Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you compare our performance internationally, via the PISA tests, we actually do rather badly, and despite the huge investment in them during the Labour years, our standing didn't really change.

Again, what control can you measure it against, though? There are so many variables at work that international comparisons are only so useful. There is no doubt in my mind that British teachers are better trained than they've ever been (and are highly rated around the world). Do you think that Sri Lankan children are genetically predisposed to being good at maths, for example. In my experience, they are almost invariably noticably numerate. And yet they get taught by the same teachers as everyone else in the school. It seems obvious to me that there is something else at play here.

Giving teachers control over schools rather than bureaucrats has thus far shown to be a good thing (on the whole).

Hugely debatable. Teachers don't really want control over their own schools, they want to teach and they want practical support to that end. They want Head Teachers they can trust and Heads want a support sytem that helps their school to help their children be successful in life. I don't know one teacher who thinks ideological experiments with children's futures are a good thing but I suppose ethere must be some out there.

I'll say again, though - as sure as eggs is eggs, some free schools will be very good, some will be okay, and some will be an unmitigated disaster.

Again, what control can you measure it against, though? There are so many variables at work that international comparisons are only so useful. There is no doubt in my mind that British teachers are better trained than they've ever been (and are highly rated around the world). Do you think that Sri Lankan children are genetically predisposed to being good at maths, for example. In my experience, they are almost invariably noticably numerate. And yet they get taught by the same teachers as everyone else in the school. It seems obvious to me that there is something else at play here.

For sure, as I've said many times before, educational performance is certainly much more complex than what happens from 8-3 on a school day. Despite them having very different approaches, the one thing seemingly in common in South Korea and Finland is that they take education very seriously (as a culture).

In the longer term I'd say that's the only real weapon we have to ensure we do alright in the global economy. Everything rests on the knowledge we have. There's obviously much that can be done with that 8-3 window, but I don't know how everything else involved in learning can change, especially for the poorer folks.

Hugely debatable. Teachers don't really want control over their own schools, they want to teach and they want practical support to that end. They want Head Teachers they can trust and Heads want a support sytem that helps their school to help their children be successful in life. I don't know one teacher who thinks ideological experiments with children's futures are a good thing but I suppose ethere must be some out there.

I'll say again - as sure as eggs is eggs, some free schools will be very good, some will be okay, and some will be un unmitigated disaster.

I was under the impression that schools had volunteered to go into academy status to give themselves that control?

Re your last point, I've no doubt about that at all. Variance is a fact of life unfortunately, and is such even in state systems such as the NHS which aim to offer a similar level of care wherever you are. As human beings aren't machines I don't think you'll ever eradicate variance completely, so the question then becomes what can you do about it? When you discover a disaster, what happens then? That's the only way the 'system' as a whole continues to improve.

That'll be a 'yes' then.

Do you have a heart in there somewhere Bruce!?

See? Seriously lol If you're just looking at something to rage at (or tut at, whichever you prefer) then I'm sure you'll find plenty of it without poking me in order to find it.

For me to say whether something is fair or not I'd have to have an intimate knowledge of peoples lives. Suffice to say I don't. I don't know anything about the rich fella nor the poor fella.

So frankly, who the bloody hell am I to say whether either of their situations are fair or not. You may feel you can sit in judgement, but I can't I'm afraid.

So is it fair or not? I've got absolutely no idea.

I'll say again, though - as sure as eggs is eggs, some free schools will be very good, some will be okay, and some will be an unmitigated disaster.
I agree completely about the schools. Let them teach, and let someone who knows what they're doing run the school.

Why? So you can disagree with me again, or be outraged or something? :)

Well, I'm trying to see where you're coming from. I'm also intrigued that you're so reluctant to answer a simple question.

What good would it do to anyone me sharing my thoughts on whether something is fair or not?

I didn't ask you if it was fair, I asked you if you thought it was right. Why can't you give me a straight answer?

In the longer term I'd say that's the only real weapon we have to ensure we do alright in the global economy. Everything rests on the knowledge we have. There's obviously much that can be done with that 8-3 window, but I don't know how everything else involved in learning can change, especially for the poorer folks.

There's a great big elephant in the room here called the British class system and private education. Without a meritocratic society we are de facto under-reaching our massive potential. Genuine talent is being held back; mediocrity is being allowed to triumph (I mean, do you really think intellectual pygmies like Cameron and Osborne would be in charge if they'd not lived a life of privilege?). I'd have thought a libetarian would have been with me on this one.

How many times have you heard the line, "clean up the mess left by a Labour"? Say it enough and people believe it. Look, it suited the Tory party down to the ground that the global financial crisis came when it did. It suited them because they could directly blame the Labour Party for any financial uncertainty. Not only that, but it also meant that they could then begin to feed the nation the notion that there was only one viable alternative; austerity. It was a sequence of positives for the Tories and the only reason they managed to scrap into government even without an outright majority.

Ultimately, their cuts have been purely ideological and often devastating. To anyone who buys the Tory line of Labour crashing the economy, do some a bit of research and think; perhaps the Tory party are telling lies. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

You keep saying that the Tories do things for 'ideological' reasons, are you sure that perhaps you're not just looking in the mirror............

There's a great big elephant in the room here called the British class system and private education. Without a meritocratic society we are de facto under-reaching our massive potential. Genuine talent is being held back; mediocrity is being allowed to triumph (I mean, do you really think intellectual pygmies like Cameron and Osborne would be in charge if they'd not lived a life of privilege?). I'd have thought a libetarian would have been with me on this one.

So you are appalled by Labours destruction of the meritocratic 11plus system.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back