delighted he lost the leadership bid. I understand the aprehension around Ed Miliband but I've seen enough to genuinely believe he will be a good PM, time and again he's stood up to the establishment and fought for what is right. If he gets in to number 10 he'll be the first PM since the 1970s to have done so against the wishes of the controlling powerful mainstream media - quite something for democracy.

The Nick Clegg and Prince George are great on Newzoids to, but yeah the Osborne is excellent.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back