The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a huge increase in numbers in the year it was announced there would be changes to the system, as many people tried to get into uni before the changes affected them. The following year the numbers fell off the cliff. Since then applications still haven't risen to pre implementation levels.

Categorically true.

583,000 people applied in 2011, to try and beat the increase in 2012. 592,000 have applied this year.

Now i've had a few drinks but i'm fairly sure 592,000 is the bigger number there.

I find it sad that people can be so anti one party or pro another that they just ignore facts on a whim.

Call me an idealogue.. but regardless of the favourable terms of repayment of the loan system, we're just going in totally the wrong direction by starting to charge this kind of money for higher education... in a way it can be a means of regulating the quality of courses on offer - by encouraging people to think twice about applying for courses with no job prospects 'for the sake of it'... but it's on par with the recent privatisation fetish when it comes to changing the way universities are funded and in doing so making education more profit-oriented (this could be in part be owed to the fact that it is now a social 'norm' to go to uni, and it has grown into a market).

And it comes back to the age-old argument of 'generational selfishness'. *sound of tuppence being thrown in*

583,000 people applied in 2011, to try and beat the increase in 2012. 592,000 have applied this year.

Now i've had a few drinks but i'm fairly sure 592,000 is the bigger number there.

I might be wrong but I think your figures are for 18 year olds only.
In regards to total applications from across the globe, these figures are also up. However, the number for UK based students of all ages is still down on pre implementation figures.

Oh look, Brennan defending the Torys' anti-working class policies.

A surprising move from the public school boy.

I might be wrong but I think your figures are for 18 year olds only.
In regards to total applications from across the globe, these figures are also up. However, the number for UK based students of all ages is still down on pre implementation figures.

Some 583,500 people submitted applications by the end of January as demand for degree courses soared by more than five per cent this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...niversity-applications-reach-record-high.html

You are wrong.

Some 583,500 people submitted applications by the end of January as demand for degree courses soared by more than five per cent this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...niversity-applications-reach-record-high.html

You are wrong.
Article proves nothing in this discussion. It simply gives us some figures from 2011. It doesn't confirm that those figures are extrapolated and are being used in the same manner as those in a Guardian report 4 years later. And it doesn't, as far as I can see, separate out any figures for UK students - who are the group affected by the fee hike and the group that the discussion is about.

Article proves nothing in this discussion. It simply gives us some figures from 2011. It doesn't confirm that those figures are extrapolated and are being used in the same manner as those in a Guardian report 4 years later. And it doesn't, as far as I can see, separate out any figures for UK students - who are the group affected by the fee hike and the group that the discussion is about.

Haha ffs.

The figures all come from UCAS.

Haha ffs.

The figures all come from UCAS.
Haha ffs that'll be the same UCAS who process applications from all over the world. You can't interpret the data presented to simply suit your argument. Its the wrong data for this discussion.
Fair dos you have presented data that indicates more 18yr olds from the UK applied this year than 4 years ago. You have presented data which indicates there have been 9k more applications in general between 2011 and 2015. But you cannot demonstrate how many of these 9k are UK citizens.

There are currently over 430k foreign students studying in the UK. Their numbers continue to rise. Numbers from the UK are slowly rising in the 18-21 bracket and are falling significantly in the mature student bracket, since all applications from the UK fell following the implementation of 9k fees.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back