Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...erty-next-five-years-heres-how-stop-happening

Rising inequality will see 1.2 million children fall into poverty between 2015 and 2030, unless dramatic action is taken after the General Election. A new Fabian Society report Inequality 2030 projects that, in all, an extra 3.6 million people will be living in poverty by 2030, with the number of children in poverty set to rise by almost a half.

Other groups to suffer huge increases in poverty include disabled adults below pension age (with 1.3 million more falling into poverty) and lone parents (the number in poverty will double to over one million).

And that doesn't take into account any further cuts which may be introduced in the next parliament. Messed up. It really is.

With SDLP/Plaid/SNP/Green votes they'd be able to do it (and the anti-government bloc would be fatally disunited anyway by that stage, so the numbers in passing a budget/legislation would not be an issue)
It'd be nice, instead of minor parties having to (formally or informally) pledge allegiance to a major party, if they could all stop their constant petty bickering, come up with some decent ideas and if it's good enough, MPs from across the spectrum of parties will provide a majority.

I know Labour and Tory are rather more centre these days, but I don't get why we have to have this tribalism. It'd be amazing if they stopped constantly slagging each other off and came to a consensus on the right decisions to benefit the whole country.

Just to make it clear I'm advocating capital punishment for crimes such as say terrorism, serial killers, rapists. People who will actually be threats to society when they are released

Maybe it would, but I know a number of people who are annoyed by this still. The money could be spent here, rather than to countries which wouldn't spend a penny to help us if we had a problem. And I understand it's a nice thing to do, but frankly charity should be an option, if someone would prefer their taxes to be spent in the UK that probably should be up to them.
For overseas aid, read 'BRICS palm-greasing'. Don't be fooled into thinking we give all that money out the good of our heart.

Nope. That's democracy in its purest form.

Oh look, he's resigned because of public outrage. People voiced there opinion and he had to act. It's how the system works.

He has said he is resigning to look after his wife who is seriously ill. I am happy to see a modern day politician resigning. I am stopping talking about this now as it looks like I'm DUP bashing. I have no allegiance to any political party in Northern Ireland, they are all as bad as each other, in my opinion.

Big fan of Owen myself, met him a few times and he's a really nice fella as well. His left wing views mirror mine, he cops for some terrible abuse on twitter.

He's too far left for me. I'd imagine him to be a social justice warrior.

There has without doubt been a shift these last few days towards the tories. Most respected opinion polls now have them up, YouGov being the latest. A worry for Labour - the predicted swing is starting to happen.

Big few days ahead for Miliband he needs to stem the flow and fast otherwise it could slip away. Needs to keep within 10-15 seats i'd say which is a maximum of 3 points.

There has without doubt been a shift these last few days towards the tories. Most respected opinion polls now have them up, YouGov being the latest. A worry for Labour - the predicted swing is starting to happen.

I'm struggling to explain why. The Tories have barely put a foot right this last week. I suppose the scaremongering press are having an effect.

Big few days ahead for Miliband he needs to stem the flow and fast otherwise it could slip away. Needs to keep within 10-15 seats i'd say which is a maximum of 3 points.

And in a few days Labour could be in the lead again - it is so tight at the moment any lead is barely worth mentioning.

All we're seeing is the core vote for each party + a few floating voters. The election will be decided by the undecideds, if Miliband has done enough to convince them, he may end up PM, otherwise it'll be Cameron.

I'm struggling to explain why. The Tories have barely put a foot right this last week. I suppose the scaremongering press are having an effect.

Bit depressing about the state of the political consensus in this country if, after 5 years of this dire Tory government and an equally miserable election campaign, so many people naturally gravitate to the tories.

If Scotland wasn't SNP dominated, it would be a different story of course, but Labour struggle just based on England alone. We're a tory country unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back