Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, what is this fairness you all speak of? As a British citizen we have so many cards stacked in our favour and very few of them would be considered fair to the majority of people on our planet. Tell them all about fairness.

Come on Bruce.

Britain is the most talented cycling nation in the world. Does that make it right and fair that I could race you, me on a £5000 super light carbon framed racing bike and you on a raleigh chopper?

The stat about % of income in all taxes is a little bit misleading isnt it?

Like if I buy a £20 pair of jeans, and a millionaire buys the same pair of jeans, then we pay exactly the same in VAT, but that as a % of my income is miles more than a millionaires.

It's an absolute disgrace that the poorest 10% of households are paying anything like 43% of their income in all taxes. Should be < 20%.

It's why the "taken out of tax altogether" argument from the Tories holds no water - they haven't been; they've simply been taxed harder elsewhere. Living standards are through the floor not just because of Income Tax.

At the very least, in the interest of fairness, the poor and rich alike should be taxed identically - which means that in a period of austerity, the rich should be paying 43% alongside the poor if using the above figures.

Arguably, the rich should be taxed more, as the burden on them in relation to living cost is a lot more tolerable. But to suggest the current system is "fair" in any way, shape or form is just mind-boggling to me.

Like if I buy a £20 pair of jeans, and a millionaire buys the same pair of jeans, then we pay exactly the same in VAT, but that as a % of my income is miles more than a millionaires.

Which is exactly why raising VAT hit the poorest hardest.

Correct, but inflation not rising in line with wages negatively impacts the lesser off more than the well off, so the impact of that VAT is much worse. So the answer to that is to raise other taxes for the rich and provide a break for the poor, so the impact is more equal.

Correct, but inflation not rising in line with wages negatively impacts the lesser off more than the well off, so the impact of that VAT is much worse. So the answer to that is to raise other taxes for the rich and provide a break for the poor, so the impact is more equal.

Well the nil rate band almost doubling could be argued benefits the poorer more than the rich. As a % of income and all that. I reckon the tax take is about maxed out if I am honest, and there have been quite a few tax changes that do hit the wealthy pretty hard. And I am not on about the non doms and squillionaires, I mean those earning £100-200k. The effective rate for some one on about £130k is something close to 60%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back