Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that's why we're having a general election.

In regards to the grasping self servers bit - Hmmmm! On one hand I argue that the Tories only look out for themselves whilst the Left are more considerate of the needs of others. On the other I actually think that most politicians are in public office because they see it as a vocation. I will even give credit to the likes of Davey & Gideon, who will work some of the longest hours in the country, spend too much time away from their families (I think this is taking its toll on Cameron btw), have given up any chance of a quiet life until the end of time and who have to live with so many of the choices they make, knowing that they affect so many people the world over. Self serving they are not.

'The left are more considerate of the needs of others'..... You really have been brainwashed haven't you. Have you seen how much Tony Blair and his Human Rights Lawyer wife have been making lately.......also Gordon Brown made more money as an MP than any other in parliament. They are ALL in it for themselves. The days of altruism are gone, it's a profession.......

'The left are more considerate of the needs of others'..... You really have been brainwashed haven't you. Have you seen how much Tony Blair and his Human Rights Lawyer wife have been making lately.......also Gordon Brown made more money as an MP than any other in parliament. They are ALL in it for themselves. The days of altruism are gone, it's a profession.......

Pete, whatever Tony Blair makes today is no more relevant than what you and I "make". What is relevant is the impact of each party's policies on the majority of the population.

By definition a party that values society above the individual must be more considerate of the needs of others, therefore undoubtedly that is true of the Labour Party vis-a-vis the Conservatives.

Ffs. I think it was fairly bloody obvious that my comment was one that primarily acknowledged how hard leading politicians of all parties work for the people of this country. I know 1st hand the sacrifices made by many politicians and mentioned some in a previous post. I think it is a very cynical view that they are ALL in it for themselves.

But, seeing as you bit, in regards to being brainwashed, then right back at you. Why is it that the majority of you bashing the left choose to ignore the majority of the statistical facts relating to the effects of the Governments ideologically driven austerity measures? Keep burying your heads in the sand.

Last edited:
Pete, whatever Tony Blair makes today is no more relevant than what you and I "make". What is relevant is the impact of each party's policies on the majority of the population.

By definition a party that values society above the individual must be more considerate of the needs of others, therefore undoubtedly that is true of the Labour Party vis-a-vis the Conservatives.

I don't consider keeping people dependent on the state as valuing society. I want everybody to be well off, Labour exists by having a class division driven by envy. There is no doubt that the Tories have been portrayed by Labour as the party of the rich, even though more people vote Tory than Labour ( does that mean that most people are rich), but the reality is that Labour have no ambition for the poor, just sympathy and money, rather than helping them to stand up on their own two feet............

Ffs. I think it was fairly bloody obvious that my comment was one that primarily acknowledged how hard leading politicians of all parties work for the people of this country. I know 1st hand the sacrifices made by many politicians and mentioned some in a previous post. I think it is a very cynical view that they are ALL in it for themselves.

But, seeing as you bit, in regards to being brainwashed, then right back at you. Why is it that the majority of you bashing the left choose to ignore the majority of the statistical facts relating to the effects of the Governments ideologically driven austerity measures? Keep burying your heads in the sand.

Why is this 'austerity' necessary ? No political party wants to upset the electorate.......

I don't consider keeping people dependent on the state as valuing society. I want everybody to be well off, Labour exists by having a class division driven by envy. There is no doubt that the Tories have been portrayed by Labour as the party of the rich, even though more people vote Tory than Labour ( does that mean that most people are rich), but the reality is that Labour have no ambition for the poor, just sympathy and money, rather than helping them to stand up on their own two feet............

The reality is that the Tories have no compassion for the poor, just contempt and would rather take away all their support mechanisms before cutting them off at the knees.

It isn't. It's ideological. There are other ways.

It's not ideological. Do you really believe it is ideological to hurt the electorate, really. It's reality, it's things that have to be done, as opposed to the nice things that Labour and the SNP promise which are promises built on sand...........

The reality is that the Tories have no compassion for the poor, just contempt and would rather take away all their support mechanisms before cutting them off at the knees.

You are locked in some 19th Century view of the landed gentry and serfs.......life has moved on, it's time that some Labour voters did.........

It's not ideological. Do you really believe it is ideological to hurt the electorate, really. It's reality, it's things that have to be done, as opposed to the nice things that Labour and the SNP promise which are promises built on sand...........
For the sake of argument, you have five kids. You hit hard times and you are going to have to re-budget. You calculate that if you take everything away from the youngest 2 so that they have no food or clothing and you take away the clothing from the next 2, then the remaining child will not only be fed and clothed, but can actually eat out at restaurants in a new outfits every week.

As the person in charge of the budget with responsibility for the welfare of your children would you?

Why is this 'austerity' necessary ? No political party wants to upset the electorate.......

Austerity is required because of the debt crisis according to the Government - there is no debt crisis. Not once have international debt markets viewed the UK as a problem, look at Government bond yields, at historic lows!

However, let's get back to society and individuals - remember Margaret Thatcher?

"you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour."

The Labour Party is not driven by envy, it is driven by compassion for those that through circumstances do not have the means, ability, education or motivation to help themselves. How much stronger is a society that helps the poor and weak than a society that says "each for their own"?

The wealthy, the educated, the skilled, the motivated will always succeed regardless of macro-economic circumstances (I know that through personal circumstances) - the poor, uneducated, unskilled, and unmotivated require the assistance of the State, and for the State it is a much more meaningful and profitable investment than a reduction in borrowing or tax cuts for those that don't need it.

Just a quick point that came up today in the economics classroom.

Can either bedroom tax or mansion tax be justified? Are either necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back