Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took us into a double dip recession is what happened. Or maybe that was the pasty tax.

An extra 2.5% on VAT gave us a double-dip recession? (which didn't happen, by the way). That's some interesting economic theory you're working from there...

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/regressive-tax-explained-what-is.html?m=1

VAT is usually the most commonly cited example of regressive taxation. Research has consistently proved that the poor pay a higher share of their income in VAT than the rich. This is due to the Marginal Propensity to Consume(poor people spend a higher proportion of their income, rich people save a higher proportion).

A study by the Office for National Statistics in 2008/09 found that the poorest 20% of the population spend 8.7% of their income on VAT, whilst the wealthiest 20% spend only 4.0% of their income on VAT. The evidence is absolutely clear that VAT is a regressive tax, however that doesn't stop right-wing VAT apologists lying about it. They often claim that VAT is not regressive because rich people spend more than poor people, therefore they pay more VAT, but this is a deliberately misleading argument. It doesn't matter that a wealthy individual actually pays more VAT in cash terms (because they buy expensive clothes and luxury items for example) because the VAT burden in relation to their overall income is still much lower than the relative VAT burden on a poor individual.

One of the key indicators that VAT is a regressive taxation is that it is highly favoured by the Conservative party. They have increased VAT on several occasions, including 1979, 1991 and most recently 2010, just a few weeks after categorically stating that they had no plans to raise VAT during the 2010 General Election campaign.

There are few positives the tories have done in the last 5 years for anyone who is poor and their promises for the future look even bleaker. Some people vote on specific issues such as the NHS or immigration. At a national level the issue that concerns me most is social inequality. In my mind, if we can't work to rectify that then, as a nation, we are letting a significant number of people down.

But, I will say it again. I will not be voting for a party. I will be voting for a member of parliament to represent myself and my community at Westminster. The issues that most concern me locally are affordable/social housing, education, and the nuclear industry. (To name a few)

Again though, why should I criticise Labour and praise the tories? This is an election campaign and I'm a Labour supporter. I know in my mind where the Labour party have gone wrong historically. I have spoken at length with my current mp about it and am satisfied with the way he will represent my views moving forwards. I shall be voting for him again. This is not to say I haven't listened to what the other candidates have had to say. I've been to hustings and I've invited candidates of 4 parties into my home.

My judgement is balanced. My support doesn't need to be.

You should critics anyone who deserves criticism and praise anyone worthy of praise. That's how balanced and objective opinions are formed.

You are voting Labour and yet it would seem, like the rest of the country, you have no idea about their economic policies. Can you please explain that to me?

I've always voted Labour since I could first vote in 1983 and I don't think that the Labour Party themselves, never mind their supporters, currently has any idea about their own economic policy.

I've always voted Labour since I could first vote in 1983 and I don't think that the Labour Party themselves, never mind their supporters, currently has any idea about their own economic policy.

Which I kind of agree. Why would a political party seeking to be elected as government, not, repeat not state their critical economic policies? I believe the real truth is that revealing their financial plans would be deeply unpopular with their core voters and not too dissimilar to the Tory's.

I personally believe that no political party should be allowed to stand for office unless they comprehensively publish their economic policies. I can't actually believe we are in a position where I have to say that? Utter disgrace.

An extra 2.5% on VAT gave us a double-dip recession? (which didn't happen, by the way). That's some interesting economic theory you're working from there...

Labour were really upset that we didn't have a double dip recession.......sad when all they have is aspiration for the country to fail........

You should critics anyone who deserves criticism and praise anyone worthy of praise. That's how balanced and objective opinions are formed.

You are voting Labour and yet it would seem, like the rest of the country, you have no idea about their economic policies. Can you please explain that to me?

If anyone on these boards or indeed anywhere on the country is going to vote thinking that they know the minutiae of any party's plans then they've done really well.

I have explained I am not voting Labour. I am voting for an individual to represent me and my community in Westminster. I know that he will deliver in regards to specific projects I am involved in, relating to housing in an area where housing is out of reach of most locals He has the interests of my local economy at heart (and boy is our local economy a controversial one). He is probably more clued up on the safe storage and disposal of nuclear waste than any other candidate across the country. His interest and knowledge in education in this area outstrips that of the candidates standing against him.

At a national level he has not introduced the bedroom tax, cut disability living allowance or child support. He is opposed to right to buy and is committed to tackling the issues of disproportionate housing costs in a low wage local economy.

What will you be basing your vote on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back