Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And as I said before, how can I judge a situation I know nothing about? How can you judge whether someone has earned their money in a fair way?

It's quite simple what he's asking Bruce - is it fair that, in general, the poor have been ransacked whilst the rich have got richer over the past five years? It's not a political question, and it's not something you need facts or figures about - it's a moral question.

I can take British politics completely out of it if you want - say there's 5,000 people - 4,990 of those people are poor and lose more as a percentage of their wealth over five years, whilst 10 are rich and gain more. Is that fair?

It's quite simple what he's asking Bruce - is it fair that, in general, the poor have been ransacked whilst the rich have got richer over the past five years? It's not a political question, and it's not something you need facts or figures about - it's a moral question.

I can take British politics completely out of it if you want - say there's 5,000 people - 4,990 of those people are poor and lose more as a percentage of their wealth over five years, whilst 10 are rich and gain more. Is that fair?
But as Bruce has already said, how can you say if they have made their money unfairly? What if they have developed a successful business that sells goods fairly, not ripping anyone off or evading tax?

Oh deary me.
If I was a voting member of the British Public I wouldn't vote for Mr Cameron, purely on the fact that he has lied to the public about supporting a football team.
Anyone who 'supports' a football team, has an emotional attachment to that team in some shape or form, and when asked about it isn't going to come up trumps and accidentally state he supports another team.

How do you get West Ham mixed up with Aston Villa if you consider yourself a supporter? Sure they wear the same coloured strip but they aren't even from the same part of the country.

Perhaps a minor thing to some, but for me it is something that underlines a sad lack of character in the man.

But as Bruce has already said, how can you say if they have made their money unfairly? What if they have developed a successful business that sells goods fairly, not ripping anyone off or evading tax?

I'm not saying the rich earned the money unfairly though, I'm saying whether the general nature of the wealth reduction for the many at the same time as the wealth increase for the rich is fair in principle. As I said, it's a moral question - it becomes political when you discuss how to redress that balance, and that's where it's fair to say "I don't know the answer to that". But that's not the question being asked.

Perhaps for the benefit of those finding @Tubey 's question a little difficult we can break the question down further and do a multiple choice style answer:

i) Is it fair that the poor have got poorer in the last 5 years as a result of Government economic policy?
A) Yes
B) No

ii) Is it fair that the rich have got richer in the last 5 years as a result of Government economic policy?
A)Yes
B)No

Perhaps for the benefit of those finding @Tubey 's question a little difficult we can break the question down further and do a multiple choice style answer:

i) Is it fair that the poor have got poorer in the last 5 years as a result of Government economic policy?
A) Yes
B) No

ii) Is it fair that the rich have got richer in the last 5 years as a result of Government economic policy?
A)Yes
B)No
Has any government in the last sixty years made the poor richer and the rich poorer? Genuine question.

So, by definition, there were lots of poor people after 13 years of a Labour Government, presumably as a result of government policy?

Is it fair that the poor have got poorer in the last 5 years as a result of Government economic policy?

A) Yes
B) No

A)Yes
B)No

Or, put another way, is it right that the poor are footing the bill for the recession?

Last edited:

So, by definition, there were lots of poor people after 13 years of a Labour Government, presumably as a result of government policy?

There have always been poor people but for most of the 20th Century even the poor saw living standards rise.

What is unique about the last period of Government is the fact that the poor, working and non-working have seen a fall in living standards at a time when the wealthiest members of society have never had an easier time of increasing their wealth.

Hence the question, is that fair?

A) Yes
B) No

A)Yes
B)No

That's not actually my question though! If it were, my answer would be B and A!

There's nothing wrong with people earning money; what my question is whether there's something wrong with the less well off in society being hammered by central policy, whilst the well off aren't.

I may be being naive here but for one to get more the other must get less. The distribution of wealth worldwide is scandalous, footballers or pro sports in general my biggest gripe.

The current distribution is disgusting yes. But it is possible for the poor and rich to both increase their wealth at the same time. Wealth isn't finite as the right will keep telling us. We have wealth creators remember.

That's not actually my question though! If it were, my answer would be B and A!

There's nothing wrong with people earning money; what my question is whether there's something wrong with the less well off in society being hammered by central policy, whilst the well off aren't.

Hahaha I was trying to make it easier to answer.

I'd agree with your answer btw. The last 5 years have been hugely profitable for me, Government policy have made making money in this environment incredibly easy If you have an asset base to exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back